Humidity levels too low?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squirt585

In the day time a few hours after lights come on for Squirt the humidity level drops to about 10-15% but at night go up to about 40%. Is this a problem? I know I can't have it too high because of respiratory infections... but is having it too low a thing?

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Ideally the humidity should be between 20-30%, but as long as he's well hydrated and you're bathing him regularly to assist with shedding, drinking, pooping, etc. then I wouldn't worry at all about 10-15% humidity. They are desert reptiles, not tropical.

Squirt585

Original Poster
Ok thanks! I feel a lot better about that now. I do bath him once a week and mist him every other day and I keep a small water dish on his cool side. I have been misting the side of the glass on the hot side for the humidity to go up between 20-30%. :D

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
10% is pretty low , just provide plenty of juicy bugs and nice fresh greens and veg , and in this case , perhaps place a water dish in the viv so beardie can drink if thirsty (some do) , and the surface evapouration from this will help boost the humidity.
Give the beardies a couple of drinks per day as well and they'll be fine....they are evolved for arid tropical climates.

In summer here (coastal subtropical NSW) I rarely see relative humidities inside the house under 60%(even with the big Fujitsu split (refrigerative) aircon running on 24/7) . Lowest I've seen is 30% when the "The Doctor" (NW or W winds) is blowing gale force hot dry winds directly from the interior of Australia - as happens every now and then in summer, usually the sea breeze over powers this not always.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom