New Beardie not eating regularly and was slow to wake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaking

So I posted last week about my new beardie that wasn't eating well. I have the temps/basking/Uv/humidity under control it seems. It was suggested that he needed more time to adjust to his new environment. I have had him 11 days. He's still not eating well and this morning he was sleeping when I turned on his light, he did not open his eyes. I touched him and nothing. I seriously thought he was dead. I come back a little later and he was on his basking platform like nothing was wrong. But now he looks like he is shedding on his face. Is this normal? What else should I do?
full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks alert. The shed is probably bugging him. The face sheds tend to be especially rough. His appetite will likely kick in once the shed is done. It's also common for them to be a bit slow going in the morning. I would set the basking light to turn on about half an hour to an hour before breakfast/morning routine to give him time to wake up and get warm and ready to go.

Kaking

Original Poster
Thanks. He does look bright and pretty now... I hope he starts eating better soon. He's got me a worried mess. I'm new to these and so I panic over everything. :D

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I understand the feeling. It's tough to know what they need without them being able to make sound. After a while you'll get tuned into his moods a bit more easily but the anxiety sticks around. Just make a post if you have questions or concerns and we'll be glad to double check things.

Kaking

Original Poster
Another question... he has shed all the way down to his back legs and it seems stuck there. Is there anything I should do? I have been misting more and I gave him a little soak this morning.

charmander16

Juvie Member
What are you trying to feed him? I suggest black soldier fly larva and small dubia roaches. Both can be ordered on-line, and they are much easier to feed than stuff like crickets.

Also check this out, this helped my dragon eat much better: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=231135

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Kaking":1ja3393h said:
Another question... he has shed all the way down to his back legs and it seems stuck there. Is there anything I should do? I have been misting more and I gave him a little soak this morning.

I'd leave it be for now unless it looks like it's cutting off circulation. They can take some time to complete a shed but are pretty good at managing on their own.

Kaking

Original Poster
charmander16":vpd2fgx2 said:
What are you trying to feed him? I suggest black soldier fly larva and small dubia roaches. Both can be ordered on-line, and they are much easier to feed than stuff like crickets.

Also check this out, this helped my dragon eat much better: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=231135

I have just been doing crickets and greens... our local pet shop really only has crickets and a few other things that are still too large right now. I found the black soldier fly larva on amazon... so I'll try those. I also like your feeding dish. I'll try that too.

charmander16

Juvie Member
This is the roach supplier I use: http://www.westcoastroaches.com/

They are super easy to keep, easier than crickets. If you don't have anything to keep them in, just go get plastic bin with a lid and poke holes in the lid. Something like 2 to 5 gallons will be fine. Just throw some old egg cartons or crumpled newspaper in there for then to hide in, and I just give mine ground up dried dog food (grain based, not "real meat" type).

Reptilelady

Sub-Adult Member
Awe cute beardie :D
Definitely dubia roaches and BSFL are the way to go. I was feeding my beardie crickets and after awhile just didn't really care for them to much so variety is definitely must for them since they are picky eaters. Offer a variety of insects they will keep up their appetite. Also , when shedding they can go through phases of not eating or being lazy or both. Each beardie is different, but as it looks your beardie to be active so that's a very good thing.

Kaking

Original Poster
So just wanted to say thanks for the tips. I got some grub pie that someone suggested and he wouldn't eat it, but I did get some slurry in him when he thought it was water. Lol. Then the next day my fly larvae came and he ate several of those. Guess he was tired of crickets. I feel better now he is eating some!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom