Dubias, BSFL and too much calcium?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hemberger

Hello,
I am feeding dubias and reptiworms (BSFL). Arrow is 2.5 months old. We brought her home on June 6th, last weight was 38g and almost 9in. Reptisun 10.0 T5, 100 wt zoo med basking light.
Is this schedule okay? I am doing 3 meals a day. I feed greens daily, given in the afternoon meal along with live prey.

Monday- Dubia dusted with calcium
Tuesday- Reptiworms dusted with vitamin
Wednesday- Dubia dusted with calcium
Thursday-Reptiworms dusted with vitamin
Friday- Dubia dusted with calcium
Saturday- Reptiworms
Sunday- Dubia

Just finished Albon for coccida. Last dose of Panacur is tomorrow pm for hookworms, seems to be handling the medication okay. Just got the probiotic in today. Will start tomorrow.
I am using Rep-cal that has d3 and Herptivite for vitamins.

Will she be getting too much D3 with the supplement and the T5 bulb or an overdose is unlikely??
On the schedule I was switching it up at every feeding, but then I didn't know if that was setting us up for too much calcium?? Dusting the dubia and then giving reptiworms that are high in calcium? Or that doesn't matter and I am just overthinking?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good. Two meals per day of bugs might be enough though. Gauge that by how hungry she appears though, it's kind of an individual thing. Since you have a T5, if it's at an appropriate height to provide lots of UVB (3-6UVI basking area) then I would just use plain calcium to supplement the roaches because she should be able to synthesize D3 on her own with that kind of lighting. I use Repashy Supercal NoD and it works well.

Hemberger

Original Poster
Thank you for the reply CooperDragon! Oh I will see how she does on two insect feedings then. Lately she has been loosing interest in the reptiworms and eating really well on the dubias. I will get some calcium without the D3 as well.

Thank you!

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Hemberger":1crug14c said:
Hello,
I am feeding dubias and reptiworms (BSFL). Arrow is 2.5 months old. We brought her home on June 6th, last weight was 38g and almost 9in. Reptisun 10.0 T5, 100 wt zoo med basking light.
Is this schedule okay? I am doing 3 meals a day. I feed greens daily, given in the afternoon meal along with live prey.

Monday- Dubia dusted with calcium
Tuesday- Reptiworms dusted with vitamin
Wednesday- Dubia dusted with calcium
Thursday-Reptiworms dusted with vitamin
Friday- Dubia dusted with calcium
Saturday- Reptiworms
Sunday- Dubia

Just finished Albon for coccida. Last dose of Panacur is tomorrow pm for hookworms, seems to be handling the medication okay. Just got the probiotic in today. Will start tomorrow.
I am using Rep-cal that has d3 and Herptivite for vitamins.

Will she be getting too much D3 with the supplement and the T5 bulb or an overdose is unlikely??
On the schedule I was switching it up at every feeding, but then I didn't know if that was setting us up for too much calcium?? Dusting the dubia and then giving reptiworms that are high in calcium? Or that doesn't matter and I am just overthinking?

Set the D3 fortified RepCal aside. I believe you can get plain precipitated Ca powder from RepCal and many others.

The risk is the D3 ingested orally will prevent the proper conversion of dietary calcium to serum D3. See
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=233592
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=232638

If you have a T5HO 10%uvb or higher rated (in %uvb) tube , fortified calcium is unnecessary and can be counterproductive and even lead to VitD toxicity and excess serum calcium.

Should get plenty of calcium from the reptiworms and dusted roaches. When you dust your roaches, the dusting needs only be light, not caked on.

Two meals AT LEAST per day of live insects at his age, if you can manage the logistics , three meals of insects per day is even better.

Hemberger

Original Poster
Thank you kingofnobbys. I will definitely be getting Calcium without the d3. And yes I have been dusting the roaches too much. I stay home with the kids, so feeding 3 times a day usually works out.

Thank you!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom