Best Mercury Vapor Bulb (MVB)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
So I had a month old 24" Reptisun 10.0 T5 UVB tube blow out this morning, along with my T5 fixture (not happy at all about the fixture). I threw an 18" Reptisun 10.0 T8 UVB tube over my 9 month old female for the meantime, but since she's in the largest enclosure I have, I thought I might try out an MVB for the first time, if it is appropriate for her size enclosure. I've never used one before, always Reptisun tubes, so I need some advice before I but a new bulb and fixture, and before I take my enclosure apart and remove the 24" tube fixture and modify it for a regular ceramic fixture.

Her enclosure is one I built, and it's 4'x3'x2'. It has a ceramic fixture built into the top of each side for her basking bulbs, and right now the 24" tube fixture for her UVB is centered across the middle. So my questions are #1 is an MVB bulb a strong enough UVB light for this size enclosure? Obviously I'll have to remove/change wattages of basking bulbs after I add the MVB in and measure the temps, not worried about that, I just want to make sure an MVB will be a strong enough UVB light...Or should I just order a new T5 tube and fixture and replace what's there? #2 What MVB do you guys consider the best for this size enclosure? I was thinking about the MegaRay simply based on what I've heard, it seems to be the best out there, but maybe not (price isn't a concern so if there's something better and more expensive let me know). And #3 If I stay with a 24" tube (or different length if necessary) is there a better tube UVB than the Reptisun 10.0 T5 High-Output UVB? Is there a more appropriate Arcadia tube for this size enclosure? I have no problem ordering something from overseas.I figure that I only want to rip this enclosure apart once, so if I'm going to change the fixture to a different length or option for a different tube, I want to do it all now. My year old rescue male is in another custom enclosure that I built, but his is only 2' deep instead of 3', and he has the T5 High-Output Reptisun too, and he has severe MBD, so if there's a better tube then I'll probably change his at the same time too...He needs as strong a UVB light as possible. I have yet to build an enclosure for my new boy who is already over 3 months old and growing like a weed, so that's really what I need to concentrate on next.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've also heard all good things about the Megaray, although I've never used one. I've always used Powersun bulbs, beardies have always been healthy + active.

I think Cooperdragon might use the Megaray....I believe he also uses the Arcadia D3 and claims that it still puts out good uvb after more than a year. Hopefully he'll correct me if I'm wrong, you can always p.m him to verify . :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
I don't care for the narrow beam of MVB , they aren't great at making a gradient. How far away is the lamp? The Arcadia 14% is good for a longer distance, otherwise a 12% or the reptisun 10.0 T5 would be my recommendation.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I have this http://www.lightyourreptiles.com/22-t-5-ho-fixture-high-output-with-arcadia-d3-12-ho-bulb/ which is going on 3 years now with excellent output - original bulb. I also have two 100w megaray bulbs that I use for portable basking spots. I like them for that use but as Taterbug said, the beams are a bit narrow for use as a main UVB source in a large enclosure. They also need to sit about 10-12'' for proper UVB output. I prefer using the T5 tube along with a basking light because I can control the heat independently while having the UVB light set at an appropriate height. Having those combined makes it tougher to have both be correct.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom