Toothless says yuck

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'm limiting my beardies and bluetongue skinks to two large silkworms each per day + maybe 10 medium crickets while I have the silkworms .

He's never been huge a fan of silkworms , even as a hatchling who's stomach was a like a bottomless pit for bugs.
He'll eat silkworms , BUT if he bites them and gets a mouth full of the green liquid he spits them out and I have to coax him to finish off his silkworm , this isn't so bad when I'm using fresh or blanched mulberry leaves to feed the silkworms, I think he hates the taste of them when I am using chow though.

Peppa on the other hand simply hovers them down and hardly even chews them.... I'm sure if I offered her more than two large silkworms she'd happily gobble down 5 - 6 or even more in a sitting.

Think I'm going to have to reserve the large silkworms for Peppa and the two bluetongues, and only give medium sized silkworms (1.5 - 2 inch long) to Toothless. Maybe he'll be enjoy the smaller size more.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's too bad, they're such a great food source. Plenty of other good stuff available though. Goes to show they certainly have their own preferences...

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Update .... swapping Toothless from large (2.3g silkworms) x 2 to medium (1.2-1.3g) x 4 did the trick, he guzzled the 1/2 sized silkworms down without any hesitation or coaxing .

Problem solved.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Definitely the green goo that dribbles out if he bites a silkworm who has been eating chow that he isn't keen on, he's much better at eating silkworms that have been fed fresh leaves, when they dribble green goo it's more puree like and he doesn't seem to mind the taste of that.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Toothless will be pleased , I'm down to my last 6 to 8 large and medium silkworms now. So 2 days max and all gone til my next batch of 50 mixed sizes of silkworms arrive from AussieFauna , and maybe no more for the lizards until they reach 2 inch long.

It'll be a while before the eggs I've had in fridge from last October that I got out to hatch and the resulting worms grow big enough to use too.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sure he'll appreciate the respite. You're so mean forcing him to eat so many yummy silks =).

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Izzy does the same thing with large Butterworms. She lives them as treats and I give her the largest ones because she's 18" vs. my younger juvenile, so he gets the small ones. Well she actually spit one out yesterday after she bit into it, and now won't go near a large one, but swallows the small ones whole...Picky little snots they are.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Original Poster
Silkworms arrived today , biggest are about 1.5in long so will be a little while before they are big and yummy and juicy , maybe 2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whokiry weth
Top Bottom