The Salad Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

MizzMary

Hey everyone!

I'm new here, but I've been reading posts for a long time before deciding to join the forum. I currently have two beardies, Bilbo(M) and Hannibal(F) The pet store that i purchased them from was very misleading of course. Convinced me to buy a starter kit (20G!!) and was told they could be housed together. Upon further research and alot of money later, I've managed to sort it all out. Since ive been reading about everything from A-Z here, ive gotten a better understanding of their diet requirements. Because i live in Saskatchewan Canada, I cannot feed them any Dubia roaches, which is a shame. So they have been getting crickets mostly and some superworms,waxworms,hornworms,bsfl,butterworms.(the hornworms and waxworms and butter worms are sometimes available) They mostly just carry crickets and superworms/mealworms at the ready. Which is unfortunate so i've been looking into ordering from The Worm Lady. So I've been to every grocery store here and its like Collard Greens dont exist in rural Saskatchewan... So i found some seeds and planted some this year for them, because currently they are eating Green leaf lettuce. Which seemed to be about my only option until i can harvest my endive and collard greens. Now i've mixed up their salads i've used Strawberries,Blueberries,raspberries,blackberries,apple,butternut squash,beardie bites,carrots,bell peppers all colors. You name it i've used it, and they cant seem to be bothered with any of the added and just want their green leaf. Which i guess is good that they are atleast eating some lettuce, But i cant get them to take to anything other than that. I was told they were born around november 20-26 ish cant personally recall. So they would be about 7 months-ish old. Assuming that what they told me was correct. Bilbo is about 17" long snout to tail. Hannibal is a bit smaller, shes also missing the end of her tail, but i bought her anyway. I purchased them on March 5th ( I know this because i took photos the day they came home.) They both seem like they are doing great, I just could use some more suggestions as to salad ideas for toppings. They get fed three times a day breakfast is salad and the next two are protein meals. Bilbo's the adventurer, Hannibal is more calm and collected. She would rather sit still and watch everyone. Bilbo is all over the house embarking on his next new adventure. I certainly named them appropriately lol. Anyhow nice to meet you all!

91626-5537264054.jpg
Me & Bilbo

Gormagon

Extreme Poster
Hello Mary and welcome to the forum and to the wonderful world of bearded dragons, a magical land of mystery, enchantment, cuddles, love and, worry! A mysterious realm where things always seem to change in an instant and, the moment you think you have it all figured out, the rules change! You think you own your dragon?, Ha Ha....guess again..... Like it or not, you are now a slave, lol!
Bilbo looks quite healthy and, happy! You can try grated butternut squash or spaghetti squash. Grating it makes it easier for them to chew up and, it looks like worms. Thou can also try mustard greens if available (my dragon's favorite).

MizzMary

Original Poster
Thanks for taking the time to reply! Oh boy, I know im a slave already, Since i've gotten them i've been up at the crack of dawn turning their lights on (because i havnt purchased a timer yet) to make sure they get the proper lighting/timing daily. At night they come out and both sleep on me and then i transfer them to a soft lined "shoe box" where i cover them up and put them back in the cage to make sure they stay warm enough through the night. We will usually take them out of the cage daily too to let them run around and roam the house to stretch their legs a bit. They both have healthy appetites, I just wanted to get them started on their salads at a young age to ensure that when they grow older they will not snub their salads. I've wasted many of salads through the months of them not touching them at all, but hey sometimes they do! lol I was shredding the butternut squash but they wont even give it a nibble. I have also looked for mustard greens as well with no such luck!, I checked the late garden yesterday and im seeing some sprouts of collards coming up so yay!! Im hoping as they get bigger they will be more open to variety in fruits/veg. I'll just keep adding it and maybe one day they will go ahead and try it. I've also noticed that they will not eat the salad infront of me, so I can be in the living room and look over to one of them nibbling away and they will immediately stop and stare at me. I can take a hint! lol

When I go to my LPS i always check on their beardies, There is one there that I would love to own as well, I've named him Mr. Stub (hes got a stub tail basically) The breeder must have kept a bunch of babies in the same small enclosure because they all seem to have bits and pieces missing. When i had purchased my beardies I got a pretty good deal, i paid 40.00CAD for Hannibal and i mentioned that i would like a friend for her so shes not alone because i would feel bad. ( Oh i know right this is the point where the pet store should have said something like "its not a good idea to house two dragons together because of this and that" but nope they saw their easy mark and ran with it! lol Cant really blame em' i should have done my research before purchasing. They nice lady sold me my other dragon Bilbo for 20.00. I was a bit miffed at first about it all, but I wouldnt have it any other way now, I love em both! and im thinking since i've got my extra starter tank sitting there being useless as it was the day i got it, I might just have space for Mr. Stubs! :lol: :twisted:

91626-7661126610.jpg
Bilbo
91626-4550146875.jpg
Hannibal (left) Bilbo (Right)
91626-7590271514.jpg
91626-6147442167.jpg
Hannibal

Mysty

Juvie Member
Re the collard greens, they are called speing greens here in the UK so maybe they have a different name in your locality?

Lettuce doesn't do much nutritionally for beardies. Its great that you're growing your own staples. :) while you're waiting, pak choi, coriander, basil, rocket and watercress are all suitable occasional greens (twice weekly).

MizzMary

Original Poster
Oh thanks for the other suggestions! I will have to have a quick look today before i head to work. Its strange that i couldn't find collard greens, was even googleing it to find out if it had a different name here to and couldn't find anything. Ah well soon enough. Im aware that lettuce has no nutrients, but couldnt find anything else to replace it, but thanks for the advice! I was really trying to push their salad toppers to make sure they got atleast something from eating their breakfast! lol Ah well, i'll have a look today and see if I can find what you mentioned. Seems the grocery stores are littered with spinach and kale these days! lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom