Sperm Plugs During Mating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! New to the forums, but been a long-time lurker. I'm more of a gecko guy, and although I've been keeping beardies for about 10 years now, this is my first time breeding them.

I've paired my dragons twice now, and they expeditiously did the deed both times. That being said, both times they mated, the male produced/dropped a plug during copulation. My assumption is he switched sides and has now dropped one plug per hemipenal "branch." Is it normal for males to produce plugs DURING copulation? I read a veterinary paper suggesting plugs can interfere with proper insemination, and was curious if viable sperm would have passed after the plug was dropped or not. I'll pair them again in a couple days for the last time, but was curious if this is commonly observed, as I can't seem to find a concrete answer or reference to it's occurrence. Thanks for any help in advance!

Kind regards,
-Matt

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hello Matt....I don't know about others but I've never seen it from any of my males during the 20 years that I observed my dragons mating.

CreativeUsername

Original Poster
Thanks AHBD!

I can only surmise that this happened because he's just out of brumation, and despite being an older dragon (about 4 now), this is his first time breeding. I'll observe what happens the next time they're paired and report back for reference. Thanks again!

Kind regards,
-Matt

CreativeUsername

Original Poster
Just for future reference, I paired them one last time and no plug was produced during copulation. Perhaps this is something to note for first time breeders, or males just out of brumation, or perhaps my male is just a bit odd, haha.

Kind regards,
-Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom