Bearded Dragons and Calcium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have two Bearded Dragons ( I would have 3, but I lost one on May 25 due to renal failure and bought a baby home on Memorial Day to cope with the loss) when I buy them crickets and put calcium on them they pay more attention to the calcium that falls to the bottom of their cages. They'll start digging and clawing at the calcium until they tear the newspapers that I put down for their substrate. Does anyone else see their Bearded Dragon(s) doing this?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I've heard of some of them doing it. Want to be careful not to give too much though. Have you tried sprinkling a little on their salads? If it attracts that much attention sometimes it can be used to draw them to a nice healthy salad =).

Gman786

Original Poster
I don't give them very many salads since my vet told me berries were too high in carbohydrates during a wellness exam. I mostly give Mustard Greens, sometimes I give Parsley, and Kale since they aren't considered staple foods for them. I usually dab a little bit of calcium on their crickets with the smallest option on a teaspoon set before I hand them over, but since the substrate is newspaper they always seem to find the calcium. If I put a newspaper with a green background they'll attack it thinking that food is on it. I forgot to mention the zucchini that I occasionally give them for a change up when they turn their noses up at the greens.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Berries should be used sparingly but dark leafy greens and squash and other veges are great for them and can provide an excellent source of minerals and vitamins. Veges should be the main food source for adult dragons so it's best to try and get them at least familiar with salads at a young age. Some of the other stuff you're offering is good so I'd keep it up. My dragon likes collards and turnip greens and sometimes dandelion greens. LOVES squash of just about any kind. And will dig into chopped bell peppers and chopped green beans pretty regularly too. Just need to try some stuff out and find their favorites. I usually put in 2-3 items from this list and just give the leftovers to the bug colony http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom