burmation in summer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Khezmell

hey so my beardie went to her cave sometime in early march and still doesnt want to come out. I started giving her food again in may but she still always goes back in her cave. I always put her under the heat lamp after taking her out but she will always return to the cave. She poops only when i give her a bath and even then she struggles. She otherwise looks healthy and hasnt lost any weight since she stsrted burmating.

Any help or advise would be appreciated

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Need much more information and details on your beardie's setup and your husbandry otherwise we can't even hazard a guess.

If it's summer where you are , he WONT BE BRUMATING.

Here's my Cheat Sheet :

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=234738&p=1806050#p1806050

if you work through it methodically , the chances are the likely issues that need to be tweeked or changed will pop right out at you, if you can give very detailed answers we will then be in a position to offer help.
Is impossible to help you if you don't provide thorough details .

It may prove necessary to involve a reptile vet if your bearded dragon has serious health issues.
Are you in a position to afford to take him to a good reptile vet should this prove necessary ?
Has a vet seen him ?

Khezmell

Original Poster
I am able to afford a vet yes, and she hasnt been seen by one yet.

Onto you cheat sheet:
Yes, we have a canary, which she can see from her viv, but it never seemed to bother her before.

For the last month shes been getting daily supply of crickets, doesnt eat her veggies. Hes viv is 120x60x90 cm.

I use sand subtrate with logs and rock for decor. She weights 150grams from february, once per week i check her weight.

Im using a reptisun 10T and a 80 W exoterra basking bulb about 30 cm from her spot. Both bulb are less than 2 months old
Also the t10 is about 80 cm from the ground, im guessing by the calculations, its to far away.

Other things from you sheet are ok

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Khezmell":xrr68z77 said:

Onto you cheat sheet:
Yes, we have a canary, which she can see from her viv, but it never seemed to bother her before.
<<< a wee little canary wont stress a beardie, she is more than likely intrigued by the little bird.

For the last month shes been getting daily supply of crickets, doesnt eat her veggies. Hes viv is 120 L x 60 W x 90 T cm. from OPs replies.

I use sand subtrate with logs and rock for decor. She weights 150grams from february, once per week i check her weight. <<< get rid of the sand . No particulate substrates please

How often is she eating ?
Pooing ?
Do you feel any hard lumps in her tummy ?

Is the sand vita-sand aka calci-sand ?
If she's been on this stuff , or really any sand , I think a visit to a vet to get some xrays taken to determine if she's got blockages and how to deal with them might be in order , you say this change in behavior has been long term , so this could be serious.

I am hoping I am wrong .

Alternatively the lethargy is due to or a the very least contributed to by very low levels of UVA ( & UVB ) at the basking spot as it seems from what you say the UVB light's either
> too low a wattage & too far away & or too low a %UVB rating to provide adequate UVA & UVB (about 190 microW/sqcm @ the basking spot).

Im using a reptisun 10T and a 80 W exoterra basking bulb about 30 cm from her spot. Both bulb are less than 2 months old
Also the t10
<<< this it https://zoomed.com/t8-reptisun-10-0-uvb/ ? that's a T8 tube so needs to be closer than you have yours even if it's mounted under the lid in a reflector hood.
is about 80 cm from the ground, im guessing by the calculations, its to far away. YES = MUCH TOO FAR for that (and another 10% - 12% T8 or even 10% - 12% T5 tubes even with a great reflector behind it. .
<<< yes , the UV light needs to be MUCH CLOSER to her basking spot .
She is getting next to zero UVA and UVB , and this is most likely her current problems .
See my cheatsheet.
I think you need to upgrade to an T5ho Arcadia 14%UVB tube in a reflector hood MOUNTED UNDER THE LID , likely suspended a fair way under the lid so your achieve 190 microW UVB / sqcm @ her basking spot .

One of these.

FD3D24T5 (550mm):
•Code: FD3D24T5
•Wattage: 24w
•Length: 22″/550mm
•Tube Type: T5-16mm

FD3D39T5 (850mm):
•Code: FD3D39T5
•Wattage: 39w
•Length: 34″/850mm

FD3D54T5 (1150mm):
•Code: FD3D54T5
•Wattage: 46w
•Length: 46″/1150mm

As well as upgrading her UV lighting so she is getting both sufficient UVA and UVB and hence adequate vitD3 , and removing the sand , I think it will be very wize to have a good reptile vet examine her and do blood work on her and maybe assess for MBD.

Khezmell

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":26tiu19e said:
Khezmell":26tiu19e said:

Onto you cheat sheet:
<<< a wee little canary wont stress a beardie, she is more than likely intrigued by the little bird.

For the last month shes been getting daily supply of crickets, doesnt eat her veggies. Hes viv is 120 L x 60 W x 90 T cm. from OPs replies.

I use sand subtrate with logs and rock for decor. She weights 150grams from february, once per week i check her weight. <<< get rid of the sand . No particulate substrates please

Pooing ?

If she's been on this stuff , or really any sand , I think a visit to a vet to get some xrays taken to determine if she's got blockages and how to deal with them might be in order , you say this change in behavior has been long term , so this could be serious.

I am hoping I am wrong .

Alternatively the lethargy is due to or a the very least contributed to by very low levels of UVA ( & UVB ) at the basking spot as it seems from what you say the UVB light's either
> too low a wattage & too far away & or too low a %UVB rating to provide adequate UVA & UVB (about 190 microW/sqcm @ the basking spot).

Also the t10
<<< this it https://zoomed.com/t8-reptisun-10-0-uvb/ ? that's a T8 tube so needs to be closer than you have yours even if it's mounted under the lid in a reflector hood.
is about 80 cm from the ground, im guessing by the calculations, its to far away. YES = MUCH TOO FAR for that (and another 10% - 12% T8 or even 10% - 12% T5 tubes even with a great reflector behind it. .
She is getting next to zero UVA and UVB , and this is most likely her current problems .
See my cheatsheet.
I think you need to upgrade to an T5ho Arcadia 14%UVB tube in a reflector hood MOUNTED UNDER THE LID , likely suspended a fair way under the lid so your achieve 190 microW UVB / sqcm @ her basking spot .

One of these.

FD3D24T5 (550mm):

FD3D39T5 (850mm):

FD3D54T5 (1150mm):

As well as upgrading her UV lighting so she is getting both sufficient UVA and UVB and hence adequate vitD3 , and removing the sand , I think it will be very wize to have a good reptile vet examine her and do blood work on her and maybe assess for MBD.

She is eating once per day, but will only poop after having a bath, and even then she would have a hard time. Im not feeling any lumps in her tummy.

So what i feared most is probably true, her terarium is to tall.
I will be taking he to a vet as well yes.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Khezmell":1rbxnjyq said:
kingofnobbys":1rbxnjyq said:
Khezmell":1rbxnjyq said:

Onto you cheat sheet:

Pooing ?

I am hoping I am wrong .

Also the t10
See my cheatsheet.

One of these.

FD3D24T5 (550mm):

FD3D39T5 (850mm):

FD3D54T5 (1150mm):

She is eating once per day, but will only poop after having a bath, and even then she would have a hard time. Im not feeling any lumps in her tummy.

So what i feared most is probably true, her terarium is to tall. <<< easy fixed
option 1 : build a simple box to mount the uvb tube and hood under , which is like a "false ceiling" often found in really old houses where the orig ceiling was 12ft high, to lower it to 8ft high)
option 2 : metal hangers made from steel wire coat hangers to hang the uvb's hood a ways under the lid
option 3 : climbing branch
I will be taking he to a vet as well yes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom