Eating but malnourished?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElliotandShawn

My 5 year old beardie's cranial fat pads recently sunk in and today I noticed her pelvic bones directly behind her back legs are protruding. Her stomach is still full and you cannot see her ribs. She eats grapes, mealworms, and crickets (freeze-dried because I am in a situation where fresh ones are hard to get). She is a very picky eater, and these seem to be the only foods I can get her to eat on a regular basis. Food is made available to her everyday and hasn't been restricted in quantity. My other beardie had exibited none of these symptoms. Does anybody have any advice? I'm about to leave on a trip for a week but I'm very worried for her health.

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
At 5 years old she should be eating 80% greens and 20% bugs. Collard, mustard and, turnip greens are all good staples. Freeze dried bugs lack proper nutrition and, hydration. She could be dehydrated.

ElliotandShawn

Original Poster
Gormagon":1r0gfb8g said:
At 5 years old she should be eating 80% greens and 20% bugs. Collard, mustard and, turnip greens are all good staples. Freeze dried bugs lack proper nutrition and, hydration. She could be dehydrated.

She isn't dehydrated. I will try the greens you have suggested. As I said, she is a very picky eater. Any tips to get her to actually eat them?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Have you ever considered buying silkworm eggs , hatching them and then raising the worms to feeder size (at least 1.5 inch long) , and letting some go full cycle and become moths .
Each female moth will lay up to 400 eggs which can either be chilled (fridge no colder than 5degC) or hatched right away.
Mulberry leaves are available most everywhere (as far north a 50deg latitude) , and if not available , silkworm chow is available by mailorder and is easy made up in small batches as needed.
From eggs to about 1.5 inch long will take about 3 - 4 weeks (see this thread for how I raise my silkworms from eggs == viewtopic.php?f=76&t=222193.)

Another option is either Repashi VeggieBurger and / or Repashi GrubPie which can be made up as a moist paste and used to provide a good balanced diet for a beardie. Can even use a mixture of the two to give any portion veg : insect protein you like.
I know of a few people who have very restricted live insect access (from commercial insect breeders) or no live feeder insect access because the price per insect is prohibitive (ie over $1NZ per cricket !!) who have successfully reared beardie hatchlings on GrubPie and are still using these products with not health issues.

If he is starting to waste , it may be indication of a serious underlying health issue , is definitely worth having a good reptile vet examine him and check for issues with his kidneys, heart, liver and for hidden cancers in the body cavity (might be able to detect these through xrays and blood tests).
If they detect no major issues , you've spent a little money on a vet consult and tests , and will likely have a much better idea of what ails him .... if anything.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
ElliotandShawn":1b3vg2hr said:
Gormagon":1b3vg2hr said:

She isn't dehydrated. I will try the greens you have suggested. As I said, she is a very picky eater. Any tips to get her to actually eat them?

If she's reabsorbing / using her fat reserves, I suggest she needs a higher ratio of insects to veg than that mentioned ....

What country are you in ?
.... we may be able to help you locate a source of live feeder insects who you can order suitable insects from online for delivery to your door either by the post or by a courier.

She could perhaps do with a period of supplementation using either VetaFarm HerpaBoost or the local equivalent (ReptiBoost ??) , see http://vetafarm.com.au/product/herpaboost/

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom