Bearded dragon acting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyzmo

My bearded dragon has started acting up this week he'll go into his cave and push all the sand out for a good 10-20 and sit in there for a hour or two and then when he comes out he'll push it back in half of the time :? and then later in the day when it's time to feed he wont eat I've tried crickets and meal worms he was eating perfectly fine a week ago and is acting up all the sudden

also just a quick question whenever I try feeding him straw berries or any vegetable / fruit except kale he'll start throwing his head around like he found it sour or something what could the problem be ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there , can you post pics of your dragon + the set up ? Is your dragon an adult ? All the behavior points to it being a female looking to lay eggs, that's why I ask. If it's an adult, post a few pics as well of the rear end with the tail pulled up in the air [ Think of a dog that is very excited, tail almost arching over it's back ]

other than that the dragon may just be restless + digging gives it something o do....but if it's grown then it may be a female like I mentioned. Here's how to post pics :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload pics

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
My first instinct is to tell you to remove the sand ASAP. Anything loose that they can swallow is generally not good substrate, and it could cause some digestion issues/impaction; however we cannot know for sure without pictures. I do hesitate in advising you to remove the sand just in case it is a female trying to lay eggs. Meal worms can also cause similar issues... I would probably say stick to crickets and maybe try some dubia roaches.
It also depends on age as to whether or not it's important for your dragon to be eating fruits and greens. It's more important for babies and juveniles to be eating protein, but if your dragon is an adult the fact that it's not eating greens could be an issue. I would just try a different vegetable because your dragon may just not like what you're trying to feed it. My bearded dragons will not touch fruit, but they love kale and any sort of leafy green (they are currently eating mustard and turnip greens).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
nyzmo":3otjj7jz said:
My bearded dragon has started acting up this week he'll go into his cave and push all the sand out for a good 10-20 and sit in there for a hour or two and then when he comes out he'll push it back in half of the time :? and then later in the day when it's time to feed he wont eat I've tried crickets and meal worms he was eating perfectly fine a week ago and is acting up all the sudden

also just a quick question whenever I try feeding him straw berries or any vegetable / fruit except kale he'll start throwing his head around like he found it sour or something what could the problem be ?
Need much more information and details on your beardie's setup and your husbandry otherwise we can't even hazard a guess.

Also need to know how old he is and his body weight. Photos.

Show us his viv and his lights - photos.

And just to be sure of things , are you north or south of the equator ?

Here's my Cheat Sheet :

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

if you work through it methodically , the chances are the likely issues that need to be tweeked or changed will pop right out at you, if you can give very detailed answers we will then be in a position to offer help.
Is impossible to help you if you don't provide thorough details .

It may prove necessary to involve a reptile vet if your bearded dragon has serious health issues. Are you in a position to afford to take him to a good reptile vet should this prove necessary ?

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your issue, but colored lights typically aren't very good to use. I do know that red light is hard for them to see, so otherwise the viv is not very well-lit. They do need it to be fairly bright. Do you have any information on temps, gender, diet, etc?

nyzmo

Original Poster
PrettyinPurple":1nqgddyl said:
I'm not sure if this has anything to do with your issue, but colored lights typically aren't very good to use. I do know that red light is hard for them to see, so otherwise the viv is not very well-lit. They do need it to be fairly bright. Do you have any information on temps, gender, diet, etc?
only using this lamp right now till I can get a new one last one just blew out
Temp is around 100-110
Gender not 100% sure but I think male
Diet usually I try to feed him crickets but sometimes he wont eat them so I'll try to feed him meal worms he'll eat them sometimes
Age was probably a month or 2 old and i've had him for 7 months so 8 or 9 months

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you get a full body shot of the dragon ? I was trying to see f it looks old enough to lay eggs.
And I agree, the red lights are irritating to beardies, think of being in a room with red lights on al day. Only night clubs use dark + colored lights, it's not a natural lighting at all. Not picking on you, that will help your beardie out at least in the lighting dept. :)

You can buy a halogen flood bulb or a par 38 at any walmart or home depot....it's a nice bright white light. And what uvb are you using ?

nyzmo

Original Poster
AHBD":2yx2t88y said:
Can you get a full body shot of the dragon ? I was trying to see f it looks old enough to lay eggs.
And I agree, the red lights are irritating to beardies, think of being in a room with red lights on al day. Only night clubs use dark + colored lights, it's not a natural lighting at all. Not picking on you, that will help your beardie out at least in the lighting dept. :)

You can buy a halogen flood bulb or a par 38 at any walmart or home depot....it's a nice bright white light. And what uvb are you using ?
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/55207/full
https://www.beardeddragon.org/media/55208/full

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
His coloring is beautiful! Personally, I wouldn't worry about him not eating the fruits and veggies since he still looks very young. Keep offering them so he gets used to them, but it's not that big of a deal. The red light isn't a HUGE issue as long as you're replacing it soon like you said. Heat lights can blow at the most inconvenient times, so at least he has heat for now.
I think the biggest red flag for me if he isn't eating is the sand. I would still suggest removing it ASAP because he could be eating it which would cause impaction.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
The dragon is too small to be carrying eggs, so that rules that out. Some dragons will dig to burn off energy or to escape something in the tank that they are not happy about.

nyzmo

Original Poster
AHBD":10v4wz1v said:
The dragon is too small to be carrying eggs, so that rules that out. Some dragons will dig to burn off energy or to escape something in the tank that they are not happy about.
Good to know thanks! also quick question do you think reptile carpet would be any good instead of sand ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Reptile carpet is hard to clean....try non adhesive shelf liner fro Walmart/Home Depot or similar store.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom