My new baby won't eat!! Help please!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glaedr7

I bought my baby dragon July 13th (a few days ago). He is a little less than 7in. He/she isn't eating 'normally'. The day I got him, he ate 5 crickets. Next day nothing. Next day, 4 millworms, next day nothing. Today still won't touch the crickets! -but ate 4 mill worms. After he was NOT responding /eating the crickets I added the mill worms. That's when he ate some. He is drinking water. I have about a 40gl tank with a 26 watt basking light and a 100 watt UVB light (coiled fluorescent) on top of the wire screen. His basking perch is less than 8in from the lights. He is always up there, never hides. I've handled him and I've left him alone all day, either way so far he's not eating right. I don't know what to do. Can some one please advise me?

How big is your beardie? Depending on the size that might be a normal amount of live food. It also might be because it's new so it needs time to get used to the new environment. also, has it gone to the bathroom? If not it might be impacted and you should call an exotic animal vet. Good luck! :)

Permutation

Hatchling Member
I would not worry to much at this point. He is undergoing relocation stress and has eaten. Give him some time and keep trying. Often when they move to a new home they get stressed out, you may see dark lines on his belly, these are due to stress as best as we can tell. So like I say give him time to adjust to his new home and keep us updated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree with the others but you also have to be careful , beardies get hooked on mealworms and then some will not eat the more nutritious food items. Cut out the mealies + just offer crickets....be sure the crix are no longer than the space between his eyes. That is very important for a baby dragon. As they get bigger of course the insects can be much bigger as well.

destiny1998

Extreme Poster
Photo Comp Winner
Hi. So your basking light is only a 26 watt and the uvb is 100 watt? Either way coil bulbs are bad. You want a t5 reptisun 10.0 Tube. If your basking light is only a 26 watt its probably too cold. How do you take the temps and what are they?

Permutation

Hatchling Member
I was a little confused by the numbers , 100 watts is way to high to be a coil as far as I've seen but also to high to be a tube... Mvb?

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
I agree with other users that the lights just sound wrong.. you should probably look into changing the UVB. I would also say that you've only had the dragon for a couple days, so it could just be adjusting to the new environment. I wouldn't worry too much!
I would also stop feeding your dragon meal worms ASAP. They can cause impaction and really aren't the best source of nutrition. Dragons at that age tend to do well with crickets, and you could also try dubia roaches which are very nutritious!

Glaedr7

Original Poster
Thank you for the replies! Ok, good to know. I will try to relax, and will definitely update. Yes, it's a flourescent UVB bulb that came in the kit.

Glaedr7

Original Poster
I'm sorry, my basking bulb is 100. I have an Infrared (which I guess I don't need) that's 150. The lid is attached and it's plastic with wire in it's center also... smh. I don't think that's right either. I bought this reptile terrarium with all these things inside (set up kit), but I couldn't see the top/lid because it was packaged with card board there. Any one else have semi plastic tops, or have you? What were/are those results, please?

Glaedr7

Original Poster
YEY...it's 7:20 am, lights have been on one hour for my baby dragon. Some how there was a cricket in there from yesterday. Within in 10 mins after I turned the lights on, he ate the cricket! I added 2 more with calcium dusting, he ate another just now! I'm so relieved! If I seem crazy, it's because I lost a baby cockatiel this past winter, sorry.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
It's totally normal to be super nervous especially when you're new at it! I've had similar lids to my vivs with no issues aside from keeping heat in during the winter time. I have since upgraded them to larger custom vivs with ventilation and openings on the front, but as long as your tank is an appropriate size it should be fine!
I'm glad your baby is finally eating. It sounds like he/she just needed to settle in! :D

Glaedr7

Original Poster
Thank you prettyinpurple for your words of encouragement! I will monitor this set up for sure! I'm about to leave to get a mercury bulb and another thermometer.
I will update this post!
Thanks again everyone!

Glaedr7

Original Poster
Hello everyone one! UPDATE: She's doing much better!
I wanted to thank you all again who took the time to give me advice and encouragement, and to update. She seems more relaxed these last couple days, as I've tried not to disturb her. THIS MORNING SHE ATE 6 CRICKETS! It's the most she's eaten since I got her. I'm so pleased. A weight has been lifted. I have high hopes:) I just love her! ! !
Thanks again everyone, and take care.

Kelly 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom