Expert view on vitamin dosing/overdosing

Status
Not open for further replies.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's a good breakdown from a reputable source. One of the big reasons I use and recommend his products quite often.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great article from the reptile magazine. I completely agree.
I wish the information got out to more people regarding the importance of balance.
Thanks for posting it.

Tracie

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
more recent study --- scientific paper in the journal COMPARATIVE BIOCHEMISTRY AND PHYSIOLOGY
(B) 2010

343ivx4.png

Pertinent extract is marked with a red rectangle ....= see page 6 of the pdf file
OVER_DOSE_VIT_D3_2.png

The main consequence of vitamin D toxicity is a buildup of calcium in your beardie's blood (hypercalcemia) and Hypervitaminosis D when too much vitamin D is ingested.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
It's worth noting that while the discussion points based on other publications are probably quite relavent the UVb portion of the above paper ( https://www.vitamindwiki.com/dl959 ).

None of the animals in the control group had detectable levels of 25(OH)D3, whereas in the Arcadia group, all animals had levels above the detection limit of 4 nmol/L (Table 3). This group also had a higher mean 25(OH)D3 plasma concentration than the four other treatments, which were all close to the limit of detection.

kyleena29

Sub-Adult Member
I have a question. I was looking at the Repashy calcium plus. It says use with every feeding. Would this be every day every feeding?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
kyleena29":mmgkfqxb said:
I have a question. I was looking at the Repashy calcium plus. It says use with every feeding. Would this be every day every feeding?

Yes dust bugs lightly and evenly at every feeding every day. It only needs to be added to bugs, not salads.

ShaneBond

Is it necessary to give vitamin dosage to my reptile? If yes then what are the original means of vitamin instead of artificial dosage.

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
ShaneBond":2ottvp6u said:
Is it necessary to give vitamin dosage to my reptile? If yes then what are the original means of vitamin instead of artificial dosage.

A few things are different that necessitate supplements. First our dragons get less variety of insects and plants to eat, and those insects get less variety to eat themselves. Also nature is a bit dirty, but dirt and such can contribute useful minerals from the soil. Finally in the wild many animals are known to seek out vitamins and minerals from unusual places, such as eating clay, chalk or animal bones.

Danadoo

Hi there
I have an 8 week old bearded dragon called Mia :)
Everything is good but just after some advice on supplements,
I have vetark Calci-dust vetark nutrobal and reptivite wo D3
I have been dusting first feed(crickets) with Calci-dust 5 days a week and 2 days nutrobal do I need to use the
Reptivite ?
Also I was told to get Verm x and do this 3 days a week just a bit confused of what and when I should be giving her things :-/
Your advice would be great :)

CaptSquishy

So if I am understanding the article correctly having a daily dose of vitamin/minerals along with a small daily of calcium and D3 is okay and better than giving larger doses less often?
I am at the moment feeding my Dragon dusted veggies and Worms with a 3 days of Calcium and D3
and 3 day of dusted Vitamin mineral mix is this okay? Thanks again for feed back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom