ARM DRAGGING PLEASE HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
AHBD":3ga0z0x5 said:
Even a sprain would be painful + take time to heal. If you've ever sprained your ankle, you know it takes a bit of time to heal + be able to walk on it again.

So I'm hoping it's just that, but it may be more serious. Are you having it looked at ?

I think it's a very wise move to at least have xrays taken.... if it turns out being only a sprain you will know for sure and you'll be greatly relieved and only out of pocket for the xrays and the vet consult.
BUT then if it's a more serious injury , you are better off knowing IMO and getting something done QUICK than waiting and hoping, meanwhile beardie is in agony and risking a serious infection as well.

If this were a child or yourself, I'm betting you'd already been to the hospital by now.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Lol yr right, and I tried to take Lizzy to emergency vet yesterday. As it was Sunday, not one of them had a reptile vet in. Crazy! Tithe vet I'm going to is my dog vet but she sees reptiles too, only appoint she had today was 3:15.

All fine and well to say you would have your kids at the doctor, you cannot be turned away or charged up front for medical services sweetie.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Poor girl, I hate seeing that, those hammocks are such a double-edged sword, they love them (my rescue boy with MBD had one he came with and he is in it 24/7) but their toenails get caught in them and then this can happen. I ended up putting a little blanket overtop and around my rescue boy's and attached it so he can't rip it off, so now he can't get his nails stuck in it. It's much safer now.

I agree on the x-ray, I'm glad you're taking her today soon because it looks very much like a dislocation to me too, not a fracture at all but definitely a dislocation based on the way her arm is hanging and the way she's flipping it around, it looks like it needs put back in. A dislocation makes sense if she got her nails stuck and then fell or yanked it really hard trying to free it. As was already mentioned the longer a joint is dislocated the harder it is to reduce and the higher the risk of infection and bone death, because often the dislocation causes a stop of blood supply to the bones/joint involved. So it's very good she's going for an X-ray today, hopefully they don't see anything and it is just a sprain but if it is dislocated it shouldn't be too difficult to reduce at all, and the recovery time for a dislocation is actually usually shorter than that of a sprain. They'll numb her up, reduce it, splint it short-term while the stretched out ligaments heal so that it doesn't pop out again, and give her some pain meds and antiinflammatories. She'll be fine.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks Ellen, I feel like it's dislocated too. And I wish 3 o'clock would hurry up! she's asleep in her box cave right now and I'm not going to take her out. Just going to gently move it with us for the trip with her sleeping blankY. My next post will be an update on her situation. Hopefully all good news.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hi AHBD, my son and I and Lizzy are in the waiting room now. Luckily she had crawled into her hidey box, I was able to pick it up and put a towel over it so she had a very peaceful trip here and has only just opened an eye to see what the strange noises are.... we are next up to go in. I think I'm going to cry I swear :/

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Aw, it's always an emotional time waiting to see if something is serious or not. All of the possible scenarios are ones that she can recover from. Best wishes for the best outcome possible....she'll be O.K. :)

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Update: Just left the vets but Lizzy is still there.

She is having an x-ray done to be on the safe side.
Laser therapy for shoulder site to promote healing
And a cortisone injection/(something I forgot) for pain)

The vet felt no breaks, was certain she has feeling so no nerve damage but was not altogether certain about dislocation although she said it didn't feel as such but the x Ray is to be sure. Lizzy was chilly from hiding in her cool side so they want to heat her up then do the stuff so I'll pick her up in an hour or so.

No more climbing crap for her I can tell u that! That's why u don't see fishing nets in the outback! (Rant over)

Thanks everyone for your support. This has been awful, I hadn't realized how REALLY REALLY attached I am to Lizzy.

For vet bills: when u are in a situation. Beg borrow or (u know what) and then find yr local charities that assist with vet bills. They exist. I'm working with actors for animals to possibly help with some costs. It's worth the call if yr in a situation. Then when yr life picks up ... donate back and pay it forward!

More when Lizzy gets home.... I'm thinking red balloons and streamers ;)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yay ! Well, I'm sending a big bouquet of lilies,turnip, mustard and collard greens and her favorite insects to bolster her spirits and boost her energy.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm sure she will greatly appreciate that AHBD! And u get the award for correct call! X-ray results.... not breaks, dislocates or otherwise nasty things. She will be in close quarters, soft surfaces and on rest for a couple weeks but I happily take that over the alternative!!

I finished the dishes and was anxious to go get her to wrap her up in her blanky for nigh nights, however, she's returned to her box cave and curled up doggy style with one eye out the beardie door half open in a semi watchful gaze at her humans constant checks. I don't think I should move her since she's had a horrible day and I get the distinct impression she feels safe. I'm just wondering if I should push it to the warmer side of the cage.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Double Yay !! How relieved you must be. :blob5: Glad to hear that it's nothing more....and so rest, no climbing for a while and a little pampering should do the trick. I think you can leave the cave where it is so as not to disturb her but if you can keep the tank around 78 -80 overnight it would be good.

Zanna

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I'm in Southern California, I don't think that's an issue Tonight lol.

I did find out something interesting from the vet today. Lizzy has "more than usual" red and Orange hazing. Lol but I always did think she was more sparkle than usual ;).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Zanna":3jdr024v said:
Lol yr right, and I tried to take Lizzy to emergency vet yesterday. As it was Sunday, not one of them had a reptile vet in. Crazy! Tithe vet I'm going to is my dog vet but she sees reptiles too, only appoint she had today was 3:15.

All fine and well to say you would have your kids at the doctor, you cannot be turned away or charged up front for medical services sweetie.

That's your silly health insurance system in the states. Here, in Australia, you don't get charged upfront and don't get turned away , you need medical attention , it's provided and in hospital it's all bulk billed (you don't get changed a penny).
I spent a month in hospital in October last year , the GP came to my home , ordered the ambulance , and when I was discharged I had an ambulance ride home , cost me $0.00. It's called universial healthcare , every Australian has it , and it's funded through the tax system.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Zanna":60nfx1x5 said:
I'm sure she will greatly appreciate that AHBD! And u get the award for correct call! X-ray results.... not breaks, dislocates or otherwise nasty things. She will be in close quarters, soft surfaces and on rest for a couple weeks but I happily take that over the alternative!!

I finished the dishes and was anxious to go get her to wrap her up in her blanky for nigh nights, however, she's returned to her box cave and curled up doggy style with one eye out the beardie door half open in a semi watchful gaze at her humans constant checks. I don't think I should move her since she's had a horrible day and I get the distinct impression she feels safe. I'm just wondering if I should push it to the warmer side of the cage.

Let her sleep .... the pain meds have probably knocked her out .

I take it the injury is in her shoulder .... will take a while for that to come good .... Is lucky there were no broken bones (evident in the Xrays (no mention in your posts), would have expensive fixing (talk from experience with my BTS George who broke his left upper arm as a boisterous juvenile).

I've a dodgey left shoulder (from a fall over 10 years ago when I also dislocated my left elbow AGAIN, tripped on my own shadow) , loads of physio and it's still not 100% , and still reminds me if I forget it's weakened.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is wonderful news that nothing is broken or torn! Poor girl, I am sure that she was so happy
to be home after her trip to the vets.
She is definitely tired from the pain meds but they will wear off by tomorrow or so & she will be
just fine.
Too bad she wont be able to climb now but it's for her own good!
Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom