Small year old bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Libbyw

My bearded dragon is about a year old (estimated) as when we got him he was malnourished as he was bought from a pet shop viewtopic.php?f=1&t=227048 this is the original post from three days after we bought him. Casper is still quite small and I wanted to know if anyone else has had a beardie like this or if there is anything I can do to help get him to a regular size. His viv is 4 foot long and temp is at 43.5 C at the hotter end and has 15 hours of UV light although I do get him out of his viv a lot. He eats about 5 locus a day with 1 wax worm which are dusted in either calcium or multivitamin along with veg daily which is usually rocket and occasionally red pepper, cucumber and carrot. I bath him every other day and have had no problems with him shedding. We also got him sexed and he is a male. He is about 210g and these are some pictures of him.
88356-9426128994.jpg
88356-2700601085.jpg
88356-1141379523.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi Libby, he looks very healthy and you don't need to worry ....he still has some growing to do yet. But even if he never gets to be huge that does not mean he's unhealthy. Some dragons are just smaller. Whatever you do, don't add the fatty worms to try to fatten him up, keep on with the healthy bugs you are using.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I concur .... he's in great condition from what I can see.

There is wide range of sizes in beardies (even from the clutch who have had exactly the same husbandry and food (to the bug)). He's just at the smallest end, so long as he is healthy, happy and active and feeding well and had good UV ( how old is his UV light ? ) , nothing to worry about, he still has another year of growth in him.
A friend mine's girl was just shy of 300g at the same age as Casper , and boy is she a force of nature .... she is boss beardie and makes sure everyone knows it !!!

Libbyw

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2gn3eocs said:

There is wide range of sizes in beardies (even from the clutch who have had exactly the same husbandry and food (to the bug)). He's just at the smallest end, so long as he is healthy, happy and active and feeding well and had good UV ( how old is his UV light ? ) , nothing to worry about, he still has another year of growth in him.
A friend mine's girl was just shy of 300g at the same age as Casper , and boy is she a force of nature .... she is boss beardie and makes sure everyone knows it !!!

The UV light was replaced about a month or two ago.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Libbyw":3xr87sbs said:
kingofnobbys":3xr87sbs said:

What exactly is it :
Brand / type / wattage / %UVB rating ?

How and where is it mounted
in a reflector dome or hood / ontop lid or under lid / how far from basking spot ?

Libbyw

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":evcp2iaw said:
Libbyw":evcp2iaw said:
kingofnobbys":evcp2iaw said:

What exactly is it :
Brand / type / wattage / %UVB rating ?

How and where is it mounted
in a reflector dome or hood / ontop lid or under lid / how far from basking spot ?

Here are some pictures for the placement and with the specs of the light and it isn't mounted on anything (the random lightbulb is only there because I was checking if it could mount a ceramic heater and just haven't taken it out yet)
full

full

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
She's realy close to the uvb bulb, you might want to lower her basking log by about 4"at least. That wouldn't have affect on her growth but it could hurt her eyes .

Is the heat bulb anywhere near where she basks ?

Libbyw

Original Poster
AHBD":1hevcwpx said:
She's realy close to the uvb bulb, you might want to lower her basking log by about 4"at least. That wouldn't have affect on her growth but it could hurt her eyes .

Is the heat bulb anywhere near where she basks ?

Yes there is a platform where Casper can get up to so he can bask and I just moved the log so it is laying down instead, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom