Breathing strange after eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Has anyone seen this before? Just have my boy some applesauce to get his bee pollen and milk thistle in him. He was lapping away, and when he was done he was like breathing with his stomach and throat at the same time. Just thought it seemed strange

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Is he still doing it? Any black bearding or weird behavior since? It's possible for them to aspirate liquids and liquid foods like applesauce, baby food, formula, etc. into their lungs, which can be very serious and cause a host of issues like infections and such if they don't clear...

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes when they eat fast they do a bit of heavy breathing. It usually doesn't last long if that's what it is.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
It was brief. However, a month or so ago, due to a "slightly cloudy lung," the vet did diagnose him with pneumonia, which he suspected was caused from aspiration (of some sort of food). He got medicine for it. But he does seem as though he has a bit of difficulty getting food down on occasion. I've also noticed it with arugala leaves. Its as if he's doing what we as humans would do if something was stuck in our throat, you know kind of gulping.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You'll definitely need to keep an eye on it then. If it seems bad enough or too often you might opt for an xray and or throat culture. Hopefully it's just a passing thing though. :)

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Sorry, but just a little "add on," occurred to me to ask your thoughts since i was talking about breathing. Would issues with breathing cause him to be lazy a lot? I mean he doesn't show signs of trouble breathing, and i took him outside for a while today, and he was quite active, walking all over with no trouble, but he spends most his days just laying on one end of his hammock. My wife says he could just be a "lazy dragon," but it seems to be he should be a little more active, even in his enclosure. I mean geez, i made him a 4x2x2 so he could have more room to run around

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well he just had an x ray recently when i thought he was impacted. I asked vet how his lungs looked (as this visit was about a week after his medicine was done) and he said he didn't get a great look at the lungs, but didn't really notice anything concerning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom