when is too young to separate siblings M & F ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":1c38ds6b said:
Looks like you have some happy healthy beardies who like their snuggles and their worms. :D

You guys lost me with the cooking shows, but is anyone following the 10th season of Dr Who? :mrgreen:

My nephew just graduated from high school, and plans to go into the culinary arts program at the local university this fall. He wants to be a chef. My husband half jokingly suggested that we should hire him to do our cooking for us. :oops:

Yep ... been a Who fan since the 1960s, I don't think I've ever missed an episode, .... the current Doctor is quite good , just wish he's lose the guitar , more Daleks please..... Missy is good too , but I really miss the evilness of the Master.
The quick connection between Alpha (Centurie) and the Ice Warrior Empress was a surprise .... I wont bore you with the connection between them that goes to the earlier Doctor Whos . Look up Peladon .

Last week or so I've been getting demands from Toothless for very late night snuggles when I check on him and move him from the cold area of his tank to under his log ... he makes it very clear he wants a snuggle , if I try to put him to bed too soon he makes it clear he's not ready yet.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I've missed a lot of them, but that just makes reruns more fun.

"Missy's" parody of "Mary Poppins" creeps me out -- actually makes "The Master" seem even more evil in a subtle sort of way. I don't mind the guitar too much either. I kind of get a kick out of it. Time Lord having a midlife crisis. :lol: Peter Capaldi is one of my all time favorites -- right up there with Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker. I'm sorry that this is supposed to be his last season, but then I wouldn't want him to keep trying to do it if he's really burned out.

Sometimes, if I'm really careful, I can put our beardie back in his terrarium after his bedtime cuddle without waking him all the way back up again. Sometimes -- other times, not so much. But he almost always settles down and goes to sleep within about a half hour once the lights are out.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Wow, 678 grams . That's a biiiiig girl. If you don't mind my asking, what is her length ? Anything under 22" and that is possibly on the way to obesity. Have you slowed the insect feedings to only a couple times a week ? Beardies that love to eat gain weight quickly but once they're overweight it takes a long time for them to lose it [ unless they become very ill ] Just be careful, many dragons are becoming too heavy and this will bring health problems down the line.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
AHBD":2kwk0xiv said:
Wow, 678 grams . That's a biiiiig girl. If you don't mind my asking, what is her length ? Anything under 22" and that is possibly on the way to obesity. Have you slowed the insect feedings to only a couple times a week ? Beardies that love to eat gain weight quickly but once they're overweight it takes a long time for them to lose it [ unless they become very ill ] Just be careful, many dragons are becoming too heavy and this will bring health problems down the line.

Not measured her recently , last measurement was on 29 April and she was 53cm long (21 inches) and 610g at the time , and she's asleep now so that will have to wait.

She's nearer 24 inches than 22 inches judging from her length when on me.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
If she's 24" then she IS a monster. Should have named her Loch Ness. :)

If you get a chance to measure her, post it here. There aren't many 24" dragons around and very few at all that are bigger than that.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
AHBD":hmk42de0 said:
If she's 24" then she IS a monster. Should have named her Loch Ness. :)

She's definitely longer than Rex and Puff were.

We saw her and Toothless's parents and the mother was a BIG beardie (not fat, just large).

Made me curious so looked it up in my books and online , here's a good link http://pogopogona.com/bearded-dragon-facts/how-big-do-bearded-dragons-get , maximum documented lengths in the wild for centrals is 24 inches.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
SHBailey":l9xa9ozs said:
Is it possible that they might have a little "German Giant" in their ancestry somewhere? :wink:

Doubt it , never been German Giants here , they'd never be allowed into the country.

Might not be very far removed from wild ancestors though. I know the parents were captive bred, because I saw the breeders' Keeper's Record Book and saw who she bought mom and dad from. Beyond that not sure.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Peppa is 575mm . +/- a few mm. Best I do with my stiff retractable builder's tape measure. Very close to/ just a tad under 23 inches.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
NBGwen":2baymf58 said:
Are you sure about no German Giants? There's breeders in Canada that sells them...
http://capitaldragons.com/available-hatchlings
http://www.thegentlegiantbreeders.com/

Dachiu Bearded Dragons in Pensylvania have them too - http://www.dachiubeardeddragons.com/dachiu-dragons/german-giants/

I stopped looking...but there are definitely giant lines in the US and Canada, not sure how much but they seem to be there.

Pretty sure no German Giants here in Australia .

Only instance of Giants I've heard off were those bred by Rick Walker (who selected for and bred them for 2 decades starting in the 80s). Apparently some nonsense about them being hybrid from P.vitticeps and Barbarta ( according to some people - but really not , and just the result of selecting for larger size with P.Vitticeps who were large). Til now I had zero interest in German Giants (this remains the case) ,I've never had any dealings with Rick , but I think he's been more into coloured morphs since then (as these are highly sort after, but i can't find his webpage in the Dragon Breeders' Register, so he may have retired). From what I've read he is / was highly regarded in Australian breeding circles for a long time and people still sell beardies as "From Rick Walker Line" ( and they attract high prices - seen some wanting from $200 to near $1000 depending on the morph ) .

I recall a while ago reading a thread by someone who wanted a German Giant here in Australia , can't recall many details , but the uptake of the brief discussion was no one in Australia had German Giants and with the strict import restrictions in place it is impossible to legally import any reptiles at all into Australia ( only exceptions are zoos who obtain specimens if they can obtain the permits ).
These permits are simply impossible for hobbyists , shops or breeders to obtain .

Even importing native species across state borders is prohibited in some states.

She's definitely a central and just seems to have great genes , her brother Toothless is a leatherback and near 150g lighter , despite having virtually identical food intake (to the insect) and identical husbandry - he simply seems to blow all this calorific intake on being very active , whereas Peppa is much more laid back and energy efficient, most days she'd sooner have a lovely daddy snuggle than roam about.

I am pleased Peppa is thriving and growing steadily and have no foreseeable interest in breeding. Even more pleased since she's such a beautiful and sweet natured girl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom