Baby does not eat all HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

bomaroon

We purchased 2 month beardie for my son 2 weeks ago. He eat on the second day, like 10 dubias and superworms. And since then, he does not eat at all.

Temperature is OK, he had regular baths, he is even pooping ever 2-3 days (but I am not sure what because he is not eating). He is 95% of the time on the artifical rock that is on the therarium wall. He does not want to come down to the sand. When I place him on the sand, he usually goes back on the wall after a couple of minutes. Otherwise, he does not look sick. He can run if needed or whatever.

But, even though I place a worm in front of him, he does not eat it. Bugs go over him, in front of him, nothing.

I think he did not grow more than 5% for the last 2 weeks.

Please help me, we do not have any vets here that treat exotic animals. The guy I purchased it from says he does not have a clue what is happening.

LewisBD

Hatchling Member
bomaroon":100kcise said:
We purchased 2 month beardie for my son 2 weeks ago. He eat on the second day, like 10 dubias and superworms. And since then, he does not eat at all.

Temperature is OK, he had regular baths, he is even pooping ever 2-3 days (but I am not sure what because he is not eating). He is 95% of the time on the artifical rock that is on the therarium wall. He does not want to come down to the sand. When I place him on the sand, he usually goes back on the wall after a couple of minutes. Otherwise, he does not look sick. He can run if needed or whatever.

But, even though I place a worm in front of him, he does not eat it. Bugs go over him, in front of him, nothing.

Please help me, we do not have any vets here that treat exotic animals. The guy I purchased it from says he does not have a clue what is happening.

Remove the sand, especially for a young bearded dragon it can cause impaction and eventually lead to death. If you feed him on the flor of his tank, it's most likely he's ingested some sand. Is it calci sand? Because if it is, you must take him to the vet asap and get xrays to make sure he hasn't eaten any of it, that stuff is lethal. Don't feed superworms also, until he's around 16 inches, then he can have them for a once in a while treat. Supers have an exoskeleton that's pretty hard to digest in younger beardies, and they're not very nutritional anyways. I'd stick with the dubias and during the day, offer salad. Does he have a UVB and a basking lamp? UVB is required so they can get the rays and prevent MBD. What's the average temperature in the viv? Does he have a warm and cool side? What do you use to measure the temp with? Stick on or probe?

bomaroon

Original Poster
Remove the sand, especially for a young bearded dragon it can cause impaction and eventually lead to death. If you feed him on the flor of his tank, it's most likely he's ingested some sand. Is it calci sand? Because if it is, you must take him to the vet asap and get xrays to make sure he hasn't eaten any of it, that stuff is lethal. Don't feed superworms also, until he's around 16 inches, then he can have them for a once in a while treat. Supers have an exoskeleton that's pretty hard to digest in younger beardies, and they're not very nutritional anyways. I'd stick with the dubias and during the day, offer salad. Does he have a UVB and a basking lamp? UVB is required so they can get the rays and prevent MBD. What's the average temperature in the viv? Does he have a warm and cool side? What do you use to measure the temp with? Stick on or probe?[/quote]

Hi, thanks for your reply. I do not know if it is a calci sand, the guy who sold me the dragon gave me the sand. He has like a 100 of them, so I thought he knows what he is doing. I feed him on the flor of the tank, yes, but in a bowl, not on the sand itself.

Like I already said, there is no way for xrays or the vet. We do not have the vet that treats lizards.

Funny you say that about superworms. On other websites I read that they are actually the best for young dragons, and that dubias are the ones with thick skeleton and no meat on them at all???

There is an UV lamp, desert +10. And there is heating, and temperature values are OK from what I have read everywhere. He stands usually somewhere in the middle, regarding the temperature. it is about 34 degrees Celsius there.

Mysty

Juvie Member
Your dubia and superworm info is definitely the wrong way round. Dubias are protein rich and great feeders. Small ones are ideal for baby dragons. Dupers are fatty and not very nutritious. Please do not feed any more supers as this could be because there's been trouble digesting them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Usually hatching (baby) beardies are eating pooping machines unless
>> they are stressed (by relocation , or another animal , or because they are being dominated by a tank-mate (sharing with a sibling or another hatchling)
>> they are not warm enough (to digest their food and have a fast enough metabolism)
>> too hot ==> heatstressed
>> they are not receiving sufficient UVA ( needed to promote a strong appetite and activity)
>> occasionally they go off their food when they about to shed (they feel very miserable and depressed and uncomfortable (itchy)
>> seriously impacted (BAD !) , if he's on sand , get rid of the sand , if it's calcisand / vitasand this stuff is lethal as it clumps when damp and reacts to form concrete like blockages in a dragons gut and it's literally a death sentence when this happen.
>> sick (BAD !)
the last two require a qualified herp/reptile vet to assess them and treat the sick dragon else it will die.

Best feeders for a hatchling are
>> BSF maggots (phoenix worms)
>> blowfly gents
>> silkworms ( about 1" to 1.5" long)
>> crickets or roaches or locusts (of suitable size which are dusted and gutloaded)

NO SUPERWORMS or MEALWORMS for a beardie younger than 12 months old.

Comparison of feeders : viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834

A very young beardie / hatchling needs to eat EVERY DAY , MULTIPLE TIMES (recommend three live feeds per day), else it will become malnourished and it will slowly die. Two weeks of no food is a critical situation and needs action taken to get nourishing food into it very promptly, but you need to be careful not to give too much at the start as you now risk overloading it's kidneys. I think you need to make very prompt arrangements to have a good reptile vet check him and determine what is behind this hunger stike and to come up with a treatment / forced feeding plan if he refuses to eat.

Very good idea to review in detail your husbandry and setup , if you work through the cheatsheet methodically it's likely problems with your husbandry and setup will pop right out at you .Cheatsheet viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050
I am betting there are issues related to the basking spot temperature, UV source (poor most or too far away to be beneficial), as well as the already noted sand substrate. You have received very poor advise from who ever gave you advise on caring for him (the seller).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
bomaroon":1k8qb65p said:

<<< any vet can take xrays of the dragon to check for impaction and extent of impaction .
Here's a list of vets viewtopic.php?f=45&t=234369&p=1803862&hilit=melissa#p1803862

bomaroon

Original Poster
Thank to you all for replies.

I removed the sand today, so I will see what will that bring me... Anyways, he eat one small dubia yesterday, but after that nothing again.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
bomaroon":1u7s58i3 said:
Thank to you all for replies.

I removed the sand today, so I will see what will that bring me... Anyways, he eat one small dubia yesterday, but after that nothing again.

And what other changes have you made ?

...based on suggestions above and the hints and guidance in my cheatsheet ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom