Any tips on making my beardies more comfortable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibutan

So both of my beardies have coccidia and were given panacur/flagyl as treatment.
It's been a couple days but they're starting to act uncomfortable, lethargic, and not eating.
We're starting the probiotics and carnivore care today, so I'm hoping that will help.
Is there anything else I can do to make them feel better?
I'm very worried for my babes and I'm trying my best to make them comfortable even though I know their tummy is upset :c

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
The probiotics will help them quite a bit. What type are you going to give them? I'd suggest giving them a little Soy Yogurt before giving them the Panacur or the Flagyl, as neither medicine is an antibiotic, so the probiotics will not interfere with the medication, and since both of those meds are very harsh, especially the Flagyl, putting a little Soy Yogurt in their tummies before the meds should keep them from getting so sick from the meds. You cannot do this if they are put on antibiotics, just as an FYI, you must wait a few hours after giving them antibiotics before giving them probiotics because they can interfere with the medicine, but neither Panacur nor Flagyl will be negatively effected by the Soy Yogurt. And even if you ever have to give them antibiotics, always make sure that they eat first before giving the meds to them, it will help.

Also, I'd go buy some unflavored Pedialyte and drip it on their snouts several times a day with an eyedropper, as they need to stay very hydrated while on both of those meds, and the unflavored Pedialyte will give them electrolytes as well as the fluid hydration, which will also make them both feel better. Offer them the Pedialyte several times a day, and give them as much as they'll drink. If either of them happen to drink out of a bowl then add the Pedialyte to their water bowl too. Also, you can bump their enclosure temperatures up about 5 degrees or so, the extra heat can also make them more comfortable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom