Got just in time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LLH21

I would like to start off by saying I am glad I found this site and this community! By the posts I have read everyone is supportive and knowledgeable about this beardies. I rescued a beardie about 6 months ago. when I got him the guy who had him said they just did not have the time to take care of him and needed to rehome. I jumped for joy as I knew it was my sign. When I went to see him. I picked him up and he would barley even open his eyes, and the guy said he slept a lot, but I did not see any sign of food and his lights were being shared with a snake they had. The guy said he could not remember the last time they fed him. I stopped on the way home and got him crickets and some small meal worms along with powders. when I got home he would try to chase the crickets but could not keep up or really chew them, so they would jump out of his mouth. he would not eat the greens either, so I did some research as I could not get into the vet for a while. I ended up using repti boost, baby food consistency squash calci powder mixed with watcher and syringe fed him for about 6 weeks 4 times a day and then tapered off after that as he started to eat on his own. when he was held he had to be on a heating pad as he was always freezing cold. he did start to perk up as time went on and did slowly start getting energy but still not enough, and I knew he was malnourished. We got in to the vet 5 weeks after I got him and for him being 10 months he weighed 10 grams and the vet said he should weigh closer to 100,and he should be about 5 times his size. He also had a broken leg, and bones as squishy as sponges, and by his condition the vet said without the syringe feeding he would have passed away in two weeks. We were lucky we got him when we did. At his vet visit he was prescribed an oral Vitamin D supplement that he got twice a day for 2 weeks and then once a week for the following two, and a follow up visit after that point. when he went in for his follow up he had gained quite a bit weight and weighed in at 39 grams and was told his bones were no longer sponge consistency and he could go back again in 6 months. Since that visit he has tripled in size and loves his vegies, meal worms, and crickets. He is really happy! loves car rides, being outside, hanging out with people, and running around to get exercise!

Permutation

Hatchling Member
That's awesome, you did a really good deed, I'm super happy to hear he's doing better :D we need more people like you rescuing these guys.

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
Wow, great job! KUDOS to you for rescuing this poor neglected dragon. I am sure he is much happier now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom