Sand in enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crazyoscar

Beardie name(s)
Oscar
My bearded dragon have sand in her enclosure and I have been reading how bad it is for them. She really likes to dig, should I take it out or keep it in because she likes it so much?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The concern with sand is that if ingested, it can cause health issues. It can also harbor bacteria if it isn't cleaned thoroughly and often. I suggest using a solid substrate like non adhesive shelf liner or tile that is easy to clean and sanitize. Since she likes to dig, I would add some fleece scraps or small fleece blankets for her to dig around in. They are easy to clean in the washing machine and they are loopless so they won't get caught on her nails.

Crazyoscar

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oscar
Could I put the fleece blankets with other clothes or by itself in the washer/dryer?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Crazyoscar":3sol0cyq said:
Could I put the fleece blankets with other clothes or by itself in the washer/dryer?
Since the washing process is basically a sanitizing method, yes you can wash it with other clothes!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yeah just be sure you use the dryer as well. The heat from the dryer will help kill bacteria from the wash cycle.

charmander16

Juvie Member
You can use sand, but it all depends on how it's done.

I have a separate dig box in my enclosure, and I feed our dragon in a no-escape dish (although we do sometimes put crickets loose in the enclosure as well).

If you keep the sand in a separate dig box and they aren't eating out of that area then it's not a problem. I like the dig box also because it's easy to remove, clean, change out, etc. I just use a 14"X10" plastic tub for the dig box and I'm building a wooden box to go around that for aesthetics. Sometimes our guy sleeps in the dig box.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Daniefran04
Top Bottom