UVB tube too close? Causing eye problems?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
86626-9853346482.jpg
Rcecetly just got a light fitting so I could put the uvb tube on the inside of the mesh as I didn't want to take the risk of having it on top anymore but I was wondering, the tube is about 15 cm away from the basking spot and 10 cm above the spot he sits to get uvb, if that too close because I know that if I stared at that tube my eyes would probably hurt too and I don't want him to go blind so just checking, thanks! Here are some pics the light is kind of hard to see from the angle but you can see the fitting in the middle:
86626-5629832339.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Exactly what is the UVB tube
%uvb
Wattage
T8 or T5

See
t5ho_12_uvb.png

and refer to http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttubereflectortests.htm

I can't see a reflector mounted above the tube in the pictures, if it's a Zoo Med , Exo Terra or Arcadia tube , so I'd say no.
If it's cheap nasty Chinese junk , ie Natural Selections , Reptile One , etc .... probably .

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
it's an Exo terror t8 15 watt 10.0 tube, changed all my heat lamps and uvb tubes to Exo terror instead of reptile one.

neilkd21

Hatchling Member
with a t8 you want about 6 to 8 inches away so about 15cm to 20cm. So at the basking spot it's fine but maybe a bit too close at the 10cm mark especially if he would spend a lot of time in that spot.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Just a comment regarding your post, you mentioned "his basking spot" and then "the spot he sits to get his UVB" as being two different locations....Is that correct?

His basking bulb should be right alongside his UVB tube light, and he should be able to get both at the same time while on his basking spot. There should not be two different areas, as you obviously want the lighting in his tank to be as close to natural sunlight as possible. This means he should get his heat, his UVA, and his UVB all at the same time in one, single basking spot. So please make sure you have the UVB tube right alongside his basking bulbs, both directly over his basking spot, 6-8" inches away from both bulbs.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
neilkd21":3vgtcrmv said:
with a t8 you want about 6 to 8 inches away so about 15cm to 20cm. So at the basking spot it's fine but maybe a bit too close at the 10cm mark especially if he would spend a lot of time in that spot.
for a T8 10% tube NO REFLECTOR , beardie needs to get to about 4 inches from the tube , T8 tubes are very weak.

Add a reflector behind the T8 10% tube and yes 6 - 7 inches is fine.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
neilkd21":2nqgc514 said:
for a T8 10%uvb tube NO REFLECTOR , beardie needs to get to about 4 inches from the tube , T8 tubes are very weak.

Add a reflector behind the T8 10%uvb tube and yes 6 - 7 inches is fine.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A distance of 8" is fine for the t8....I raised MANY dragons that way, over a 20 year period. At 4" it would be way too close, never recommended anywhere to do that. For the first few years before the Reptisun 10.0 t8 came out I [ and other owners/breeders] used the EVEN LESS powerful 5.0 because that was then the considered the best at the time.

chameleon7

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
EllenD":1m84esd0 said:
Just a comment regarding your post, you mentioned "his basking spot" and then "the spot he sits to get his UVB" as being two different locations....Is that correct?

His basking bulb should be right alongside his UVB tube light, and he should be able to get both at the same time while on his basking spot. There should not be two different areas, as you obviously want the lighting in his tank to be as close to natural sunlight as possible. This means he should get his heat, his UVA, and his UVB all at the same time in one, single basking spot. So please make sure you have the UVB tube right alongside his basking bulbs, both directly over his basking spot, 6-8" inches away from both bulbs.
Thanks for the help guys, Elen i readjusted and the uvb and heat bulb are now right next to each other, Thanks for the concern! :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom