Gout and mbd

Status
Not open for further replies.

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
92838-1852726196.jpg
I am stumped. I am not sure why all these things are happening to this baby. We just had another prolapse and of course it's "Saturday night". It took about 40 to 60 minutes to get the thing back in and I know he was in complete distress.
He is now sleeping, his color is coming back and his beard is still dark but not as much.
Some of his stools are formed with water and others are watery.
Some of the research I've done says to hold off on feeding him, but I'm afraid he may be losing to much weight. This just happened last week.
Maybe I should check his still again? Maybe I should ask the very to put a couple stitches on the side of his vent?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no! I am so sorry, poor guy he cannot catch a break!
Those muscles must be weak for him to be prolapsing like this. Are you giving a soft
food diet right now?
Were you able to call the vet?
Everything always happens on the weekends, no doubt about it.
I am glad you were able to get it to go back in. Stitches would be a good idea until the area
decides to heal up & get stronger.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Hi Tracie!
He's been eating small amounts of greens since his last prolapse and yesterday morning I fed him four medium sized dubias and five baby super worms. He's offered Phoenix Worms daily but refuses to eat them unless they fly. I even offer him butter worms, but he is not interested.
Last night, I attempted to contact doctor with no success because they were closed so my plan of action today will be to observe Sandile this morning for activity etc, attempt to contact doctor again, and hopefully get Sandile scheduled for her to put a couple stitches in. The reptile vet only works on Monday, Wednesday, and Saturday so hopefully he won't have another episode, but rest assured i will be observing him all day today.
What do you think about the dubias and baby super worms?
This week his salad will consist of escarole, collards, and red sweet pepper. I will syringe feed him my concoction of dark cherry juice, butternut squash baby food, alfalfa, bee pollen, Acidophilus, liquid calcium, and I may add chicken baby food. He doesn't really enjoy this feeding so I may not do this everyday.
Thank you for your support!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Poor Sandile, a lot don't really like getting assisted feedings like that. I hope he is feeling better & doesn't have another prolapse. Hopefully the vet will put a few stitches in to help.
So he had some dubias & baby super worms? At least he has eaten something.
Has his beard been normal color then after this last episode?
His salad sounds great, full of variety! Maybe he will eat some of it. LOL
Let us know how he is doing & what the vet says.

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Sandile has good color and no black beard. He didn't eat any greens but he did take one ml of his fluid three times yesterday. I would take him outside in the sun to do it which seemed to help. He doesn't particularly like getting his nutrition this way, but he's licking it up. We were able to see his doctor yesterday which was amazing. Apparently she works every other Sunday. She liked how he looks and that he's active. She will put stitches in if it happens again, ugh. She only wants him to eat soft food for a week. She said only salad, no dubias or baby super worms. This is what he did last week and then Saturday he prolapsed after he ate the dubias and baby superworms. I purchased some recovery food so I thought I'd try that. What do you think?
I brought in a small sample of feces for testing too.

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Fecal exam results came back positive for pin worms and coccidia. We're treating pin worms with panucure. His 1st dose was today and 2nd dose will be in 2 weeks. Doctor wants another check Sept 8th.
I am being very conservative with the amount and size of dubias. I have given him 3 to 4ml of my concoction daily.
I received my order of colloidal silver 500 PPM to help with his immune system but I'm not sure what dose to give.
I also ordered Critical Care to help with his nutrition for a week or two until his rectal muscles heal. I am terrified of another prolapse and I'm not going to be there to help him right away.
Sandile is alert and active. He still has a swollen right foot, but he doesn't appear to favor it at all. He will run around on the asphalt when I take him outside which is so rewarding to see. He is such a happy little guy and I am falling in love! ♥️♥️♥️

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is a strong silver. For that PPM, I would give .25ml daily for him & that should be plenty.
I hope that Sandile doesn't have anymore trouble with prolapsing, he has been through enough!
I'm happy that he isn't favoring the foot, but hope the swelling goes down. At least he is alert &
seems to be doing pretty well, all things considered. The pinworms will get lowered with the panacur.
Did they give medication for the coccidia or were the levels too low to treat?
Is he still enjoying his dubias then?
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
I don't know for sure, but this panacur treatment is taking a toll on this guy. He is not very active today and is not interested in eating anything. He was given one ml of my concoction and then I thought I'd give him a bath, let me say I'm glad I did because this guy must have been dehydrated because he drank a lot of his bath water. He then had a bowel movement which seemed to be a bit too formed in a ball. I think that may be indictive of him being dehydrated. I'm going to make an adjustment in our regime and add more plain water. I thought my home made concoction was enough fluid, but maybe not.
Doctor said there was coccidia but she thought it was too soon to retreat. Do you think we should treat for that now?
My little guy just doesn't look healthy. I have added critical care to my concoction because even though he gained 2 grams I think he is getting bigger but skinnier.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry Sandile hasn't been doing well.
Medications do dehydrate them so adding more oral fluids will probably really help him out.
If he was drinking in his bath then he must have been pretty thirsty!
Were his urates hard then?
Do you know what his coccidia levels were? If they were pretty high, it might be a good idea
to treat for that, if it's affecting his appetite & mood.

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Sandile tested positive for Adenovirus. As heartbreaking as this diagnosis is, it explains why this little tiger has had one issue after another.
We've had a great weekend. Sandile got too bask in the sun run around in the yard and enjoy life too the best of his ability. He's getting use to eating from the syringe.. It takes some coaching but once he starts to lick, I can get 1 to 2 ml in him at a time. I've done this 3 times a day both sat and sun with success.
His feces is soft but he still needs help getting it out at times. While Sandile was soaking up the sun, I noticed a sudden color change. He went from dark to very pale and I new something was off. As I picked him up, he had feces hanging from his vent and it was bulging. I slowly pulled the feces out and the bulge went down. I took him to his viv to help him relax and it all seemed to pay off. About an hour later he was ready to go back outside.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry Sandile tested positive for Adeno. That could definitely explain why he has been
having some trouble.
Well, it sounds like he had some fun outside, getting some sunshine!
Is he dehydrated at all, are his urates soft or hard?
At least he hasn't prolapsed though, but that's frustrating when he has a little bit of trouble going
to the bathroom.
I'm happy to hear that he is finally getting used to drinking from the syringe now. It just takes
time but eventually they start liking it.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
Thanks Tracie!
His urates are soft. Everything is soft, it didn't make sense he needed to strain. I have started giving him a bath every other day to allow him to drink some water it he is not getting enough from me since he is not eating any greens. While bathing last night he drank some water and then defecated.
On a good note, he is very alert and he did eat one dubias for breakfast before his syringe feeding. He is such a little fighter.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is great to hear Sandile is having a good day today.
I'm glad to hear he drinks in his bath, that does help. Sometimes they just don't eat greens so
they wont get enough moisture, either.
At least his urates are soft then. Perhaps his muscles in his GI tract are a little weak, which
makes him strain, I am not sure. Be sure to keep his calcium & vitamins given regularly.

Tracie

everynewsunrise

Original Poster
92838-153924255.jpg
12 inches at 59 grams at approximately 6 to 7 months old. I know it might not sound great, but he gained 7 grams in two weeks and I'm ecstatic. He has been drinking 4ml of slurry two times a day. I ordered a few extra supplements to add to Sandile's slurry.
Milk Thistle Seed Powder
Dandelion Greens Leaf Powder
Bene Bac Plus Probiotic Powder
Serrapeptase Liquid 15mL
So, here's more exciting news, he is actively eating dubias. Now mind you, I'm only giving him no more than four to six a week but only because I'm still worried about him prolapsing and worried it would be too much protein for him. I'm sure he would probably eat triple that amount but we're taking it slow. I bathe him every other day so he can drink extra fluid and I can watch him go to the bathroom. My plan is to do a fecal this week to see where he is on his worm count. Keep your fingers crossed everything continues to improve. I know what I'm doing is helping Sandile, but I wish he wasn't adenovirus positive ☹️
92838-7975634327.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Sandile today?
It sounds like you are doing absolutely you can to get him better!
I hope that he doesn't prolapse again, either. That is good to hear he is interested in eating
on his own. A few dubia weekly should be fine, along with everything else you are giving to
him. That's good his urates are soft so he doesn't have to strain & hurt himself.
Hopefully his fecal count will be low as well. Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom