How should I slice my veggies?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi guys! So recently I've been force feeding my beardie to eat veggies cause his prev owner has spoiled him with only dubias. What I do is I slice the carrot, apples, squash thinly and slip it into his mouth (like leafies). Is there a size limit to this? or it's okay as long as he chews it? I've also noticed recently he has wet stool.. I've been using the water trick where I dip the leafies to water.. thinking of pausing the veggies for now but damn insect diet is also expensive :/ Any advice you can give? Still have to schedule his vet. thanks in advance :)

justinewin

Original Poster
He is a 1yr old beardie (just this May). The carrot slices are around 2mm thick, around 2 inches long, somewhat rectangular in length :)

CaramelBeet

Hatchling Member
Ok, just checking he wasn't still a baby haha.
As long as it's not bigger than the size between his eyes he should be ok. You could also try grating it if you want, might be faster.
Is he only getting the apple/carrot/squash? You need to try and encourage him to eat some green leafies too (like collard greens, endive, escarole etc etc etc), although that may be easier said than done :lol: (may also help with the wet stool) http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html is a good guide to start with.
I wish you luck with the vegetable transition... My guy is still young enough to eat mainly insects, so I haven't had to fight that battle yet. Perhaps someone more experienced can offer advice on the transition.

justinewin

Original Poster
omg thanks for the link, very helpful! I don't think the slices are as wide as his eyes. They're wider, but I still hand feed it to him. I'll try to make my slices smaller. Thanks again :) Goodluck! Make sure to introduce veggies earlier :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
hard veg (ie carrot and sweet potato) - I simply peel and grate raw. -

I then mix with greens ie peas , beans and pulse in the food processor using the chopping blade.

Greens - I shred by hand.

I make up my greens and veg mix in bulk , and freeze in large icecube maker trays, I then simply pop out a cube as needed and thaw it and then mix fresh shredded buk choi greens with it.

Sorry but at 12 months old he still needs one live insect meal per day as he still needs a lot high quality insect protein and fats to help him grow over then next year or so . If he eats the greens and veg at 12 months old , that's OK.

Apple is worthless nutritionally to a beardie - is a great source of hydration though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom