Classroom Pets

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking on behalf of my aunt.

She wants to know if a Bearded Dragon would be an okay classroom pet. (for older kids, like middle-high school ages.)

I told her I really wasn't sure but I knew exactly where to ask :lol:

traildrifterphalanx

Sub-Adult Member
There have been a few members where their dragon was/is a classroom pet.

I personally have no experience, I'm just saying it has been done. As long as it's ok with the school, the correct husbandry is provided, and the dragon isn't terrified and gets plenty of attention, I see it as being fine

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
They are expensive to setup properly and take up a fair bit of space for the enclosure. Weekend care would be an issue (and heating in the off hours). I think it's doable but I'm personally not such a fan of classroom pets.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
IF AND ONLY IF the staff know how to properly care for the beardie even if this means paying for it's needs out of their own pocket....and it goes home on weekends and holidays with them or a responsible student to a properly maintained viv.

Otherwise - I'd say no.

JessW

Hello,
My beardie started out as a classroom pet, so speaking from personal experience.
Pros: Bearded dragons are very appealing to students (mine was in a 7/8 science room). There is a LOT you can teach with them (growth rate, metabolic pathways, ecosystems, adaptations, etc). It is good to have reptile "ambassadors" since many people don't like or care about reptiles. They are very personable and seem to enjoy the attention and activity.
Cons: They need food every day (babies more than once a day)-this means coming in on the weekends or taking your beardie home (stressful). Temps in school are very random (sometimes really hot, sometimes really cold), so it's hard to get temps in the tank right. Sometimes temps in the school mean that you need overnight heat sources, which is a (small) fire risk.

In the end, I decided that my beardie was going to stay at home with me. It was too difficult to have as a classroom pet. I may decide to bring him back when he's bigger, or he may come some days to visit. I do think I will get a lower maintenance reptile for the classroom (perhaps a snake or something). Although I love my beardie, and he is a welcome addition to my home, I wish that one of the many people I asked about a bearded dragon class pet would have talked me out of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom