Swollen Legs

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has been to the vet and they tried to draw fluid off of his legs but there is no fluid. Currently all of his legs are swelling. He doesn't appear to be in pain and gets around fine. He is also eating great. The vet suggested that we soak his feet in iodine and water for two weeks but that has not changed the swelling. We are give him repti-calcium with D3 one day and the next we give him a herptvite multivitamin alternating every other day on his greens. He has a solar heat mercury-vapor bulb (160 watt) along with a reptile uvb 150 and reptisun 10.0 uvb lights. We put him in water and goes to the bathroom every two days. We are concerned about his feet swelling and it looks painful but he has not shown any signs of pain or change in behavior. He is in 125 gallon aquarium alone.
93564-3429197292.jpg
93564-4215123523.jpg

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. Unfortunately it looks like could be gout. You can give him some black cherry juice and that helps to break up the uric crystals. I'd get a blood test to confirm it.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree, that looks like it could be gout and a blood test is a good idea. The dark cherry juice/extract may help reduce the swelling a bit. Offering plenty of water will help keep him hydrated and reduce strain on his kidneys. I would also reduce the protein in his diet for now unless the vet says otherwise. If it does turn out to be gout, medication can be prescribed to help try and keep it in check but it's an ongoing treatment.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Agreed, it looks very much like gout, which can become extremely painful for him. He needs to have blood work to check his uric acid levels, and I'd also make sure that they check his kidney and liver functions, as well as his Creatine Phosphokinase levels to test for muscle damage or breakdown.

If it is gout the vet should prescribe Allopurinol daily to treat it, which works very well and is inexpensive. For the time being try to find the black cherry juice/extract to help with the swelling, and if you could order silkworms for him they are great feeders for beardies with gout, they contain serapeptase, which is a natural pain killer. I'd lower his insect intake from now on, as protein intake makes this worse and can really cause kidney issues. Lots of fluids, getting some unflavored Pedialyte and giving it to him with an eyedropper on his snout is good, he needs lots of hydration to flush out his kidneys.

I have no idea why the vet recommended soaking him in Betadine, unless he thinks it's some kind of external infection, but I wouldn't think it would help at all.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry that your beardie is having this problem....I suspect gout,too. What type of insects was he eating ? His protein should be cut back as was mentioned. Another important question, how is he hydrated ? A dragon with gout needs extra hydration so be sure to offer it orally with an eyedropper or syringe [ dripping steadily on his snout ] This can be offered alone or with the chery extract.

Another adjustment is to offer the multivitamin only once a week or twice at most, and only very lightly on his food. This can be suspect in human gout at times....too much vitamin supplementation.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Since you are using a Mercury vapor bulb, along with a tube UVB light, I would cut the calcium
with D3 out completely right now & just use regular calcium without any D3.
As suggested, definitely try to get some Black cherry juice/extract to help reduce uric acid
levels. He is big enough that he could undergo a blood test. That is the only true way to
determine gout.
I am glad to hear that he has a good appetite. Also, look into getting some alfalfa meal to
help reduce uric acid, then increase his greens if you can.
Do you have a vet that you can take him to see, for a blood test?

Tracie

powhatanking

Original Poster
destiny1998":xpc8fhli said:
Hi. Unfortunately it looks like could be gout. You can give him some black cherry juice and that helps to break up the uric crystals. I'd get a blood test to confirm it.

powhatanking

Original Poster
AHBD":yehvit7k said:
Hi there, sorry that your beardie is having this problem....I suspect gout,too. What type of insects was he eating ? His protein should be cut back as was mentioned. Another important question, how is he hydrated ? A dragon with gout needs extra hydration so be sure to offer it orally with an eyedropper or syringe [ dripping steadily on his snout ] This can be offered alone or with the chery extract.

Another adjustment is to offer the multivitamin only once a week or twice at most, and only very lightly on his food. This can be suspect in human gout at times....too much vitamin supplementation.
AHBD":yehvit7k said:

powhatanking

Original Poster
Drache613":3uwjbpqc said:
Hello,

Since you are using a Mercury vapor bulb, along with a tube UVB light, I would cut the calcium
with D3 out completely right now & just use regular calcium without any D3.
As suggested, definitely try to get some Black cherry juice/extract to help reduce uric acid
levels. He is big enough that he could undergo a blood test. That is the only true way to
determine gout.
I am glad to hear that he has a good appetite. Also, look into getting some alfalfa meal to
help reduce uric acid, then increase his greens if you can.
Do you have a vet that you can take him to see, for a blood test?

Tracie
powhatanking":3uwjbpqc said:
AHBD":3uwjbpqc said:

AHBD":3uwjbpqc said:

powhatanking

Original Poster
I'm going to stop now I'm wasting your time this is my first time with smart phone and internet. A dummy with a smart phone thanks for trying

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are definitely not wasting our time. Are you trying to post more pictures?
How is your dragon doing this evening?
Did they not try to aspirate fluids from the joint areas? I would highly recommend them doing
a blood test, did they not mention that? A blood test would help diagnose that.
With this type of swelling, there are only so many things that it could be. Were you able to
get some black cherry juice yet, to help out his kidneys?
He most likely will need to get started on Allopurinol to help with this condition, assuming it
is gout. It is imperative though, that he gets some type of treatment soon, so that the
swelling doesn't get worse.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
The easiest way to post images here is via either TinyPic or Postimage.org , both are free image posting hosts.
You simply connect to the host , select the size image you wish to post , upload from a web connected phone or computer's harddrive , and copy the image code to the post inbetween these two codes

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
You're not wasting our time at all, we obviously are trying to help you and very much want to help your beardie get well. It's very possible he's sick with gout, which is serious but very treatable, and we want to make sure he gets whatever help he needs. Don't worry about not understanding the website or your smartphone, it happens to all of us. I'm 37 and I grew up with computers, and right now a 7 year old knows more than me about most current technology! Trust me, you needing help posting photos or responding to quotes correctly is not what's important right now.

powhatanking

Original Poster
ok the lights got install last saturday so now we have the 48 inch zoo med t-5 10 uvb and a new 150 watt basking light along with 2 other bulbs and just had a reptile vet appt today the vet said he thought was was to much calcium being give change vitamins to 1 day a week and reduce the calcium and didnt think that it was gout he took and xray and didnt see any crystals in the xrays he did say that ok to give him crickets and grasshopper for the protein in them but to stop the superworms due to to much fat content in them he said that it was inflammation and he gave him a shot of baytril and we go back on thurs so i will up date you then

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Watch the swelling closely because if it's gout the Baytril will make it worse.
A blood test should have been done to determine the uric acid levels. The uric acid
crystals are not always readily seen on x-rays, because it's dependent on the composition
of the crystals.
Has he improved any? Try getting some alfalfa meal too for a protein supplementation &
help with uric acid levels.
I am glad you got the new UVB T5 10%, that should help out a lot. Oversupplementation
is a possibility, without the proper UVB, absolutely. I would knock out any D3 supplements
you give & limit calcium to 3 times per week but increase oral fluids.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom