UVB on top of mesh or below?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Reptisun 10.0 t5 HO 24w bulb (as an upgrade from the t8). I am still unsure about whether or not to put it on top of the screen or below it. I know people say they are strong enough that it doesnt matter if some UVB is lost, but I want to ask the experts one more time. Currently his UVB fixture is on top of the mesh, about 12 inches from his basking spot.

Ive heard stories of people noticing an immediate effect when upgrading to a t5 form a t8, like increased activity and appetite, but I havent seen any difference yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Travis

travisgould

Original Poster
It wouldnt be too much UV exposure? I can mount it inside with some wires etc so it would sit on the underside of the mesh, still 12 inches above. 12 inches above the BASKING SPOT that is, not him. He is about probably 10 inches from the top, considering his height etc

JessPets

Gray-bearded Member
travisgould":1v6k2dye said:
It wouldnt be too much UV exposure? I can mount it inside with some wires etc so it would sit on the underside of the mesh, still 12 inches above. 12 inches above the BASKING SPOT that is, not him. He is about probably 10 inches from the top, considering his height etc

At 10", on top of the screen is fine

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You want to try and provide about 3-6 UVI over the main basking area with gradients down to less than 1 in other areas of the tank so there are plenty of options. Here are some readings I've taken with that bulb using a screen and without a screen that may be helpful for reference. The different fixtures and reflectors make a difference. I did my test using the ZooMed T5 hood.

76248-5109533737.jpg

Taterbug has a chart with some results from other combinations available to reference as well.

https://sites.google.com/site/thelizardmadness/lighting-guides

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I would personally mount it underneath of your screen so he can get full exposure. It is a safe light & it's nice & bright especially when you use a basking light alongside of it, also.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
El heffe
Top Bottom