Bearded dragon lethargic, limping, not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Poor thing, she definitely sounds uncomfortable.
As far as asking the vet, the only thing I'd consider is xray if that's not the intent. That will help check for any broken bones, frail bones, bone health, or possibly arthritis

Meeps408

Original Poster
traildrifterphalanx":2p1e64rx said:
Poor thing, she definitely sounds uncomfortable.
As far as asking the vet, the only thing I'd consider is xray if that's not the intent. That will help check for any broken bones, frail bones, bone health, or possibly arthritis

What about blood and testing for uric acid levels? Not sure about about a fecal test.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Meeps408":1a6t0b9s said:
What about blood and testing for uric acid levels?

If you have the means to do so, go for it. I know running all the tests get pricey, but it's always better than doing 1 test at a time or medicating a false diagnosis. Gout usually shows in the form of swelling at the joints, so it's worth looking in to

Meeps408

Original Poster
So just got home from vet.
Vet thinks everything is getting better, he sees some of the swelling I was referring to in her back hind leg, but feels she's healing up rather than getting worse.. He believes she's still healthy weight although her movement being decreased we'll need to watch it..
He also doesn't believe it's gout by her symptoms but will watch closely to be safe.
Vet didn't think we needed to take x-ray today because of all the swelling has gone down and she appears to be ambulatory without any issues. So we held off on the x-ray at this time.
We also think her change in behavior could be the fact that while she was injured, I was hand feeding her a lot more than normal so she might just be conditioned to waiting for me to bring her the food. We are going to try to not hand feed her for a little bit to see if that increases her want to move.
I am hoping that nothing is in fact wrong wrong and it's just her having me trained to provide everything for her.
I was also not charged for today's visit which was nice.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow that is wonderful they didn't charge you for the vet visit!
If the swelling is going down then it most likely is not gout at all, but related to the injury then.
I'm happy to hear she is getting better also, that's great!
I will admit, we have all spoiled our dragons by hand feeding I think! LOL Hopefully soon she will get her food on her own & you can hand feed treats from time to time also.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
That's wonderful news .... all to often the undates here are bad news .... I come to this subforum often with trepidation and ready for bad news on this or that beardie who's keeper I've tried to help.

Not out of the woods by any means - but a very good outcome.

Meeps408

Original Poster
Hi so this is an update on Pebbles,

Currently her appetite has improved to pretty much what it was (still have to tricker her to eat her salads :? ). She no longer sprints across tank but rather waits for them to come to her. (I am going to attribute this to a learned behavior with age)

Mobility has certainly improved when she wants to move. She goes to sleep under her hammock (which is 100% normal for her) but she does not move out from under it even after 7 hours of her light being on. She also remains splayed out, all spread eagle .

I also feel like her right wrist is still swollen in comparison to her left wrist. Although it does not appear to effect her mobility could this be why she doesn't move at all?
92660-7667594375.jpg

Should I remain concerned or just come to terms with this is going to be Pebbles.
What is a normal heal time for an injury?
Also will skipping insects per day possibly get her to eat her salad even if she never leaves the spot she is laying in?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Pebbles looks really good though! I hope she is feeling better.
If her wrist is still a little swollen that will likely keep her from wanting to move around as
much as possible.
I'm happy to hear she is eating a bit better! How many insects weekly do you give her? You could
try mixing them in with the salad/greens to see if that helps. You can try feeding her greens first
before her insects, sometimes that helps out.
Injuries in reptiles do take time to heal. How long has it been now since the initial injury?
You could consider using serrapeptase which is helpful for swelling, inflammation & injuries. It is
an enzyme from silkworms.

Let us know how she is doing.

Tracie

Meeps408

Original Poster
I currently give her a daily salad, and i feed her about 85-100 med-large roaches a week.
I do hide the roaches in and under her greens, however she has learned that if she just waits long enough, the roaches will come out from beneath it. >.<
I am trying a feeding her insects every other day approach to see if she will eat more salad that way. Currently this is not working.
The injury happened 1 month ago on June 2.

Where can i get Serrapeptase?

Meeps

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Pebbles seems to be doing pretty well, but sorry she is still having some trouble with her hand.
Her appetite is great though, waiting for the roaches to come out of hiding in her greens. Now
that is hilarious! :D
I am sending a PM to you, too.

Tracie

Meeps408

Original Poster
Treatment update:

So I will be trying the Serrapeptase treatment to see if that reduces Pebbles discomfort. (Just ordered it so have not had a chance to start it just yet)

Swelling seems worse in the morning when she just wakes up but "calms" down by around mid day. Seems to be localized to one arm, although she still walks on it. She was very crabby yesterday and kept jumping off her log to get away from me. She seems to be avoiding basking currently, and remaining in her warm side hide all day, even if I move her to basking spot she returns to the corner under her hammock.

IF her bone in her wrist/hand is broken what is an expected healing time? Is there anything I can do to help rehabilitate her movement once she is fully healed (or during?)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Your serrapeptase is on its' way to you. :D
How is Pebbles doing today?
Gosh, you don't think her hand/wrist is broken do you? I hope not. If it is then it needs to somehow
be mobilized, maybe with a popsicle stick to make some type of splint. Will she put any weight on it at all?
She may take awhile to heal if it is broken, but I hope it isn't. How long has she been not wanting to bask?
I hope that the swelling goes down for her soon.

Tracie

Meeps408

Original Poster
Didn't get to interact with her much today (long day of work). It appeared to be more swollen today than before so i decided to take her climbing log out of the tank again and will keep it out until swelling is 100% gone or behavior returns to "normal" Pebbles behavior.

Pebbles does put weight on her hand but was limping a little bit (probably from jumping on her arm again from climbing stick)

I do not have an exact date on her not wanting to bask but maybe it appears to have progressed to complete avoidance of the area. The basking spot was on her climbing stick so i removed it and will be able to observe her Sunday. I am thinking she just did not want to climb on the stick anymore since that seems to be where she keeps hurting her self.

To summarize, trying something new because I think she is avoiding basking because of where the basking spot is located. Appears to be more injury related rather than symptoms of gout.

(note: I was rather tired when i wrote this so it is very jumbled.)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Pebbles doing today?
Has she swelling gone down on her hand much yet? I hope that she is improving for you, it does
take time when they have an injury.
Fortunately, it does sound more like an injury instead of gout which is terrific really. I hope she is feeling better. Keep us posted on her.

Tracie

Meeps408

Original Poster
Recieced the serrapeptase last night and administered today

Gave Pebbles .2ml at 11:20am pst and am waiting to see a reaction. She seemed to enjoy the mango flavor so that was a plus.
About an hour after administration of serrapeptase, she did move from basking spot I had set her on to cold side of tank.

Swelling appears to be about the same. Although her back right big toe also appears to be swollen it also has a slight coloration difference as if it is about to start shedding color.
92660-2968262644.jpg
gf noticed this swelling 2 days ago.
Both swelling seems to be only on right side.
I am going to try the serrapeptase for a week to see if anything changes before I start looking at more options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom