Parasite and coccidia treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vandy

I had a fecal done today and the vet called and said they found parasites and coccidia so I have a vet appointment Monday. I'm just trying to get a heads up what the treatment is going to be.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Did they tell you what the coccidia levels were by chance, & what other parasites/worms were found?
For most worm issues, Panacur is normally given. I would highly request the use of Ponazuril or Toltrazuril for coccidia. It works better than Albon or other sulfa based medications do.
Let us know how the vet visit goes! Is your dragon eating well right now or has he been ill?

Tracie

Vandy

Original Poster
He's definitely been acting ill. Not a huge appetite but is eating a little bit. All last week he was choosing not to bask and was really lethargic. His poops are looking and smelling pretty bad and has Undigested food in them But now he's back to basking and acting a little more normal. Are those Ned's you spoke of usually given orally?

Vandy

Original Poster
When I spoke with the vet over the phone about the results I did not ask about what other parasites she found or the coccidia level but Monday I will find out.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, let us know how he is doing.
At least he is eating & basking some now. The meds are all oral. So you will need to keep him
hydrated while on meds, too it helps a lot!

Tracie

Vandy

Original Poster
Vet visit was today. It went pretty good. The vet said he only found coccidia and no other parasites. I asked how bad the coccidia was and he said he would call it moderate. He gave him medication orally and said it was a one time thing and didn't send me home with any and just to have another fecal done in 6 months.I asked about cleaning the cage and what to use and he pretty much said the vinegar/water solution is fine because it is a internal parasite . Does all of this sound right to you? And has anybody ever noticed any physical side effects from coccidia? My dragon seems to be choosing not to bask, a slight decrease it appetite. And just acting a little weird. Temps good, uvb good, paper towel substrate. Phoenix worm/hornworm/super worm diet at the moment .

Vandy

Original Poster
Does anybody know if I need to give my dragon probiotics after being treated? If so what kind what brand and where to get it and how to give it to my dragon.???

susanmurl

I'm having this exact same issue. To give you a little back story.

My bearded dragon will be 8 months old on July 17th. Last month we have been noticing smelly and irregular poops(runny - diarrhea) unlike he was having before(soft and firm in shape).

We took a fecal sample to get tested and the vet said he had high counts of coccidia. We were provided with .03 mg of Toltrazuril. 3 days on, 3 days off, 4 days on.

After the treatment, it has been now almost two weeks completely off and he has been eating up to 5 crickets a day...some times none(maybe a bite or two of salad including collard greens, bok choy and green pepper).

He is also drinking and pooping every second day.
I have been reading on here and other forums that they are supposed to take probiotics such as acidophilus+. while on medication and it was failed to be mentioned.

I am in PEI, Canada. I was able to find http://www.probaclac.ca/traveler-formula. No pet stores or pharmacies sell liquids or anything of such for this kind of problem. I am also unable to locate soy yogurt with no sugar added :(

The first one has no dairy products while the second has been in contact with milk and Silica(I had read this shouldnt be given to beardies)

I also recently ordered http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Acidophiliz so i'm trying to see if I can get my baby back. He's just not the same with his eating since taking medication for the parasites.

I'm not giving up. I'll keep you updated.

susanmurl

So I wanted to give everyone an update since I last posted.

I ended up putting the smallest/pinch of powder that was in the Probaclac capsule. It made a significant difference overnight. He went from eating 5 crickets a day since June to 12 in one feeding. So far today he's eaten 21 and he's still hungry. I've been giving him a little sprinkle every second day! I may stop giving it to him to see how he eats in the next few days. I've also noticed a big change in his attitude and alertness!! So active! I'm so glad he's happy again. I got my baby back!! I'm one happy mama! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom