Beardie "Smaug" extra lethargic/lazy?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

Might not even be a concern but I love my beardie and doesn't hurt to ask. My Smaug is a 2 year old birdie, very loved, and healthy (up until now?).
As of 2 days ago my beardie has been extra lethargic. Doesnt really go to his basking spot anymore, now always just laying flat usually and sits in a spot with shade, and just lays flat and either sleeps alot during the day, or he's just staring at me and my computer. His behavior was not exactly like this. He was always more alert, moved around in this viv, and just overall more active. But this last 2 days he has just been lounging a lot more and not really moving all day, maybe once or twice.

I always turn on his lamp when I wake up, for at least an hour or so, so he warms up, and I put fresh greens in there, which he eats from time to time. And after a few hours I like to give him his worms, coated in calcium and/or vitamins, he would eat around 4-8 superworms and nap for a bit, but after he used to always be alert and active and I would play with him a little bit.
I have the viv right now at 90-95 F, I bathe him once every 2-3 days, and overall a happy, healthy beardie. But doesnt seem like it the last 2 days? Its the middle of summer so I doubt its brumation? I kinda figure he just needs rest so Iv let him chill in his viv these last 2 days, feed him, and taking care of him but leaving him alone to rest since he seems he wants to rest.

Actually I remember taking him out for a bit yesterday, and he still ran for a tiny bit around my room, chilled on my shoulder just fine for a bit, and I returned him to his viv. He also has a little "cave" in his viv that he used to use a lot but now he kinda doesnt. Right now I purposely dropped a worm at the other side of his viv and he still took it, so he is not refusing to eat.

Maybe its just a paranoid/loving owner and Smaug is just fine? I hope so

Smaug is 14.5 inches (approx) in a 2 and a half foot viv.

EDIT: light info: a "Zoo Med" 100w bulb (used to have 2 of them but Smaug found it too hot and he hid under shade frequently) says on the box it gives him heat, daylight, basking, and UVA. Iv never had a problem with Smaug and heat/light (but maybe now i do?). This one heat lamp can make his basking spot around 100-105F which he loves (loved?), used to bask every day up until the last two. I have his right side of the viv with the basking spot and a shady spot (which is the one he is always in now for the last few days), and the other side a bit cooler with the "cave", the water, and his greens.

EDIT #2: Watched him again and he is actually still alerted, when I pass buy he still always stares at me and turns his head, etc. But I have been noticing recently that sometimes he has one eye closed and one open, like when I pass by and he is "napping" he will open one eye but leave the other one closed. Same at night, before putting him in his viv at night, I sometimes like to put him in a beardie burrito, shut off the lights, and watch a movie and he falls asleep, but sometimes he would wake up for a few seconds with one eye open and one closed. After a bit today I put him under his "cave" to see if he would be more comfortable there, and he actually moved up to his basking spot, which is a good sign. But he is going to go down any minute now like the last 2 days, maybe he just has a day or two once in a while where he doesnt want to bask?

ANY advice would be very much appreciate it. Bad lighting? Small viv?(could be but he has not glass surfed in a long time). Let me know so I can change asap. Food, water, bathing, anything please let me know. I am a very loving beardie owner who LOVES his lil Smaug.

P.S: Sorry for the looong post. And english is not my native language so sorry for spelling errors, etc.
starshooter123

Mysty

Juvie Member
Is his poo normal?

Avoiding basking and generally laying down more sounds like when my Steve had pinworms.

But it could be anything. I would not be too worried as he's alert and eating. If this carries on/gets worse perhaps consult a vet.

starshooter123

Original Poster
Mysty":2fk6ffdm said:
Is his poo normal?

Avoiding basking and generally laying down more sounds like when my Steve had pinworms.

But it could be anything. I would not be too worried as he's alert and eating. If this carries on/gets worse perhaps consult a vet.

Yeah im pretty sure its normal.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
starshooter123":jendkh74 said:
Hello,

Might not even be a concern but I love my beardie and doesn't hurt to ask. My Smaug is a 2 year old birdie, very loved, and healthy (up until now?).
As of 2 days ago my beardie has been extra lethargic. Doesnt really go to his basking spot anymore, now always just laying flat usually and sits in a spot with shade, and just lays flat and either sleeps alot during the day, or he's just staring at me and my computer. His behavior was not exactly like this. He was always more alert, moved around in this viv, and just overall more active. But this last 2 days he has just been lounging a lot more and not really moving all day, maybe once or twice.

I always turn on his lamp when I wake up, for at least an hour or so, so he warms up, and I put fresh greens in there, which he eats from time to time. And after a few hours I like to give him his worms, coated in calcium and/or vitamins, he would eat around 4-8 superworms and nap for a bit,
<<< superworms are a very poor staple feeder insect , too high in fat and very hard to digest exoskeletons (are known to cause impaction if used too much)

but after he used to always be alert and active and I would play with him a little bit.
I have the viv right now at 90-95 F
<<< is that basking spot temperature or warm zone or entire viv ?
<<< exactly how are you measuring this temperature (show us pictures of the thermometer) ?

, I bathe him once every 2-3 days, and overall a happy, healthy beardie. But doesnt seem like it the last 2 days? Its the middle of summer so I doubt its brumation?
<<< definitely not brumation, something else (more serious is likely going on here wrt to his health) .
Are you in a position to take Smaug to a reptile vet if it is necessary ?
If not , why ?

I kinda figure he just needs rest so Iv let him chill in his viv these last 2 days, feed him, and taking care of him but leaving him alone to rest since he seems he wants to rest.

Actually I remember taking him out for a bit yesterday, and he still ran for a tiny bit around my room, chilled on my shoulder just fine for a bit, and I returned him to his viv. He also has a little "cave" in his viv that he used to use a lot but now he kinda doesnt. Right now I purposely dropped a worm at the other side of his viv and he still took it, so he is not refusing to eat.

Maybe its just a paranoid/loving owner and Smaug is just fine? I hope so

Smaug is 14.5 inches (approx) in a 2 and a half foot viv.
<<< a 2.5 ft long viv is WAY TOO SMALL to an adult bearded dragon , I strongly encourage you to consider either buying, commissioning a cabinet maker to build , or buying a new or secondhand 4ft L x 2ft W x 2ft T viv ASAP as Smaug's forever home (he'll be lots happier with so much more space and a proper UV and thermal gradient.

EDIT: light info: a "Zoo Med" 100w bulb (used to have 2 of them but Smaug found it too hot and he hid under shade frequently) says on the box it gives him heat, daylight, basking, and UVA. Iv never had a problem with Smaug and heat/light (but maybe now i do?). This one heat lamp can make his basking spot around 100-105F which he loves (loved?), used to bask every day up until the last two. I have his right side of the viv with the basking spot and a shady spot (which is the one he is always in now for the last few days), and the other side a bit cooler with the "cave", the water, and his greens. <<< see my comments in your other thread regarding the Neodymium basking globe , lack of UVB and insufficient UVA , and resulting health issues. see viewtopic.php?f=5&t=234983&p=1807739#p1807739

EDIT #2: Watched him again and he is actually still alerted, when I pass buy he still always stares at me and turns his head, etc. But I have been noticing recently that sometimes he has one eye closed and one open, like when I pass by and he is "napping" he will open one eye but leave the other one closed. Same at night, before putting him in his viv at night, I sometimes like to put him in a beardie burrito, shut off the lights, and watch a movie and he falls asleep, but sometimes he would wake up for a few seconds with one eye open and one closed. After a bit today I put him under his "cave" to see if he would be more comfortable there, and he actually moved up to his basking spot, which is a good sign. But he is going to go down any minute now like the last 2 days, maybe he just has a day or two once in a while where he doesnt want to bask?

ANY advice would be very much appreciate it. Bad lighting? Small viv?(could be but he has not glass surfed in a long time). Let me know so I can change asap. Food, water, bathing, anything please let me know. I am a very loving beardie owner who LOVES his lil Smaug.

P.S: Sorry for the looong post. And english is not my native language so sorry for spelling errors, etc.
starshooter123

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom