Help! Azalea leaf ingested!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dananae07

We went outside to get some natural sunlight and my bearded dragon ran over to the flowers and before I could grab him, he had eaten 1 azalea plant leaf. I read that these are toxic - what symptoms should I watch for? How soon will symptoms appear?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
If you suspect your pet may have ingested an azalea leaf or flower , call the APCC at (888) 426-4435 or contact your local veterinarian AS A MATTER OF URGENCY.

Please do not wait for symptons to become apparent as it will likely be too late by then.

Had to look it up : causes vomiting , diarrhea, weakness, cardiac failure.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A vet could administer activated charcoal or if you can get some quickly from a drug store you can do the same. Charcoal absorbs the toxins and lets it pass out of the body safely. In most cases a very small amount of this and most other plants is not too harmful but it would be good to seek some treatment. Gaping, drooling + vomiting may occur but I doubt that 1 leaf was enough. Still, better safe than sorry.

dananae07

Original Poster
After further googling, it was not an azalea. The plants Is either an impatien or a sunpatien- so relieved!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those are called New Guinea impatiens, they are a different type of impatien from the ones in my picture but are also edible. I have both kinds in my yard.

dananae07

Original Poster
I'm just so glad they weren't azaleas like I thought, we had originally looked at them and in my mind it was what we bought! I literally was crying on the couch wondering what on earth I was gonna do!!

So glad they're edible, he seemed to enjoy the leaf he got before he got pulled away. I open the door to go outside and he runs outside like he's a puppy! (Of course he never gets but two steps from me, I'm so afraid a bird will try and get him lol)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh, you posted another pic after the new guineas....those ones he ate look like they might be a type of vinca's but I'm not sure. If they are, they are questionable so don't let him eat anymore of those. Is there a sticker in the pot to identify, and can you get another close up of the flower and the leaf ?

dananae07

Original Poster
They could be different.... more I look at vincas more they do look like them. But vincas and impatiens are all so similar! I had to leave him to go to work..... praying everything is fine.... he will only be alone for 5 hours or so but still gonna worry me

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Yes, the more I compare them the more it looks like you might have some of each but still not positive. Just be sure to keep her from eating anymore until you find out for sure.

dananae07

Original Poster
He seems to be doing good this morning, he pooped (normal) and was already wanting out so he could roam the house...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom