HELP! Newish Beardie Won't Eat Insects Except Waxworms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! My 1st baby, Sephyra, passed away last year. I got a new boy, Sammy, in March. I was told by the breeder he hatched in Dec. However, he is currently 18" long! Not sure if the age is correct. He used to eat everything moving I put in his tank. Turned his nose up at crickets, so I switched to Dubias and Phoenix worms. Now he won't eat either one! The only onsect he will eat is waxworms. I won't give him mealworms since they come out whole in his poop, and made him vomit twice. He eats his salad just fine. He is misted several times a day, and drinks water from a dropper almost daily. He also poops every day. I will say I just got back from vacation, my Mom watched him at her house. He was so depressed he wouldn't leave the cool side and barely ate. Weirdly, the perimeter of his mouth only looks like it's going to shed, don't know if that's stress-related or not. I am really concerned, since Sephyra was the same way with his eating (though he was sick, and Sammy seems healthy) Any advice? Is this normal?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They tend to go through picky phases sometimes. If he's otherwise healthy I'd just keep offering him more healthy feeder options until he stops being stubborn and digs in. They tend to be this way with superworms too. The shedding is also normal. They often shed in odd patches and it's nothing to be concerned with.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
try some silkworms .... very few beardies can pass them up ....

A happy beardie is one who just vanished a nice big squishy juicy silkworm and has some green dribbling down his chin and looking at you saying " more ! .... gimme gimme gimme" .

SephyrasMom

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2623by3y said:

A happy beardie is one who just vanished a nice big squishy juicy silkworm and has some green dribbling down his chin and looking at you saying " more ! .... gimme gimme gimme" .

I would love to try silkworms, but can't find them anywhere! :)

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Oh no!
Wax worms are like "crack" to dragons! They have very little nutritional value and, are very addictive. They will turn their nose up at other bugs and hold out for wax worms. You have to be willing to tuff it out until your dragon starts eating other more nutritional bugs like dubias, silkworms, crickets or, BSFL.

SephyrasMom

Original Poster
Gormagon":13ie5uwx said:
Oh no!
Wax worms are like "crack" to dragons! They have very little nutritional value and, are very addictive. They will turn their nose up at other bugs and hold out for wax worms. You have to be willing to tuff it out until your dragon starts eating other more nutritional bugs like dubias, silkworms, crickets or, BSFL.

Oh mannn.. my Sammy is a crack addict! Dang it.. I will keep trying, for sure. If anyone knows anywhere to buy silkworms, please let me know!

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
SephyrasMom":dpfhkldq said:
Gormagon":dpfhkldq said:
Oh no!

Oh mannn.. my Sammy is a crack addict! Dang it.. I will keep trying, for sure. If anyone knows anywhere to buy silkworms, please let me know!
You have to buy them online. I have not seen a pet store that carries them.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SephyrasMom":3vfh2pyg said:
kingofnobbys":3vfh2pyg said:

I would love to try silkworms, but can't find them anywhere! :)

If you were in Australia , I'd pop a couple hundred silkworm eggs into an envelope and send them to you , I've literally got 10s of thousands in my fridge from last October and I'm not likely to need to hatch them all.
Got maybe 1000 (???) baby worms that I hatched from my October egg stock a few weeks ago busy eating mulberry leaves now, and another batch I got out last night I'm waiting to hatch.
My trouble right now is I'm running low on fresh mulberry leaves ( is winter here ) and I'm hoping the 1st batch will be getting about meal worm size before I run out and have to swap over to chow , and I'm hoping some leaves become available about the time my 2nd batch hatch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom