HELP!! Very odd beardie behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mkaz12

93314-4740851843.jpg
This is Pickles (from Dethklock), I've had him for over a month now and for the past week he hasn't been that active and just kinda stays in one particular spot throughout most of the day. I threw in a couple of crickets in his tank this morning and completely ignored them. I have no clue as to what is wrong with him. He's got both a halogen mini dome lamp (50w) and a UVB (10.0) lamp. Does anyone know what could be wrong with him?

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. It looks like the uvb is bothering him. I'd replace it with a t5 reptisun 10.0 tube. How do you take the temps and what are they? How big is the enclosure?

eeaston16

He looks very similar to mine when he went into septic shock and had to be put down. Except yours seems more alert. take to the vet asap. Light wattage and temp and when did he last poop? put him in the sink with 90 degrees water for a bath. barely covering him and help hold him up during the bath. about twenty minutes and make sure it stays hot, dry completely before placing him back in

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
I just looked at the picture again noticed he has a cage mate. That is also a problem. He can be dominated by the other. Beardies do not like sharing a cage they need their own ASAP. Beardies fight and will injure each other or even kill.

Mkaz12

Original Poster
destiny1998":13x4i50p said:
Hi. It looks like the uvb is bothering him. I'd replace it with a t5 reptisun 10.0 tube. How do you take the temps and what are they? How big is the enclosure?

That's exactly what I'm using for uvb. The temperature is taken by a thermometer. From 7am-9pm the temperature ranges from 90-100, and then it goes as low as 75 degrees overnight. Both the dragons are in a 20 gallon tank but looking forward to getting another tank so they can be separate.

Vh621

Hatchling Member
As someone already mentioned having two beardies in one tank can be an issue, I can't tell for surw but the other one looks larger if thats the case he will most likely be the dominant one, taking all the food and the best spot for basking. If the smaller one is not able to bask he won't be able to digest his food meaning he won't be hungry he also won't be getting any uvb whoch means he won't be able to absorb calcium. I would seperate immediately set him up in an enclosure with his own lights, see if that helps, if you can't get another tank you can use rubbermaid or steralite tubs at home depot or any home goods store, they are usually cheaper than tanks and hold temperatures way better, 100L is a good size. If your little one is in fact sick you want to seperate regardless ge might have something contagious that can spread to the healthier one.

NinaAmbroshia

Hatchling Member
Someone mentioned taking then to a vet. I think this would probably be a good idea, especially of he has been acting like this for a while. Wheb was the last time he ate and wjen was the last time he pooped?

Mkaz12

Original Poster
93314-719276090.jpg
93314-9268874181.jpg
NinaAmbroshia":3njpph2t said:
Someone mentioned taking then to a vet. I think this would probably be a good idea, especially of he has been acting like this for a while. Wheb was the last time he ate and wjen was the last time he pooped?

I've been hand feeding Pickles today and he ate 5 crickets and half a wax worm. But he still doesn't seem active at all. His head is all loose and whenever I have him on my hand he doesn't hold on to my fingers like he used to he just sort of lays there. The last time he pooped was yesterday. If I leave him on the tank/table he'll just stay in that spot where I left him and won't move, and if he does it's just a little.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Poor little Pickles.....he's so sweet + sad looking. Great news that he ate five crickets, what size were they ?.....just be SURE that they are smaller than the space between his eyes. This is critical for a small baby, I know because I've raised a lot of them. Important to answer, when did he poo last ? The way he's hunched over it looks like he may be impacted, but it could just be him feeling very ill.

And he definitely needs his own home. If he's ill it can be something contagious, plus he needs to rest + be stress free.

He looks like a trans., where did you get him ? If he's been lethargic from the start then it's more than just a cagemate stressing him. He just doesn't look well. Was he from a private breeder ?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Poor little hatchling .... he's in a bad way ....

I STRONGLY suggest moving the larger healthy tankmate out into a temporary rearing tub setup like shown here : viewtopic.php?f=34&t=233480, he can stand a period of relocation stress, while the sick little one can't (could push him over the edge).

A vet visit is good idea as he looks extremely ill to me and you need to know what is causing this.
Keep him warm 24/7 and try to give him some water by syringe (into the corner of his mouth a little at a to avoid his accidently aspirating some (will be very bad if this happens in his very frail state).

I might be looking at getting some VETAFARM HERPABOOST and some REPASHI GRUBPIE and maybe some OXBOW CARVIVORE CRITICAL CARE PLUS a feeding syringe (and possibly a feeding needle to help you get the Herpaboost into his mouth), see viewtopic.php?f=45&t=232687

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom