Basking Bulb: Proper Wattage for Juveniles?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garrus

Looking for a basking bulb. I was going to go by the recommendations in the lighting guide, but then I remember juveniles and babies like it hotter. I'm using a 40 gallon breeder, so from the 50-65 watt bulb, how many watts higher should I go?

Edit: To clarify, the house is kept at 75 degrees. The room that will house the dragon runs a little warmer sometimes, but not by much.

charmander16

Juvie Member
I used a 100w basking bulb in my 40 gallon tank. I had to get the basking spot about 8" away from the bulb to get the proper temp. This is typically okay if you are using a T8 UVB light or a T5 through a screen. (assuming those lights are the same distance from the basking spot as the basking bulb).

I think 100w is generally good. You shouldn't need to go to 150w. If you need more heat then move the spot closer. IMO the 150ws are a little scary in a typical residential setting as they get pretty hot.

Garrus

Original Poster
Bought one 100 watt basking light and a digital thermometer with probe, both Zoo Med.... I'm thinking the zoo med bulb is too powerful, I have the probe on the basking spot and it's reached 116. Fixtures just came in today, so this was my first chance to actually test them. I AM using the probe correctly, right? The tip is in physical contact with the basking log.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Yeah, that's proper usage. But how close is the basking spot to the light? If you can move the basking spot down a little or the light up a little I would try that. Sometimes just moving it 1 inch can decrease the temp quite a bit. 116 is really close, it won't take much to get it down to 110. To move it up if you don't have a stand or anything just prop it up higher with some pieces of wood or brick or something.

Garrus

Original Poster
Distance between the bulb and the basking spot was ten and a half inches. Current distance is about 13 inches, with the UVB light on top of the screen as well.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Well maybe you should step down to 75 watts then. Also check out CooperDragon's setup, where he has his basking lights on stands up above the viv. That's another option, but yeah, you don't really want to move the spot down any more cause it will be too far from the UVB.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I agree that moving the bulb further away may be helpful. I like using the adjustable lamp stands to fine tune the output. I don't recommend having the bulb closer than about 12'' to ensure it's projecting a nice wide beam over the basking area so I prefer more powerful bulbs higher up rather than lower powered bulbs close in.

Here is how I have mine set. Basking light is on the left and megaray heat projector is on the right.
76248-8116646078.jpg

Garrus

Original Poster
75 watts seems to level out at about 111.3 degrees Fahrenheit. Should I go down to 50 watts? Stands are not an option at the moment, I literally have nowhere to put them. And I definitely do not need a ceramic heat projector, base temperature of the room is 78 even without the heat lamp on. Or rather, I'm starting to doubt my thermometer.

charmander16

Juvie Member
Nah, 111 is close enough IMO. Think about it, out in the real world temps get WAY over that. Take the temp on a rock on a hot summer day. It's in the 150+ range.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom