Please look. This isn't normal! Need help. Tail rot? Bite?

Status
Not open for further replies.
92626-4296010323.jpg
92626-2565002339.jpg

She always had a black ring around her tail but until her first/last which wasn't more then a week MAYBE two weeks ago.. and shes shedding again now? It's getting worse Is it going to fall off? Is it infected? Could she just have a kink? Like cats do? It's not bleeding it's just misshapen and strange looking. WHAT DID I DO :( I just finished a round of albon for parasites could that have made it worse? I am giving her baths while she's shedding to make things easier for her should I stop?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Just looks like a little hatchling who is shedding , maybe a bit of retained shed on the very tail tip from the previous shed.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those may end up being harmless or they may cut off circulation. You can apply neosporin or raw honey to the end part. If you use honey be sure there are no loose crickets in the tank that would be attracted to the honey.

Post a picture again after it sheds.

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
If you could please post a couple of close-up pics of the tail itself and the end of the tail so we can see the issue clearly it would be very helpful.

Obviously she is shedding her entire tail right now, hence the white tail, but the end portion with the two links isn't normal, you're correct, but it's also not quite an emergency...Yet. It is most likely retained shed in the two spots where the kinks are. Think of retained shed on the end of their tails like rubber bands, as this is the best analogy I can think of. The retained shed eventually cuts off the circulation to the portion of their tails below the retained shed, and if not removed then that portion of the tail will become necrotic and typically dry up and fall off. I'm sure you know that Beardies do not regenerate their tails or limbs, so that part of the tail will be gone forever, but not a huge deal.

Where this can become a huge deal is if a bacterial or fungal infection sets in to the area around the retained shed. This happens because there is little to no circulation of blood to a portion of the tail, so it becomes perfect for bacteria to invade because their immune system can't fight off the Infection in the area with no blood flow. This is when tail rot happens. Tail rot is basically a vicious cycle, infection sets in, kills tissue, the dead tissue falls off but the Infection moves right up the tail, killing the tail all along its way, until the Infection hits the body, the Infection then becomes systemic (Sepsis) which is typically fatal if it reaches that point.

Your beardie's tail certainly does not have tail rot at this point, but it's very important that if it is retained shed (I'm pretty sure but need the close-up pics) you get it off of his tail and get some topical antibiotics or raw, unpasteurized honey on the area ASAP, as to prevent tail rot from starting.

I'd be doing warm soaks daily and using a very soft-bristled toothbrush (baby toothbrush works well) gently try to get the retained shed off of what looks to be two different locations. The warm water soaks and the brushing should get it off, though it can be difficult so keep at it, maybe soaks twice a day. Then dry her completely and apply either a triple antibiotic ointment like Neosporin or raw, unpasteurized honey (not regular honey, only raw, unpasteurized, unfiltered honey) all around her tail, from the very end of her tail all the way up to a bit above the effected area into the good tissue, just to make sure you cover the entire area. Hopefully this treatment will not only get the retained shed off but will also prevent any infection from setting in, or treat any Infection that has already set in. She may lose that entire part of her tail, as it may very well turn black, dry up, and fall off, but as long as you keep applying the raw honey or the triple antibiotic ointment throughout the entire process daily it should keep it from spreading upward.

Again, we need close-up pics because we cannot really tell if it's 100% retained shed from the photos you posted.

Lovinonmybell

Original Poster
It's also on her longest toe :( it's like little black rings. Her last shed she shed completely, I thought it was her first because of how tiny she was , could it have not been her first shed and the petstore neglected to notice their was some places stuck.. I sware it looks worse then it did but maybe it's because of the shedding it looks worse?

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Pet stores only care about the sale, not the dragon!
If it were mine, I would be soaking him in a bath for a bit every other day and gently scrubbing the effected area with a soft toothbrush until the shed came off. If you don't, he could lose those appendages.

Lovinonmybell

Original Poster
So the old shed won't come off with the new shed? I was so worried the second I saw my beardies going into shed because of all the horror stories I've read about old shed notcoming off I bought shed ease and made sure to baths them while shedding, even before then I did it once a day to give them water but stopped since I was told it wasn't nessisary.

Theirs no quicker way to get the old shed ...and now new shed off? I lightly pinched the tip of her tail and she definitely felt it, I'm so mad at myself for not knowing but I thought it was from the petstore since she was housed with other big beardies and she came with them... Thought they were battle scars :( my poor baby

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Lovinonmybell":1veyzxk5 said:
So the old shed won't come off with the new shed? I was so worried the second I saw my beardies going into shed because of all the horror stories I've read about old shed notcoming off I bought shed ease and made sure to baths them while shedding, even before then I did it once a day to give them water but stopped since I was told it wasn't nessisary.

Theirs no quicker way to get the old shed ...and now new shed off? I lightly pinched the tip of her tail and she definitely felt it, I'm so mad at myself for not knowing but I thought it was from the petstore since she was housed with other big beardies and she came with them... Thought they were battle scars :( my poor baby
Don't blame yourself, its not your fault!
It should come off eventually, it takes time just keep an eye on it. If it doesn't, the loss shouldn't have much effect at all, they adapt very well. Peaches is missing the end of a finger on her front right hand, was lost in battle before I got her!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommatojack
Top Bottom