Lack of appetite after treatment for Coccidia

Status
Not open for further replies.

susanmurl

My bearded dragon will be 8 months old on July 17th. Last month we have been noticing smelly and irregular poops(runny - diarrhea) unlike he was having before(soft and firm in shape).

We took a fecal sample to get tested and the vet said he had high counts of coccidia. We were provided with .30 mg of Toltrazuril. 3 days on, 3 days off, 4 days on.

After the treatment, it has been now almost two weeks completely off and he has been eating up to 5 crickets a day...some times none(maybe a bite or two of salad including collard greens, bok choy and green pepper).

He is also drinking and pooping every second day.
I have been reading on here and other forums that they are supposed to take probiotics such as acidophilus+. while on medication and it was failed to be mentioned.

I am in PEI, Canada. I was able to find http://www.probaclac.ca/traveler-formula. No pet stores or pharmacies sell liquids or anything of such for this kind of problem. I am also unable to locate soy yogurt with no sugar added :(

The first one has no dairy products while the second has been in contact with milk and Silica(I had read this shouldnt be given to beardies)

I also recently ordered http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Acidophiliz so i'm trying to see if I can get my baby back. He's just not the same with his eating since taking medication for the parasites.

I'm not giving up. I'll keep you updated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Which medication did you use for the coccidia, he is still on it now, correct?
There is non dairy acidophilis that you can get which works great. It can be in liquid or powder form & should be able to be found at a health food store. You can sprinkle the powder onto his greens or mix a little with some water or juice & syringe it to him.
The health food store should also have an organic, non dairy soy yogurt also you could get. You could get a flavored or a plain one.
Are you keeping him warm overnight, around 80 or so?

Tracie

susanmurl

Original Poster
He has been off the medication for a week or so. He medication that was given to me was Toltrazuril.

I can't seem to find the acidophilus in a liquid form. I have asked the pharmacy and they don't have it. I was also reading that you can't give them acidophilus if it has been in contact with dairy products. I have a bottle of it now but it has been in contact with milk and it has silica.

My grocery stores apparently do not carry soy yogurt. If there is a yogurt there is ingredients that bearded dragons can't eat(sugar, potato power, etc)

Temperatures are always in 70-80 range

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
My youngest is still fighting off some coccidia, just found out it's still there after her recent fecal on the 11th of this month.
I'm unsure of the meds she's on, it looks like pepto and told it's cherry flavored :lol:

She was on this stuff in the past, as was Richter, and Richter's appetite was destroyed on these meds. My little one, Alucard, was not impacted but she was just 60g or so at the time and her dose was barely enough to get into the syringe. She's now 161g and has a much larger dosage.

What I did for Richter, and will be doing for Alucard, is I purchased from Drache's shop :D
Shameless plug?
http://www.bug-de-lite.com/store/index.php?app=ecom&ns=prodshow&ref=Acidophiliz&sid=4y9yp190532h36vf6v11175j77q188g6

Richter's appetite came back within the same day, and days after he was eating perfectly fine. I did not use this until after he was off of the meds, but will be using while on meds with Alucard.

susanmurl

Original Poster
This is great! Thanks for the link! I should order a bottle and see how things go.
He's just not his same old self and it's stressing me out. I want my happy go lucky boy back. :(

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I felt the exact same way. Richter LOVES his supers, and I said the day he refuses one is the day I'll be concerned. He refused supers while on his medication :( it was so upsetting.

That stuff worked very fast for me, same day results. Not 100%, but immediate difference.
It comes with a little dropper, you can try dripping it on the end of his nose to lick up, or inserting it through the side of his mouth and forward toward his mouth opening so he'll swallow it and not get it squirt right down into his lungs. I just dripped it in slowly to allow him to swallow/drink it

I tried soy yogurt first and he hated it, so I'd recommend going with the linked Reptophilus

susanmurl

Original Poster
So I wanted to give everyone an update since I last posted.

I ended up putting the smallest/pinch of power that was in the Probaclac capsule. It made a significant difference overnight. He went from eating 5 crickets a day since June to 12 in one feeding. I've been giving him a little sprinkle every second day! I've also noticed a big change in his attitude and alertness!! So active! I'm so glad he's happy again. I got my baby back!! I'm one happy mama! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom