when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Bwahahaha...have I mentioned I have MS and get brain fog? I totally forgot you are in Australia and for some reason thought you were in the US :shock: Soo sorry!

Yes, Australia, I believe, has one of the most stringent import/export laws around (if not the most). It makes complete sense all things considered (the giant hallucinogenic toads come to mind - can't think of their name off hand :? ). Canada and the US are far more lax, but our eco systems aren't nearly as fragile or unique.

Glad to hear she is growing so well! She's definitely at the top of the growth scales for sure. I couldn't imagine getting into breeding...I've always advocated for rescue animals. I totally admit to purchasing Charlie though. I am glad I did.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NBGwen":1xckumke said:
Bwahahaha...have I mentioned I have MS and get brain fog? I totally forgot you are in Australia and for some reason thought you were in the US :shock: Soo sorry!

Yes, Australia, I believe, has one of the most stringent import/export laws around (if not the most). It makes complete sense all things considered (the giant hallucinogenic toads come to mind - can't think of their name off hand :? ). <<< Cane toads, a worse pest and much more invasive and devastating than the insects they were brought in to control..
http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/invasive-species/publications/factsheet-cane-toad-bufo-marinus

.. they are a scourge in QLD and the NT and I hear have even invaded far north WA ,and the scary for me thing is they have been found as far south as Sydney which means they are definitely in my area (north coast of NSW , I wasn't aware they were in my area til now :( ).

They have glands on their backs that exude a toxin that if lethal to animals who eat them, in some areas, native mini-predators marcupial and predatory reptiles have been either completely wiped out or at best decimated as a result, some to the point of near extinction.

Canada and the US are far more lax, but our eco systems aren't nearly as fragile or unique.

Glad to hear she is growing so well! She's definitely at the top of the growth scales for sure. I couldn't imagine getting into breeding...I've always advocated for rescue animals. I totally admit to purchasing Charlie though. I am glad I did.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
:( oh no...I hope you never run into them, especially with your babies!

I remember one of my professors talking about the Cane Toads in university. Humanities ability to do stupid things never ceases to amaze me. Even in NA we have invasive species that were brought over to 'help'. Actually, technically cats are. I love my cats, but mine are indoors only. Domestic cats murder millions of birds every year (not including rodents/small prey). Asiatic carp is whipping out many fish species, wreaking havoc on the eco-systems. There is a plant species here too that is invasive/imported...I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but it causes a lot of grief.

I can't let Charlie out alone as I live in the countryside - bald eagles, hawks, raccoons, foxes, etc are very common around my area. When my youngest son was about a year old, we had two bald eagles circling above us in ever lower circles...it took us a few minutes to realise they were circling our toddler and not our little dog!!! So, yes, Charlie never goes out unaccompanied (neither does my youngest as he's still a very tiny boy :) ).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NBGwen":363jmt8p said:
:( oh no...I hope you never run into them, especially with your babies!

I remember one of my professors talking about the Cane Toads in university. Humanities ability to do stupid things never ceases to amaze me. Even in NA we have invasive species that were brought over to 'help'. Actually, technically cats are. I love my cats, but mine are indoors only. Domestic cats murder millions of birds every year (not including rodents/small prey). Asiatic carp is whipping out many fish species, wreaking havoc on the eco-systems. There is a plant species here too that is invasive/imported...I can't for the life of me remember what it's called, but it causes a lot of grief.

I can't let Charlie out alone as I live in the countryside - bald eagles, hawks, raccoons, foxes, etc are very common around my area. When my youngest son was about a year old, we had two bald eagles circling above us in ever lower circles...it took us a few minutes to realise they were circling our toddler and not our little dog!!! So, yes, Charlie never goes out unaccompanied (neither does my youngest as he's still a very tiny boy :) ).

Yep, the dangers here are free roaming cats , the dogs nextdoor (2 of 5 my immediate neighbours have dogs, the "nice" (in the loosest possible terms) folks next door have 3 in their front year and 4 in their backyard (watchdogs , never a kind word ever said to their dogs)), then there are kookaburras, wedgetail eagles, sea eagles, magpies, ravens, frogmouths.

So my gang don't get to go outside to enjoy the sun or the lawn or the garden - too dangerous , only time is when I am nursing them all the time.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
:(

That's awful! I actually feel bad for your neighbours dogs, that's not much of a life :( We're fortunate in that our neighbours are awesome...and on one side they are actually my parents LOL! They have one very elderly dog who once in a while 'visits' us (it's hard to tell where our yard ends and theirs begins). The neighbours across from us each have 1 dog (two different homes) and are always out with them. So, domestic animal wise, we're in a good spot. I've the most pets in my 'area' :D It's my indoor cats and the wild critters I need to watch out for. I usually take Charlie out on our deck on a nice day - I want to try him on our lawn sometime soon, but I have a leash to ensure he's always close by. I wish I could build an outdoor enclosure for him for on the nice days but I'd be worried something would get in it (the raccoons are way too smart...).

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
It's funny that Peppa and Toothless are brother and sister and so different from each other.

We have pretty nice neighbors around here too. We're on the corner so only one set of really close neighbors on our side of the intersection, and they used to have dogs several years ago but they're all gone now (old age, mostly). We have lots of ravens and magpies around here too, and when the neighbors had the dogs a flock of ravens used to come around about the same time almost every morning to tease the dogs and eat their food, and it was kind of fun to watch. One of the dogs would try to ignore them without success, and the other dog would try to chase them away, also without success. We sometimes get moose and bears too, and sometimes their interactions with people do not end well either for the people or the animals -- people do sometimes do some pretty stupid things. :roll:

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NBGwen":3c271j4z said:
:(

That's awful! I actually feel bad for your neighbours dogs, that's not much of a life :( We're fortunate in that our neighbours are awesome...and on one side they are actually my parents LOL! They have one very elderly dog who once in a while 'visits' us (it's hard to tell where our yard ends and theirs begins). The neighbours across from us each have 1 dog (two different homes) and are always out with them. So, domestic animal wise, we're in a good spot. I've the most pets in my 'area' :D It's my indoor cats and the wild critters I need to watch out for. I usually take Charlie out on our deck on a nice day - I want to try him on our lawn sometime soon, but I have a leash to ensure he's always close by. I wish I could build an outdoor enclosure for him for on the nice days but I'd be worried something would get in it (the raccoons are way too smart...).

I considered an outdoor combination pit / aviary when I first got the BTs , then some jerk knicked all my potted berry , citrus and tropical fruit plants (16 inch diameter pots !!) - pots and all one night , the look I got from the cops when they came and I told them all my pot plants had been stolen LOL , year before I had a heap of my stuff stolen ( lost all my boat rods and reels and a bag full of fishing tackle and expensive squid jigs and some power tools that were on my work bench - the locked roller door was unlocked by them apparently , they were trying to steal my big rods from the garage rafters too but dropped one and the sound of the metal back plate on the alvey reel attached to it when it hit the concrete woke me up and they were gone by the time I got the back door open and shined a torch to find my locked roller door open), not so much a bark from all those watch dogs next door (dogs that bark at their own shadows and when people walk down the road - not a sound from them until I went down the back steps to check my shed and the stuff in it , (and all the thefts since those people moved in .... I suspect them but can't prove it)....., even had someone walk with my brand new green waste wheeley bin , so that idea was canned --- too many sticky fingers around here.

Do I trust the neigbours either side of me - no, the dog people have worn out their welcome a long time ago and the guy on the other side is drug addict / alco and not right in the head.

Not moving... we were here long time before they moved in and wont be forced out.

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
Oh jeez...I can't even imagine! Actually, I can (former 911 dispatcher), but I couldn't deal with the stress of all that. I'm extremely lucky (gawd I hope I don't jinx myself) that I've never had anything stolen from my present property...people are scared of my dog. Which is hilarious - he's a rottie/shep cross (rescue found on a street with stab wounds), best dog I've ever had - super friendly and NEVER barks. I'm not joking - I've heard him whine when he sees deer outside or wants to be near someone, but never a bark. Love him. My neighbours are all older save the one diagonally across from me - I went to high school with her and she's awesome.

Sheesh...I am really fortunate with my location.

My only concern with an outdoor enclosure is the wild animals...

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
We do seem to have some sticky fingers around our neighborhood too lately, more than usual, but the neighbors try to look out for each other. A couple of weeks ago, someone actually stole a little bush right out of someone's yard, apparently dug it right up, and the ironic thing was that it was planted right next to a sign warning that the property was protected by some sort of security system -- apparently it didn't work very well. Unbelievable...

Our beardie is halfway up the ramp to his basking platform, apparently trying to decide if he's comfortable enough where he is or if being a little warmer is worth the effort it would take to haul himself all the way to the top. Lazy day...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Puff is 702g today.

Cutting her and Toothless back little more on the crickets , gone down again by another 4 medium or large crickets per day to 8 per day + silkworm + some greens. The BTs are getting cut back too, they love their crickets as well.

More or less forced on me because I have a shortage of crickets for the next week , my latest batch of 700 x 2/3 size crickets arrived with a lot DOA and sick , and I lost even more of them overnight on Thurday (took me down from 7 tubs --> 5 tubes (so about 1/2 - 2/3 dead) and another 40 - 50 died overnight lastnight.
So now down to 4 tubes worth (ordinarily this would be 9 - 10 tubs) , and I use essentially a tub every day or two USUALLY for my 4 pet lizards .
Only ones I consider usuable are the ones who are still frisky and obviously healthy , any that are sick go outside (even if still moving - but slow) are for the wild lizards and birds and the ants likely take what they don't eat.

Wanted to order a new batch but my supplier appears to have had a catastrophy , their adult, 2/3 and 1/3 size crickets are now out of stock , as are their superworms and woodies (never seen that before ... insect pandemic in their facility ??).

My local petshop only gets in crickets every other Wednesday and my wife discovered they were entirely out of stock this morning . I rang about and every pet shop in my region is out of crickets and woodies , all they have are mealworms.
Another supplier (Livefoods Litd based in QLD) ships on Tuesdays, so I wont have a fresh supply of crickets til Thursday (1000x MEDIUM) or maybe a few extra tubs from the petshop.

I have superworms but don't want to use these as my staple feeders.
The new batch of silkworms are still a bit small, need another few days to eat and grow.
Not keen on using pellets to feed the lizards , even good stuff like Woobaroo and I don't have any Repashi GrubPie (no one stocks it here - been meaning to order in some for emergencies but not got around to it).
So have to ration the crickets .

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Very few new dead crickets overnight, so I think I have successfully culled all the sick and dying crickets and the rest are fine to use .... that's a relief.

Peppa holding back on the poos , been a week no silkworms ( they seem to help the bluetongues and beardies go more regular).

9 days no poo from her , olive oil dose yesterday , bath today , she enjoyed it but still no poo.

Here she is in her baby's bath , looked like she was having fun .... note the happy colours :)
50k08i.png

2r27rqg.png

28gxerk.png

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
She's sooo pretty! I suddenly feel so stunned. I still have my youngest son's baby tub - never thought to use it for my beardies! What a great idea!

Sounds like getting insects your way is a big pain! I'm fortunate to have a few places to get them around here, so if one shop is out, the other will probably have some.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NBGwen":lyo0g7ti said:
She's sooo pretty! I suddenly feel so stunned. I still have my youngest son's baby tub - never thought to use it for my beardies! What a great idea!

<<< as my Tech Officer used to say when I did something cleavour but oh so obvious and simple, "that's why I'm a gingerbeer" cockney for engineer.

Sounds like getting insects your way is a big pain! I'm fortunate to have a few places to get them around here, so if one shop is out, the other will probably have some.

I have a strong suspicion that most the lizard keepers in my city buy their crickets from the same place in Melbourne in bulk as I do.
So only noobs and the silly usually buy from the 5 local petshops who carry live feeder insects and the "pandemic" that stuck the crickets and woodies at Frog Arcade (Melbourne) has left everyone in the lurch and those who acted fast (on Thursday) managed to get the available crickets in tubs and cleaned out those petshop's stocks. I waited til Friday and it was already too late.

Usually my crickets arrive in good shape . if I loose 10 crickets in route from 700-800 it's not an issue, I notify them if I loose more than 10% (and usually get a credit for the DOAs). Think I've bought petshop cricket maybe 5 times in the last 12 months when I've had too many DOAs (usually in really hot weather , or if it's really cold enroute).

NBGwen

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Carl
LOL - I saw the gingerbeer and my brain read gingerhead...I soooo need sleep.

I sometimes do mail order, but it's iffy. And the postage in Canada almost makes it not worth it (when I buy $30 of insects, I'd rather not pay $30 postage!). Ah well. The local Petsmart is decent enough, so far I've had no issues with them BUT their hornworms are pricey and I keep asking them to get silks in, but it probably won't happen. I have a smallish house. Raising said insects is just not an option (especially with a really busy 3 year old in the house).

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NBGwen":2vv12w8w said:
LOL - I saw the gingerbeer and my brain read gingerhead...I soooo need sleep.

I sometimes do mail order, but it's iffy. And the postage in Canada almost makes it not worth it (when I buy $30 of insects, I'd rather not pay $30 postage!). Ah well. The local Petsmart is decent enough, so far I've had no issues with them BUT their hornworms are pricey and I keep asking them to get silks in, but it probably won't happen. I have a smallish house. Raising said insects is just not an option (especially with a really busy 3 year old in the house).

Don't need much space to raise silkworms , I have my big, small , and baby silkworms in tubs of various sizes in a 30L tub when my grandson (6yr old) visits, but usually just sitting in the lid of the 30L tub on the coffee table - is handy for me there and I don't really care if the lounge room looks cluttered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom