T8 or T5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
I currently have a reptisun 10.0 t8 (inside mount) in my 4ft x2ft melamine enclosure i built. But it just occurred to me, even with it mounted inside, should i have gone to t5 with the increase in space? (Previously had a 40B) He tends to hang out in areas that range from 8-12 inches from the light. Even if it's "ok," i think I'd like to go to t5. Would this be ok? (Don't know how to tell what is too much uvb) Also, how much length of the enclosure would it need to cover?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iloverex":1kix2xlq said:
I currently have a reptisun 10.0 t8 (inside mount) in my 4ft x2ft melamine enclosure i built. But it just occurred to me, even with it mounted inside, should i have gone to t5 with the increase in space? (Previously had a 40B) He tends to hang out in areas that range from 8-12 inches from the light. Even if it's "ok," i think I'd like to go to t5. Would this be ok? (Don't know how to tell what is too much uvb) Also, how much length of the enclosure would it need to cover?

How tall is the viv ?

will you mounting under the lid or ontop of the (mesh) lid ?

GUIDE :
how far from basking spot ? == there are optimal distances for all UVB lights from the beardie see Arcadia Website for a good guide (a good UVB for beardies at their basking spot is about 180 to 200 microW UVB / sqcm ).

"Effective to a specified distance" DOES NOT mean this is the optimum distance from UV source to the basking spot , effective to distance x means ONLY that UVB will be measureable at distance x.
The optimum UVB distance will be somewhat closer than the distance x.
For example a 26W UVB200 globe :
.......Effective Distance up to 40 inches ==> 4 microW UVB / sqcm
.......At a distance of 24 inches ==> 10 microW UVB / sqcm
.......A good distance for beardies is 6-8 inches ==> 160 - 90 microW / sqcm.

Too far and the UVA and UVB WILL BE TOO DILUTE (as illustrated in the example above).
UVA FLUX TOO LOW where dragon is ==> a very lethargic dragon w/ a very poor apetite just in the short term , and neurological problems if this persists , not to mention MVB if UVB flux too low long enough with inadequate metabolisation of dietary calcium or inadequate intake out calcium

A GOOD GUIDE FOR SETTING UP THE THERMAL AND UV GRADIENT IN A VIV.
guide-bearded-dragon.jpg

t5ho_12_uvb.png

Compare T8 and T5ho tubes
12_uvb_guide.png

is a good idea to mount the UVB globe or one end of the UVB T8 or T5 tube, so it’s adjacent as close as you can arrange it , to the basking bulb.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I would go with a T5. Set it to the basking side and either toward the front or back of the enclosure. That will provide a nice gradient and plenty of options =).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sure. If you can set it securely I'd try to get it between about 6-8'' above the basking site. That's the best location for a T8. A T5 should be at around 12'' above the basking site. These are just rough guidelines though.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Iloverex":tctw3t83 said:
89591-2036952763.jpg
In this pic the bulb is 6 inches from the top of his head

I don't see a reflector behind the tube , a slip on reflector will be great and very cheap investment, will focus the UVA and UVB where you want it rather than allowing most the UV go to waste and it will literally double the UVA and UVB seen by your bearded dragon.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely agree. If you get a fixture to place the light in, your UVB exposure will be much better
& more focused onto your dragon. :D

Tracie

ILoveRJ

Juvie Member
Original Poster
So, still with the t8, i attached the fixture to a small strip of wood, screwed a corner brace to that wood and then to the ceiling, which lowered the complete fixture a couple inches. It's now 10 inches from his big hammock. And it has a reflector. Should this be good? Or lower it more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom