Broly the new super saiyan beardie

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So I'm still trying to recover from the weekend -- not that we really did anything unusual. Just tired all the time.

I think it's pretty normal for some beardies to sit around with their mouth half open sometimes, and not always something to worry about unless you notice other symptoms. When Puff does it, we threaten to stick a leaf in there -- anything to get him to eat his greens. :roll:

Glad you're feeling better and will get a chance to celebrate Father's Day a few days late. My husband got a "Happy Father's Day" email from Puff and Squirmles thanking him for all his help taking care of them, since he's their "daddy". I helped them work the computer and spell the hard words. :wink: And we called his dad. He has Parkinson's disease and dementia, but he was having a pretty good day and knew who we were -- it comes and goes. My father died several years ago, so that was all we did for Father's Day -- a pretty quiet day otherwise.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yeah, heck of a time Sun and Mon. I was able to get to my routine again. Cat boxes (they want two..for bathroom uses one for stool other for urine..), 3 bug bins, trash and dishes. Dishwasher fills with water...gotta get it fixed. For two people we use lots of dishes.

I got around to pruning my Venus flytraps...they're alive and seems one caught something. Well one has an inactive trap open and it doesn't snap close oh well...might be dying kept them for 1 yr. Im getting a kit with venus, cobra, pitcher and sundews all carnivore. Waiting till July and after independence day to order and ship. This kit starts as seeds..so patience will be my challenge. Also takes 1-6yrs to mature. Some species take 1 yr some take 2-6 yrs. im not a beginner I've taken care of seeds before.

Broly didn't pass any stool today. Gave him pumpkin because I have no butternut squash and his weight needed boosting. Idk if he still hates squash. He's 487g he dropped 10g in two weeks considering stool passing and no veg to boost it. I hear 10g is normal and anymore might be a problem. Then I read stools can weigh up to 25g! I wouldnt know...I don't weigh stool.

Sunny today and going outside windy still but it's always windy during summer. Winter is when wind goes wrong and happens through spring. Happy first day of summer!

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So you have carnivorous plants too? I suppose that comes in handy in case any of the bugs you keep around for the lizards manage to escape? :wink: I didn't even know Venus flytraps ever needed pruning. One of my friends had a little baby one once and I didn't even recognize it until she pointed out the tiny little "traps". Not even hardly big enough to catch a gnat, so far, but they were there.

We have a few resident spiders. My husband finds them in the shower and asks me for a little deli cup to catch them in and put them outside, but when I've locked up for the night I talk him into letting me turn them loose in the house in order to keep the population of other insects down, especially in the summer. Of course, it makes for extra "cobwebs" in the corners.

Both of us are too kind-hearted to kill anything, even a fly. I really don't know how we manage to feed live bugs to the bearded dragon. :?

Speaking of poo, Puffie had a little accident in his terrarium a couple of days ago when "mommy" was too tired/depressed to clean it up, so he'd managed to get it all over his tail by the time "daddy" got home, but fortunately he was able to get it off in the bath. Puff's been getting a little sloppy about his poops lately -- needs to somehow be reminded that Civilized Reptiles Do Not Slither Around In Their Own Poop. :roll: Of course, his comeback could always be "Whoever said I was civilized?"

We had a rather cloudy rainy summer solstice, but they're predicting nice partly sunny weather for the weekend, at least. My husband will be working half days most of next week in order to squeeze in his last couple of "use-it-or-lose-it" days off before the end of the fiscal year, so we're hoping to enjoy a little summer in between trying to catch up on all the grocery shopping and housework. :)

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Broly has normal stools. Capaldi had an upset stomach so he had diarrhea today and wanted snuggles. I gave him water with a pinch of sea salt to help with electrolytes. I had him sleep on me. It's really really warm so only uvb lights are on or else 117 deg!

I finally trimmed my toenails. Im so lazy that they grew longer. My big toe nail had a fungus years ago treated it but left cracks in the nail so trimming hurts it had no choice though.

Today, Donald (one of my dwarf frogs), got accidentally sucked up into our bucket of water. I saw him in the bucket, couldnt find my net so the only I could do was gently pick him up and have him jump back into the tank. Hes ok just a little stressed out. Hes alive just basically sittin in one spot for hours after that. Hes definitely stressed and shocked. Im still holding Capaldi hes really not feeling well. I'll have Tom examine him to see if anything is up. Physically, nothing wrong with him..but maybe inside. I'll update about him later.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Normal stools is a nice little accomplishment for Broly once in a while what with all his kidney issues. :) Hopefully Capaldi doesn't have anything more serious than a little something he ate disagreeing with him or some such minor issue. I suppose you put a towel or something under him for cuddling, otherwise diarrhea + snuggles could get messy. :wink: And it's good that you're paying attention to keeping him hydrated in the meantime.

I've had kind of a bad week depressionwise, and this evening at reptile bedtime I told my husband I was too tired and depressed to do the bedtime cuddle, but he brought Puff in the bedroom anyway and we all cuddled for a little while, so Puff got to play a little bit of "musical humans" and got some daddy and mommy snuggles. Then daddy tucked him in and turned off all the heat lamps so mommy didn't have to drag myself out of bed. That actually made me feel a little better. Beardie snuggles work almost as good as chocolate when the "dementors" are after you. :mrgreen:

Toenail clipping is a problem for me too. Fingernails are easy -- I just have to get around to it. When they start snagging reptile scales and getting in the way when I'm typing, I know it's time. But I've gotten so fat that it's a struggle to reach my toes. Never had a fungus that I know of so far, but some of them grow pretty funky if I let them get too long. My husband uses fingernail and toenail clipping as an excuse to go outside on a nice day, but he puts it off sometimes too, and claims to have lost a shoe size last time he cut his toenails. :lol: I just stay indoors to do it and let the vacuum get them if we ever get around to vacuuming... :roll:

Sounds like your little frog was just stunned to find himself somewhere he wasn't supposed to be, but hopefully not hurt.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Capaldi is back to normal. We cleaned the tank nothing in it. Tom didn't have to check him as he was very chipper this morning.

Beardies are good as usual. Today we'll see if Broly dislikes butternut. He did two weeks ago. Everyone still likes it. Oh well..

Allergies are doing a bang up job on me. Im grumpy and tired and took a pill thats probably not working. I had to sleep with my mouth open because my nose is stuffed or running. Sore throat and dry mouth...yay...
I have the boys out now so I can't sleep. I got Dr Who recorded, I watched the last week's episode. Hes almost about to regenerate! Im curious to see who's Dr #13.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Glad to hear that Capaldi wasn't seriously ill. We gave up on squash some time ago -- Puff doesn't seem to like it anymore either. We're down to collard and dandelion greens lately. At least the dandelion greens are free in the summer -- they're all over the yard.

Sounds like you and me and my husband all have the same sort of problems with allergies this time of year.

I told my husband I didn't mind if he went out and mowed the lawn on Saturday night so I could watch Dr. Who. (He doesn't like it, but I don't think he's given it a fair try. If we could watch it on the internet for free at a time of our own choosing, I'd pick out a nice non-violent episode to introduce him with -- maybe "In the Forest of the Night" or "Kill the Moon" -- those were some of my favorites too.

This last episode almost faked me out when it started out with him stumbling out of the TARDIS and regenerating, but after that false alarm when Bill shot him and he came back as Peter Capaldi (not really -- we're just playing a trick on the "Monks" -- and weren't they creepy...) I knew not to get my hopes up that we were going to find out this time, and we get to enjoy some more of Peter Capaldi in the meantime so it's cool. (Except for one too many of "The Master" and oh no more Cybermen...)

Puff's still having a hard time catching roaches, but "daddy" did manage to slip a few greens in his mouth while he was trying, so it wasn't a total loss. I'm planning to try slipping him a few extras in the middle of the week and see what happens.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Allergies are a problem for me up until August or September. I'm stuck with them no stupid pill works!!
I'll just muddle through. I've dealt with them on my birthday back in May so that sucked so much butt!!

Broly's pretty good, hes back to passing a stool every third day. I also had ignorant people messing with my service dog (ie talking to him or tryin to pet). Normally I don't mind but he was WORKING!! Now if we were sitting or standing in line hes technically (to me) not work just resting for a minute. I'll allow it if they ask. This woman did not ask she just tried talking to him, distracting him! Yes, Badger is a sweetheart and loves attention but he'll ignore if I tell him to. He ignored her which was good. I asked politely as I could though I can't stand talking to people not to talk to him. She said I was rude and walked away...I wasnt rude and not sure how she thought so. Ugh! THIS is totally why I favor animals over humans!! Why I hate communication in general. Most of the time no one bothers my service dog (for Aspergers and PTSD). I don't understand sometimes,

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
My husband and I are allergic to dust mites too, and I'm really bad about vacuuming, so we have a little something to aggravate our allergies year round, even after the pollen season is over, although it does get a little better.

At least he's not allergic to me. I'm not an allergy; I'm an irritant. :mrgreen:

I think some people have a hard time remembering not to distract service dogs when they're working, and some people just don't know, and it's natural to want to try to get friendly with someone's dog and talk to them and pet them and whatever, although it's always polite to ask the human if that's ok. It is kind of hard to get told no because it's a service dog and they're working, no matter how politely they tell you, but even so, it's still even more rude to take offense at that, so you weren't the one being rude..."Pot calling the kettle black" I think it's called. :roll: At least your husband and the rest of your family and friends seem to understand, and you don't have to spend much time with the ones who don't.

I get really upset when I have interactions like that with people too (it can cause my energy level to drop abruptly and send me off into an episode of depression that can last anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days), and sometimes I'm more comfortable with animals myself. At least they're honest about their feelings, once you learn how to read a black beard and a head bob, etc.

...Although I still have a hard time telling the difference between the little beardie dance that means "Get me out of here I have to go to the bathroom" (ended up on the wrong side of that one again the other day) and the little dance that means "Get me out of here I want to run around the house and get into mischief." :?

BTW, I finally got a chance to see a rerun of the Dr Who episode "Silence in the Library" and the sequel. You were right -- Uber creepy. :shock:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Haha, yes it's creepy! I then gave my oldest dragon, Vashta as a nickname. His name was Vash anyway..RIP Vashta!

Yeah, pollen bothers me more dust follows behind and less likely to make me sneeze unless I dust the house. Summer is so bad for me. Great for the reptile children, well the geckos can care less haha.

Well Badger has his vest on that says the rules. Some just don't read or care what it says. Teens are ok they dont run up and pet they usually walk passed us. Young kids are with parents so that's not an issue. It's always an ignorant adult!
I rarely run into people who dont care. I get its rare to be told don't talk to my dog. Some owners are ok with their dogs being pet. Im good with it too just not working. If we're standing then go ahead and pet.

Broly had runny stool it's pumpkin. I've ruled out squash. It's pumpkin which I know is squash but called pumpkin anyway.

Broly was mad last night. It was 4p and I thought Broly wanted to go home and eat. So I got the lights on (turn them off on hot days), put him back after it warmed up and stuck in salad no go, crickets no go, roaches no. I tried three times (not in one go I tried every hour till 8p) he was mad...so he skipped dinner. He picked that decision, he usually twice a day. This morning, he ate two bowls of greens. He may eat butternut since he likes it now and it's dinner.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
So did you get a chance to see the Dr Who season finale? :!: Spoiler alert if you haven't seen it yet: I really liked the way things ended up for Bill.

It's kind of funny that kids who are just learning to read sometimes do a better job of it than adults when it comes to reading what it says on a service dog's vest before you try to pet him. Go figure. :?

Lots of vets seem to prescribe pumpkin to help with regular bm's, I guess because it has good fiber. I even had a cat who tended to have poop about the consistency of yogurt and the vet told me to give him pumpkin. It seems to be more of a laxative for beardies and probably especially for Broly because of his kidney thing. Yeah, technically pumpkin is squash but it's a special kind of squash as opposed to butternut or whatever.

Sounds like you and Broly had a little misunderstanding about what he wanted. I have a hard time figuring out what Puff wants sometimes too. They're probably thinking "I was very clear with my request and how come the stoopid hooman can't figure out what I want?" :p

We did manage to figure out that the big plastic tub we've been using to feed Puff wasn't working so well for him anymore, possibly because it's colder than his basking platform and maybe also because the surface is too slippery for him to get a good foothold. So this last weekend I tried putting some roaches in a little "dish" (actually the plastic lid from a large jar of nuts -- they make good beardie dishes) and putting it all right in front of his nose while he was basking in his tank. Bingo. He managed to scarf up about 10 of them in a fairly short time. I quit doing that with crickets because they jump away from him and hide behind the cage furniture, but I figured I might be able to get away with it with roaches because they're easier to catch just as long as you can keep track of them. We're talking about getting him some more crickets and trying the plastic tub again, maybe with a towel on the bottom and a heat lamp to make it a little warmer.

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

I saw the season finale now there isn't anything till xmas. I don't watch Star Trek..I've tried I can't. It's not my show.
Im waiting for season 3 of Ash vs Evil Dead. I know it's not the best TV series out there but I like it. I named my hamster after Ash.

Broly and Ash both had a few apple pieces. I cut them up and cut skin off. Idk I heard skin messes with their stomach or something. Broly passed a stool yesterday I was out. I came home and bathed him he had stool on his tail. I noticed a slight yellow on chest/belly area. I tried scrubbing softly after soaking..didn't come off. I checked it and didn't spread or look nasty. So either shed or natural color. Im sure it's not the bad yellow. Idk how long it's even been there...I just noticed it when I bathed him. I thought it was stool but guess not. I really don't need a vet for this weird coloration on the chest. Tom said it's not suspcious. -.- this is a bit stressing but like human kids the worry never goes away when you spot something new. Youre anxious to know what it is.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
I suppose I can get by with reruns until Christmas (sigh), and of course they're going to keep us in suspense about who the new Doctor is going to be... :roll: I haven't tried watching "Evil Dead" so far.

A lot of apples are waxed to protect them from insects and make them shiny, and that might be why they don't recommend feeding store bought apples to reptiles, but I suppose it's possible that they have trouble digesting the skin even if it's not waxed (organic or fresh off a tree in your own garden), even though it's supposed to be good fiber for us humans. The famous food and nutrition chart on "beautifudragons.com" says apples should be peeled, but it doesn't have any notes to explain why. Maybe further research is needed :study: but not urgent in my case because our beardie won't eat apples anyway. :|

I think the idea that their beardie might be getting the dreaded "yellow fungus" scares a lot of people whenever they see any coloring that looks yellowish, but if your veterinarian husband has taken a good professional look at it and says it's not suspicious, then you probably don't need to worry, even though it's perfectly natural for all of us beardie "parents" to worry excessively about our "children". :wink:

BlueDragon09

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Hey,

Yes YF scares everyone! In the US it happens frequently in Australia, not at all. It only exists here as well as Adeno too. We're not sure why it's just here and no one can cure YF. Adeno is on the way to be almost cured. A good friend is working on a cure for it. She's on the forums as Drache613. Shes working on eradicating adeno. YF will take a good amount of years to get rid of. Meantime, dragons die from it or it's successfully treated. Tom (before I moved in) had a YF dragon and he lived 3 years with it on and off. It would shed off and die and then for some odd reason it came back and it went on like this for 3 years. He died with it off his body at least but medicating on and off took a toll on him. His tank was cleaned with F10 and 3 years later, Kane came to us. That same tank is Kane's and new decorations and food bowls. New flooring too. No problems at all with Kane being in there hes been in there for a year.

As for Broly, you cant see it. If I were to put a pic NOBODY would see it. It's like very light in color. We dunno what it is but I've monitored it..it's day 2 and nothing is happening. I don't want anything to happen. I gave a bath yesterday and it didn't spread (I wasn't testing I was trying to clean). Since no spreading after baths it's safe to say it's not YF. I've dealt with YF personally. Broly is getting tired of us checking on his chest but I know what I saw. It looks like it was never there..see? Light im color.

Sad note: one of my dwarf frog died of old age. Mickey was perfectly fine, eating, swimming around this morning to find him DEAD 20 minutes later. It was so strange...he was fine yesterday and all weekend. I suspect he died of old age and everyone is acting normal.

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
That would be great if they could find a cure for adenovirus within our beardie's lifetime. He tested positive for it about 2 1/2 years ago. Hopefully the cure won't be worse than the disease if one is developed. I've never had to deal with yellow fungus (and I don't ever want to if I can possibly avoid it), but apparently the meds are pretty harsh and not always effective.

Beardies don't seem to like you looking at their underbellies, but I've found that Puff just barely tolerates it if I hold him with his back feet resting on my chest and lift up the front part of his body so that he has his hands on my hand with all four of his arms and legs resting on something at least fairly solid (my body is soft and squishy and bouncy) and so that he's still more or less right side up. He definitely does NOT like being turned upside down to have his underbelly looked at, or for any other reason. He even gets a little nervous when I'm sitting in a chair with him and have to lean forward to get up, because it tilts him a little backwards for just a moment.

Sounds like Broly's slight yellow coloring is probably just pigmentation or shedding. It's good that you and Tom have been watching it just to be sure, but Broly is probably starting to wonder why the "stoopid hoomans" keep looking at his chest. :wink:

At least your little frog was healthy almost up to the last minute and didn't suffer a long decline or illness. I had that happen to a gerbil once -- one day he was fine, and the next day I found him dead in his little enclosure. He was about 4 years old, which I understood is a ripe old age for a gerbil.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom