my beardie is weird

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I've got a beardie for 11 months now and he doesn't want to flat. He never has, like even when he was little he would bask but not flattening. He's been to the vet because of an infection but the vet didn't know exactly why he doesn't flat. He just said he's a bit weird because he doen't flatten and has weird eye shape but he is alright. He is quite active, eats greens and worms, locusts. Has moments when he will hunt his food and moments when he doesn't even touch the food. Some days he will run all around his vivarium and other days he just likes to sit under his tree trunk. I think he is skinny but the vet didn't say anything about that. Any ideas to why he doesn't flatten?
88359-4431578843.jpg
88359-7195341731.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
His head looks a bit more rounded like a baby dragon rather than adult too. I'm not sure if there is anything to that, just an observation. Have you been monitoring his weight? I'd keep track of his weight to make sure it is stable. He does look a bit skinny but if his weight is stable that's probably OK. If he is active and eating regularly that's also a good sign. I don't have an answer as to why he doesn't flatten out when he basks though.

lexieblack

Original Poster
I don't monitor his weight but I'll start doing that. I'm wondering now if maybe he is a cross between a Rankin and a normal bearded dragon because it would make sense why he is like that....

lexieblack

Original Poster
88359-8057404775.jpg
I have a thermostat I keep it up to a 32 degrees. We leave sometimes the vivarium open cause he loves a run around the room so it goes to a 29.5. But he never flattens, he never did not even when he is out his vivarium. He sometimes looks like he does it but it still doenst look like what I've seen on other bearded.

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
It honestly sounds like you're not keeping the viv warm enough. Normal temperatures are supposed to be 25-35 (which you've got at 32 degrees Celsius), but basking is supposed to be at 38-42. My beardies are most comfortable when their tank is an overall 90 degrees Fahrenheit (I'm not sure how that translates to celsius).
Also, I wanted to comment on his head. The first picture it looks like his bottom lip is sagging and that's very concerning to me. I've never seen a bearded dragon do that before....

lexieblack

Original Poster
If it's more then that he goes to the cool side so I guessed it was because it's too hot. The mouth like that is been having since he was a baby... it's kinda always been like that. He's tail was broke when I got him but I took him to the vet and the vet said he is alright but just weird looking....

PrettyinPurple

Hatchling Member
If your bearded dragon has been acting like that when you turn the heat up, then you've probably made the right decision! When Mouse's viv was too warm, she wouldn't go near the heat source and would act plain uncomfortable. Honestly if your vet thinks he's okay, then I don't think you have too much to worry about. Every bearded dragon is different and yours may just not feel like flattening out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom