Charlie is a spoiled brat

Status
Not open for further replies.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
NBGwen":21ixfihj said:
traildrifterphalanx":21ixfihj said:
I was going to be funny and post a photo of a literally spoiled brat, aka a rotten sausage, but the images results were far more disgusting than I thought.

So here's a puffy/angry outdoor Alucard.
89300-7032325417.jpg

LOL OMG I can just imagine what you found...

Alucard certainly looks unhappy!

Don't google it. Lol

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Almost took Puff outside yesterday -- it was a really warm day for Alaska (70s F) but still not up to beardie digesting temperatures, and he had just eaten a bunch of bugs (with much difficulty) and a few greens (with much coaxing), so he got to spend the rest of the afternoon worshiping his light bulbs as usual. My husband and I have been talking about whether or not he'd even be able to run fast enough and/or far enough to get away from us if we put him down in the grass, since the clover was all in bloom all over our backyard. "Daddy" ended up picking him some dandelion greens and clover before promising to save some of the best dandelion and clover patches, and mowing the lawn...

I tried the google experiment, just out of morbid curiosity. :wink: Didn't find anything -- maybe just as well. :mrgreen:

And speaking of "spoiled", Puff is coming very close to having to be spoon fed live bugs (not an easy thing to do :banghead: ). He's always been a lousy shot with his tongue, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. We're starting to wonder if something is going seriously wrong with his vision or his coordination. We did manage to get a fairly decent video of his attempts, but my husband ran into some technical difficulties trying to email it to the vet to see what she thinks. I think he's still working on it. Meanwhile, I checked his eyes with a little penlight and didn't see any obvious cataracts, but then, I don't have a practiced eye for such things.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
SHBailey":b60bdgyn said:
Almost took Puff outside yesterday -- it was a really warm day for Alaska (70s F) but still not up to beardie digesting temperatures, and he had just eaten a bunch of bugs (with much difficulty) and a few greens (with much coaxing), so he got to spend the rest of the afternoon worshiping his light bulbs as usual. My husband and I have been talking about whether or not he'd even be able to run fast enough and/or far enough to get away from us if we put him down in the grass, since the clover was all in bloom all over our backyard. "Daddy" ended up picking him some dandelion greens and clover before promising to save some of the best dandelion and clover patches, and mowing the lawn...

<<< I can assure you , a bearded dragon in full fright - flight moves FAST , you wont be able to keep up , I spent a bit of my childhood chasing beardies and other lizards trying to catch them and I speak form personal experience.
<<< a harness and a leash are a good way keeping him where you want him .

I tried the google experiment, just out of morbid curiosity. :wink: Didn't find anything -- maybe just as well. :mrgreen:

And speaking of "spoiled", Puff is coming very close to having to be spoon fed live bugs (not an easy thing to do :banghead: ). He's always been a lousy shot with his tongue, but it seems to be getting progressively worse. We're starting to wonder if something is going seriously wrong with his vision or his coordination. We did manage to get a fairly decent video of his attempts, but my husband ran into some technical difficulties trying to email it to the vet to see what she thinks. I think he's still working on it. Meanwhile, I checked his eyes with a little penlight and didn't see any obvious cataracts, but then, I don't have a practiced eye for such things.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I remember putting Gonzo out on the grass last summer when he was healthy...he took off at a run and then puffed out at me when I tried to pick him up lol - they are FAST!

I have mommy guilt - Charlie was shooting me the evil eye last night when we got back from our trip. I waited a bit and then picked him up for a snuggle...he didn't move an inch! He sat on my chest for a good 30 min or more without moving :( Poor baby missed his momma. And we go away for a week in 2 weeks! Thankfully the lady watching my pets loves to snuggle them...though she is a bit nervous of Charlie :(

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I guess we'll have to look into getting a leash or some sort of an outdoor enclosure like one of those pop-up tents or a playpen of some sort for our beardie before letting him loose outside. I've always held him the few times I've taken him out, but he doesn't get much sun with my hands all over him.

No rush -- summer may be over already here in Anchorage. It usually turns cool and rainy here in August, and that's the kind of weather we're having now. We may be lucky enough to get a few more warm-enough-to-take-the-beardie-outside days before the summer is over, but we can never count on it.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I have a leash for Charlie - he doesn't mind it. I want the cord to be longer though, so there's a project for me lol

Anchorage - I can't imagine trying to find live feeders for a beardie there, it's hard enough where I am :| Though, I fully admit - the thought of living in a cooler climate is appealing to me. I have a heat intolerance (thanks MS) and summers kill me. I'm the lady wearing a hoodie in -10 C weather (or colder). I've seen me in sneakers and a hoodie with the wind howling and people thinking I'm insane. Mind you, the coldest it gets here is about -40 C, which ins't horrible.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
The local pet stores around here actually do a pretty good job getting live feeders shipped in -- I've seen them with a pack date only two days earlier than the day they arrive at the store and end up out on the shelf. Lots of our supplies come in on barges through the port, but I suppose the live feeders come in by air -- they wouldn't be able to get them here that fast otherwise. Selection is limited though. We're down to crickets and roaches now that we've sworn off superworms.

I'm surprised that it ever gets that cold where you are. We're about 15 degrees north of you in latitude and it almost never gets that cold around here anymore, although some of the old timers will say that it used to. The arctic tends to be ground zero for global warming. Maybe it's got something to do with east coast/west coast too, or with how close you are to the ocean.

My husband can't stand the heat either, especially if he's doing any kind of physical activity. In his case it's because of a hereditary skin condition which involves, among other things, a lack of sweat glands. But if he's sitting still he gets cold easily too because he's got very little fat on his body, so he's comfortable in a very narrow temperature range. I've got plenty of sweat glands and plenty of fat on my body, so I always figured I was the one who should be able to adapt to whatever temperature is comfortable for him, but ever since menopause my body's thermostat has been "off line" :roll: , so between the two of us and the reptiles, we have a heck of a time keeping the temperatures comfortable for everyone.

So what does everyone think works best for a beardie? A hip leash or a shoulder harness type leash?

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Traildrifterphalanx - that's shorts weather LOL! :lol:

SHBailey - yes, I do believe our proximity to the Atlantic definitely affects our weather patterns. We were buried in snow this past year (if you look in my comment history, I actually posted photos of my car being buried in one storm). The wind chill is pretty cold here. I'm not on the coast, but further inland. The coast of NB gets it bad - especially around Moncton (about an hour inland from the coast, but a major centre here), and the north of the province.

Charlie has a shoulder harness - I feel like there's less chance of him slipping out of it. BUT I have heard others say they prefer the hip ones as they feel there is less chance of injury (I'm not sure I believe that tho).

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Charlie had a bit of a gain this week! I haven't got his length yet though...my cloth measuring tape was in the bedroom with sleepy hubby and 3 year old.

I switched to a bar graph so that the length is more acurate, albeit harder to see :/
87171-5059210202.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
NBGwen":1kt3wjyw said:
Charlie had a bit of a gain this week! I haven't got his length yet though...my cloth measuring tape was in the bedroom with sleepy hubby and 3 year old.

I switched to a bar graph so that the length is more acurate, albeit harder to see :/
87171-5059210202.jpg

I've sent you an EXCEL version of this growth chart , is easier to read .

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Carl
I haven't weighed Charlie lately. We were gone last week on a family vacation. Poor Charlie missed his mommy (me) so much that he didn't eat :( When I got home, he looked dark so I snuggled him and the longer I held him, the lighter he got. I told hubby that we can't leave him behind ever again!

I did measure his length this morning thinking he may be longer based on this -
87171-5718261464.jpg

he's still 19.25 inches long...for reference, I'm only 5'1" LOL! So, yeah, he looks really long on my short *ss legs LOL (he also snuggled in as close to my legs as he could. I felt so bad putting him to bed last night).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom