Alucard's Journey

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try not to make this introduction too upsetting.

After the sudden and tragic passing of my two year old, Simon, I had an empty enclosure and a beardie sized hole in my heart.
89300-3843667037.jpg
Simon was buried in my front yard, and a red maple tree was planted on her grave site as a memorial. Richter came to show his respects. As time passes, this whole area will be converted into a beautiful garden in her honor. Rest in peace, Simon. You were truly loved.

I'm on day two now and am still grieving horribly, but if I could turn her empty enclosure into a great home for another dragon and give them a good life, why not start now.

Alucard has been introduced to the house. She will never replace Simon and she knows she has big shoes to fill. She was also taken out to pay her respects to Simon's memorial site. She is a normal morph little girl beardie, just like Simon, and has a lot of spunk and a big appetite.
89300-7798508443.jpg
89300-3971542507.jpg
89300-1875719643.jpg
89300-339092631.jpg
89300-291837301.jpg

She's about two months old, 8.5", and 32g.
She will inevitably lose the very tip of her tail, but it looks like this is healing well and will not cause her any concern.

I look forward to the love and laughter she brings to me and appreciate her presence turning Simon's home into something positive again.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":o6myux7p said:
Such funny critters! I've never seen the arm waving in person but have seen plenty of head bobs and beard puffs =). Why is there no head bob smilie available? This is sort of close :headbang:

Close enough!
Having one beardie is amazing, having two makes it like a cartoon..

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Hey, Girl Power, little Alucard!! 8)

Who knows, she might end up being way bigger than Richter, she's still got lots of growing to do! :)

And everyone knows, girls are smarter, braver, and stronger than boys anyway! Hahaha. :wink: :lol:

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Hehehe. You know I jest. :D :lol:

But I am interested to see what difference it will make living so close to a boy when it comes to unfertilized egg time. I've only ever had females when they were the only one in the house, or too sick to make eggs anyway (rescues), so we never actually had any eggs to worry about!

The Muppet babies seem like they're gonna be trouble (and definitely fun cartoons to watch!) when it comes up to puberty time!! :shock:

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Yeah, this will get interesting fast.
When I had Simon, Richter was still a baby, but he's nearing a year old now and definitely in his angsty teen months right now. Alucard is only about 5 months, but they are both very aware of each other. With her being an independent lady, I'm interested to see if she will be egg heavy or continue to fight for dominance in adulthood

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
What, it's not interesting enough already? :lol:

Stand by for more action/adventure "cartoons" starring Richter and Alucard, folks! Here comes puberty, ready or not... :mrgreen: :blob5: :blob8:

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Richter quickly goes from waving to headbobbing, like he doesn't recognize her and suddenly it's "OH IT'S YOU AGAIN! *angry!*"

I leave his enclosure door open when I'm home and he'll come and go as he pleases, but he hopped out yesterday, and looked up at Alucard. She black bearded, started headbobbing, he started waving ridiculously, then had the moment of "HEYWAIT!" and went right into aggressive head bobbing and hand slapping. Alucard admitted defeat and started her slow bobs again.

It's always interesting :lol: and they're constantly making me laugh.

Weigh-in is tonight, really hoping for some size progress from Alucard. I'm unsure if the coccidia meds slowed her growth for a bit, or if she just needed a breather

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
These two sound hilarious. :lol: You could probably get enough material for a weekly sitcom about the beardie couple competing for who gets to "wear the pants" in the family.

I've noticed (just from watching the stuff on this website about weigh-ins and measurements, even though I've never raised one from a baby myself) that little beardies don't seem to grow at an even rate -- they tend to do it in fits and starts. But I wouldn't blame you for worrying at least a little bit too much about Alucard, considering everything you've been through with your reptiles in the last year.

I hope these two will continue to stay healthy and entertain you with their antics for years to come. :)

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Speaking of weigh ins...
Almost forgot to do them!

We've got some growth out of Alucard, about .25", up about another 20g
89300-1726843557.jpg
89300-2223549034.jpg
89300-2811911074.jpg

And floppy ragdoll Richter
89300-9886942827.jpg
89300-6503436831.jpg

fuchsiaSkies

Hatchling Member
Richter looks so light and sleepy, musta woke him up! :lol:

Good job, little Alucard, keep truckin'! Glad the meds didn't mess with her too much. :D

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Oh yeah, they both got woken up lol.
I was already in bed, with both of them along, so I had to make due.

The medication should be through her system at this point, her appetite is huge again and they both enjoyed Cricket in a Cup© for breakfast and ate like pigs.

Richter is not so subtlety telling me he wants to go outside, and had to make due basking against the patio screen when I failed to give in
89300-818336094.jpg

KozmoRox

Looking good! :D Kozmo is catching up to Richter finally! She's 20" & 458g and feistier than ever! :roll: She's off of her greens for the moment... still eating veggies & fruit and dusted dub though. Need to get her back on greens soon.

89207-9973117504.jpg
89207-7026857300.jpg

So glad to hear Alucard is feeling better! Love hearing your stories! :lol: You sure have got your hands full!

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Something in the window just TERRIFIED Alucard.
She was sitting in the bay window and just took off, jumped onto the floor, and hid under the coffee table. I was able to scoot her out and she was full blown black beard and puff. I'm not sure what scared her, but she is clearly not shy on black bearding. She's calmed down now, this just happened. Richter is just sunbathing in his enclosure so it wasn't Richter induced fear.

89300-7090581804.jpg
89300-3544745841.jpg
Poor little girl...

On an unrelated note, Kozmo is looking great! She better not pass Richter, it would shatter his ego.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Kozmo is looking quite beautiful, and that's a really cute picture of of Alucard peeking over the windowsill to see if the big bad scary thing (whatever it was) is still out there. Sometimes you just never know what's going to freak them out. :?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom