Crocs not eating any bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronvrens

Hello Everyone.
Just a bit of a concern that crocs isn't eating any worms or crickets. She has her greens and veggies every day and seems fine and very active.
Since her treatment for parasites she has been very well and alert and enjoys spending most of the day with me in the garden. Does a lot of running around.
She has her bath or shower about 3 to 4 times a week and poops almost every day. The poop looks good with a bit of fluid then the urate bag and a small to medium brown log.
Should I be worried about the lack of protein and what alternative is there for me to give her.
Hoping for some advice

Ronnie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Croc is about 5 to 6 months old ? how heavy is she ?

Do you have a graph of her weight over time ? can you show it to us ?

can you upload a recent image if her ?

I think 3 - 4 baths / week is over doing it with the baths
.... my beardies can go for several months / over a year between baths without getting smelly or any health issues. I think we've mentioned that bathing for beardies is unnecessary unless it's something they enjoy (then it's OK to endulge them occasionally).

You mention worms in her diet ... what kind of worms are these ?
.... superworms and mealworms are not appropriate for her at her age (my vet told no supers or mealworms for young beardies BECAUSE have a tight turn / kink in their gut that is easily blocked by hard to digest exoskeletons , this straightens out somewhat as they become subadults).

Can you revise the UVB and its age ?

Can you revise the viv temperatures and basking spot temperature ?

can you review her feeding schedule (when are her meals ? should still be two live insect meals per day at 6 months old) and her lighting schedule (when on , off ?) ?

How long since her last shed ? any signs of an impending shed ?

Best sources of protein for her are :

LARGE BSF maggots
medium (2inch) and small (1-1.5inch) silkworms
crickets or roaches or locusts
maybe Repashi BUGPIE.

Ronvrens

Original Poster
Just a few things about Crocs
She is almost 18 months old. She weighs 450 grams. I haven't kept a graph of her weight but she doesn't seem to have lost weight.
Her diet has always been crickets and superworms which she ate with relish until a few weeks ago when she seemed to be a bit off. She gets turnip greens and kale and also butternut squash, carrots, baby Marrow, sweet potato now and then. I give her some apple baby puree and her daily dose of calcium.
She was treated for parasites two weeks ago and now is so lively and busy most of the day outside with me in the garden.
Her lighting and temps are ok but she still prefers to be outside during the day when the sun shines. Her viv is mainly for cloudy and sunless days and for sleeping.
She loves her uick shower most mornings and a long bath once a week. She has never been one for drinking water so I just put some drops on her nose and mouth in the shower and most times she licks a bit.
Her stools look ok.

Ollie2

I feel like a commercial but my tip would be to try some Repashy Grub Pie. (I have no affiliation with them.)

I have a rescue who was blind and first didn't eat anything (force feeding) and when she finally started seeing and eating, she would only eat veggies. I kept trying different bugs and different commercial foods and gub pie was the first protein she was willing to eat. It might be something to bridge you over until Crocs is willing to eat bugs again.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Sometimes the meds. affect their appetite and the veggies appeal to them more since they are naturally sort of like cleansing agents. Don't worry too much, at her size + age she's fine eating that way and when she does return to eating bugs it should be only every 2-3 days at the most.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Ronvrens":3iy3qdi7 said:
Just a few things about Crocs
She is almost 18 months old. She weighs 450 grams. I haven't kept a graph of her weight but she doesn't seem to have lost weight.
<<< she's a good weight then for an 18 month old...no idea why I though she might be only 6 months old.

Her diet has always been crickets and superworms
<<< at her age one live insect meal per day is fine along with greens and veg

which she ate with relish until a few weeks ago when she seemed to be a bit off. She gets turnip greens and kale and also butternut squash, carrots, baby Marrow, sweet potato now and then. I give her some apple baby puree and her daily dose of calcium.
She was treated for parasites two weeks ago and now is so lively and busy most of the day outside with me in the garden.
Her lighting and temps are ok but she still prefers to be outside during the day when the sun shines. Her viv is mainly for cloudy and sunless days and for sleeping.
She loves her uick shower most mornings and a long bath once a week. She has never been one for drinking water so I just put some drops on her nose and mouth in the shower and most times she licks a bit.
Her stools look ok.
<<< sounds OK to me ... so long as she is getting sufficient time at about 40oC under a good UVB source (10%UVB or higher) each day to be able to properly digest her food and metabolise her dietary calcium .... at 18 months old she will still be growing , but tapering off in the growth for another 6 - 12 months.

Ronvrens

Original Poster
Hello

Just an update on Crocs

Since my last post I have had a stool retest and everything is ok. She still spends a lot of time in the garden with me every day and our daytime temps are usually around 30 degrees.
Crocs loves to have and afternoon nap for about an hour from 12 to 1 and at about 5 in the afternoon she looks for a place to sleep. This is normally on my shoulder or she finds a dark corner.
The temps in her viv at night is around 30 degrees.
She sleeps under a blanket .
At the moment I feel she is in a very good condition, eating well and having a stool every day or two
Thanks to everyone for all the help and comments

Ronnie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom