Help gout or MBD.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

Terrific, I am sure he is loving the nice sunshine, it usually does perk them up most of the time.
I hope you can get that tube bulb mounted better, I think it will make a huge difiference.
Sorry you had such a hard time getting through or having a civil conversation with anyone at the vets office.
Are they going to get the anti-inflammatory to you tomorrow then for pain? I don't think it would hurt to get him on some Allopurinol for awhile anyway, to hopefully see some progress.
Acceptable levels are 1.8mg/dl to 4.0mg/dl Personally, I don't think the levels really should be above 5 & if they are then they should begin to be monitored. That means there is more uric acid being produced than what is being excreted & has started to build up some.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
I picked up the pain/anti-inflammatory yesterday and gave him some this morning. Now I am still working on getting them giving me the allopurinol

Drache613":11e991fa said:
Hello Diane,

Terrific, I am sure he is loving the nice sunshine, it usually does perk them up most of the time.
I hope you can get that tube bulb mounted better, I think it will make a huge difiference.
Sorry you had such a hard time getting through or having a civil conversation with anyone at the vets office.
Are they going to get the anti-inflammatory to you tomorrow then for pain? I don't think it would hurt to get him on some Allopurinol for awhile anyway, to hopefully see some progress.
Acceptable levels are 1.8mg/dl to 4.0mg/dl Personally, I don't think the levels really should be above 5 & if they are then they should begin to be monitored. That means there is more uric acid being produced than what is being excreted & has started to build up some.

Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

Ok, great. How did he do on the anti-inflammatory, did he take it alright?
I hope he is sleeping well, without a black beard or anything. Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
He did pretty good with taking the anti-inflammatory. He has been sleeping well though this whole thing with no black beard at all. I have noticed the swelling down some today so looks like anti-inflammatory is working for that. I have a call into to the vet for him to call me. Will be asking for the meds for gout. I also fixed the lighting and was able to rig something up as you will see in the photo. Thank you so much Tracie for all the advice through this!!

https://ibb.co/nQo2OQ

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

Great, the light placement is much better now, he should be able to get much better UVB exposure. He looks happy basking there!
That's wonderful his swelling has gone down some. Maybe you can get them to get him on a short term allopurinol treatment anyway, just to be sure the levels go down & to help the kidneys out.
At least the anti-inflammatory seems to be helping out for him right now.
I'm happy he isn't black bearding & has been sleeping well also.
I'm glad that I have been able to help out for you. Keep us posted on him!

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
Well the vet never called me again and I did not realize they close early today so I missed my chance to call again. So another day goes by. Very frustrating. But at least he seems to be doing ok. He has been walking on it better but still swelling. I will be giving him a second dose of the anti-inflammatory tomorrow morning.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

That is extremely frustrating! I can't believe that they didn't call you back, but, it's friday so that is probably one reason.
I'm glad to hear that he is doing well despite everything. Hopefully he takes the second dose well also. Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
So finally someone called me back today!! Yay. So this one tells me "yes the vet is saying gout and they will call the medication in to be compounded but this will not cure it but may help prevent future problems/ flare ups" obviously the technician I was speaking to before was not getting the correct information and didn't really know much about the situation. I'm still a little frustrated that the Vet himself did not speak to me and had done it sooner but at least I now will be getting the medication. They are going to give me a month supply. It will not be ready till Monday. The swelling looks like it went down a little but not to much.

https://ibb.co/jMwCQ5

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

That is great they called you & are going to prescribe the allopurinol then. I do think it will help & can manage his condition. Maybe he wont have to be on it permanently especially if the swelling has gone down some. I hope he is feeling better!
Even if he does need it for life, to manage kidney issues, the maintenance dose is very low so it wouldn't be any big deal.
Too bad the vet himself didn't call though, but at least you managed to get something accomplished.
Let us know how he is doing!

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
I had gone away on vacation and my pet sitter was great with giving Leaf his medicine. I got back yesterday and Leaf still has a bit swelling but definitely looks like it is going down. I also notice he started another shedding on his beard and side of face and also on his swollen hand. He seemed very energetic yesterday but today not as much but I assume that has to do with the shedding process. He is eating great and does great at taking the meds. Hope the full swelling all goes down soon!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

That is wonderful news! I am so glad that your pet sitter was diligent about giving him his meds while you were away. At least they seem to be working for him also! :D
Hopefully all of the swelling will go away very soon. He must be so happy to see you now.
It is great he is shedding & full of energy also! What a terrific update for him. Yes, the shedding does sometimes slow them down a bit.

Tracie

LeafGirl

Original Poster
Starting to have a little issue. Leaf has started to not be as easy to give the medicine now. He keeps his jaw so tight now that trying to pry it open is just about impossible. Anybody have any tips on what I could do? ....... The swelling seems to still be going down still but very slowly. Will he need to always be on this medication? Or does gout go away fully? Or will it always come back?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

Oh that is to be expected, they sure can become stubborn over time about taking their meds!
Will he not lick any fluids/meds off of the end of the syringe, or not?
You can try getting his mouth open with a thin piece of cardboard & gently slide it into the side
of the mouth to put food or fluids into the mouth.
It depends on which type of gout he has. If the gout was caused by husbandry/supplemental issues then chances are it should reverse & correct itself with the changes & allopurinol treatments for awhile. He may be able to go off of it to see if the kidneys have gone back to normal.
If it is renal damage or genetic defect, etc, then it's unlikely that they will return to normal & he will have to stay on meds for life to help his kidney function.
I hope he is doing well!

Tracie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Diane,

Sorry it is such a slow process
You mentioned it had gone down before you left but now it isn't budging any?
How much protein are you giving?
Poor guy, he sure is having some trouble! Try to increase the oral fluids for him to try & help his
kidneys out.
How are the other areas looking?
I don't know of anything else it could be. If it doesn't start to improve, you may need to get
another blood test done to see if the levels have changed any.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom