Canned Or Dried Insects?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am planning to adopt a rescue in the near future, working on getting everything prepared for him. He's an adult, lost one of his legs to bad husbandry as a baby but is now a healthy active adult up for adoption. His current food is mostly superworms and dandelion greens as the main staples.

I was at the pet store earlier today and saw a variety of both dried and canned insects sold for bearded dragons. These were Fluker's brand. Can you feed adult beardies successfully with these as staple protein? I'm curious about it as a potential option.

Thanks!

LewisBD

Hatchling Member
agkistrodang":bfx78pv3 said:
I am planning to adopt a rescue in the near future, working on getting everything prepared for him. He's an adult, lost one of his legs to bad husbandry as a baby but is now a healthy active adult up for adoption. His current food is mostly superworms and dandelion greens as the main staples.

I was at the pet store earlier today and saw a variety of both dried and canned insects sold for bearded dragons. These were Fluker's brand. Can you feed adult beardies successfully with these as staple protein? I'm curious about it as a potential option.

Thanks!

Since it's an adult, he probably won't grow anymore. Conisdering that, he doesn't need much live food during the week anymore. When you do feed live though, it's better for the bugs to be alive rather canned or dehydrated. A lot of nutrients are lost during the process.

agkistrodang

Original Poster
Thanks! I figured for sure it wouldn't work for babies since they need so much protein, but since this guys grown and doesnt eat a whole lot of bugs anyway I thought it might be worthwile. If anyone has more input or suggestions let me know!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Don't give canned or dried insects , they are not as nutritious as live insects and very few lizards (even wild ones) will touch them. Canned and dried insects are a false economy , you will pay more per insect buying them this way than buying the insects live (even in small quantities from petshops).

Buy good quality live insects see this list for comparison viewtopic.php?f=76&t=234999&p=1807834#p1807834
Aim for higher Ca/P (better than 1.5) and lower levels of fat.

If you want to have a good backup for those times when you can't get live insects is Repashi GrubPie.

I give my adult beardies some live insects each day (in my case silkworms & crickets) and greens most days (my gang prefer life insects to greens).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom