Euromastyx

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Ok thanks, i kinda wanted to get a couple from a pet store near me just to get them out of there. Did you see the pic i posted last week of sick looking beardies? They were from this pet store that has two of them. 3of the 4 beardies died the next day. ALL of the reptiles in this store have DISGUSTING tanks! HE SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN! IT'S SO SAD! I want to take them home, but don't know yet of my beardie vet has any experience with them

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
I too, am thinking about getting one. They are awesome creatures! I know, I love the oddball ctritters, the ones that most people cringe when they see them, lol!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Too bad about the beardies. :( Can you get pics of the uro's ? If they look sick + lethargic, they prob. are. Ask the owner where he got them and what they are eating. They are vegetarians so are much easier to feed than beardies but need a slightly higher basking area. [ About 115-120]

But post some pics of the uro's if you can. See if they have a high temp. in the tank, too. See if he knows if they are Mali, Moroccan or Egyptian ' Egyptian get very large ] The first 2 I mentioned are more common. There are other types but not as common and usually more expensive.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
89591-5063529089.jpg
So these are the uros. They're usually laying in that same spot when i go there. I figured they were shy or nervous from all the people. I think they said they were about a year and a half. Not sure the temps cuz the A- holes have NO temp gauges in ANY of the enclosures! I fear they likely are unhealthy. The price on the pair is $250 I want them because they made me want a uro, and because i don't want them to be miserable. I don't look forward to the possibly high vet bills, (if they're truly unhealthy) but do i get one (or a pair) somewhere else because i want a healthy one, while those two poor adorable creatures potentially sit in that hell hole suffering till they die? I hate it! That place needs to be shut down!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
They look plump, so that's a plus. Can you feel the tank , you can at least tell if it's hot that way. Ask to see them, they should be reasonably lively and if their bodies are plump [ they DO have wrinkles at times, that's O.K ] , and if their eyes are clear + they're breathing O.K then they may be in decent shape. Offer a lower price ....do what you think is best.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
In their defense (of health) i did get to hold the yellow one, which i was told was the female, and she was pretty active, continuing to walk over me, whether or not she was trying to get away, back in her enclosure, comfortable, i don't know, but she was alert. And the male, came out and kind of perked up while she was out. Not sure if he was jealous she was out, or thinking "Hey give me my girl back." But it was movement

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You'll get different opinions like some people will say " If you buy those then you're supporting the store " While others would say " save them ". But it's up to you..... it sounds like they're reasonably healthy so if you want them just go in + say " I'll take them both for $200 right now " or something like that. Just have your tank set up ahead of time complete with a very hot basking area.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
There are quite a few bearded dragons at my local pet store in situations that have caused me to walk away crying when I get home... it's a very tough decision. If you buy them, you are saving them from this poor condition, but you are also telling the pet store that what their doing is okay because they'll still get business... very very tough decision.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
i would take them, but im as soft as a marshmallow and although your saving them, the pet store will most likely bring two more unhealthy lizards in after them, the pet trade is horrible but atleast your trying to play your part :( good luck with them! :mrgreen: :blob8:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'd rather support a small time hobbyist AMATEUR breeder who is local than buy any animal who comes from a large scale breeding operation or a petshop ..... Period.

I'd rather not even buy my insects from a petshop either.

Essentially petshops (who stock live animals) have no interest to me, I can buy everything I need for my pets online (and cheaper ! and get it when I NEED IT) , and I don't have to interact a stupid sales' person or deal with getting packing, or waiting to be served.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Funny thing, it's not a chain. It's a small store that's been around a while. Seems to know his stuff but don't practice it. Dave's dragons Manchester nh. Look into then if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carsed
Top Bottom