Baby beardie wants to swim!

Status
Not open for further replies.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
I know this is nothing too crazy as naturally dragons know how to swim, but she's the first dragon I've had that wants to swim.
Simon used to sit and soak, Richter tries to escape, but Alucard wants to swim!

https://youtu.be/GOiYcMdkmWE

It's too cute not to share, and I feel badly she didn't have enough room but I fully expected her to hate the water and this caught me by surprise.

Just to clarify, I initially thought she was struggling and immediately removed her, only to see she displayed no sign of stress or clinginess. Placed her in the water again and she began ducking down and wiggling again, confirming she was wanting to swim and not wanting out. I caught Simon as a baby try it once but never did since

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm glad she likes the water. They can be pretty good swimmers if they want to do it. Darwin likes swimming too. He hopped into a shallow area of the lake we were staying at last summer and puttered around for a while then basked in the sun on the dock to warm back up.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Back when I still had Simon I planned to get them a kiddie pool. Now that Alucard seems interested I may actual get one, and preferably one I can sit in, too. House does not have central air...

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Good idea. I can't imagine not having A/C with this heat wave that's going through. SO sticky outside =X. I'm definitely a winter critter.

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
When I bought the house I was like oh man there are so many windows I can open I'll have a breeze and be fine!! ... except for storming/sticky humid days. I have a window AC but all my windows open sideways, so it can only go in the one normal window which is the kitchen.. and it's a long house... but hey, target has a $25 inflatable pool!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I feel your pain, for years we had no aircon , was hell trying to sleep during scorching hot/humid days when I'd been on dogwatch (midnight - 8am shift) in summer, and not much fun sleeping on the really muggy tropical nights when there was no breeze and it was like 90oF all night with very high humidity.

Then I invested in a window mounted aircon (a Kelvinator 1/2 HP) unit , boy did it make a racket , but it did a great job at knocking out the humidity and cooling the air so made sleeping possible (only good for one room !! though)..

Then when we got married and bought this house , no double hung sash windows , all horizontal sliders or those horrible awning style windows.
So I cut a hole in the N wall of the master bedroom and mounted the old window mount aircon in the hole ... solved that problem ... but the sound really amplified in the wall cavity !!!

You might be able mount your aircon like this http://www.instructables.com/id/Installing-AC-unit-inside-of-a-horizontally-slidi/ in your slider windows.
'
Eventually I splashed out and had a 3.5 HP Fujitsu Split Air Con installed in the living area (lounge - dining room + kitchen) while I was renovating the house , 3.5 HP was about 50% larger than I needed according to the salesperson , but I wanted a unit that would never struggle to heat / cool the entire house.
Was a huge house renovation , managed and a lot done by me by myself (though I hired a builder to do to the really heavy lifting) , comprising removing asbestos cladding, insulating exterior walls and ceilings with fibre batts and recladding with HandyPlank, rippng out the original kitchen and bathroom and changing some interior walls , recladding some interior walls s with timber panels, upgrading/redesigning bathroom and kitchen, replacing all the old timber awning style windows with aluminium sliders and double hung window , replacing all the old interior doors with new doors , new solid timber entrance doors + securioty doors + monitored alarm system + putting up a double garage ) , took about 3 months ....

Best investment ever IMO .... and not all that expensive to run if you run it 24/7 .

First split unit lasted 25 years , compressor eventually died, now we've a 3HP Inverter Model (same brand , some heating and cooling power as old one , lots quieter ) and had it for about 4 years and love it. This is what we have https://www.fujitsugeneral.com.au/product/astg24lfcc-with-aotg30lbta4?category=Inverter Multi - Wall Mounted

There are split aircon that run 2 or 3 wall hung units powered by a single exterior compressor that are good value , cheaper than ducted aircon and much easier to install (only requires a small hole in the wall for the plumbing and cabling) . ie
https://www.fujitsugeneral.com.au/commercial-range/multi-type-system-c
Frigidaire makes Slider Casement units that provide 8,000 to 12,000 BTU cooling capacity for rooms up to 640 sq. ft. Korean manufacturer LG (who makes many of Sears' Kenmore air conditioners) offers a 10,000 BTU vertical mount unit for $339. And then there is a range from Fedders, which claims to fit windows from 21"-40.5" high and needs 15.5" minimum in width. Just make sure you study up on matching the specifications of the unit with the size and cooling needs of your home;

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
I've looked into "portable" air conditioners which would be great in the bedrooms, but it doesn't solve the living room situation which is where I am most often. The living room just has 1 giant bay window, and while 2 of the 5 windows do open, it's a hand crank kind, and I still would not be able to vent the hose out the window. Ugh.

Pool it is! Alucard would appreciate the pool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom