Yellow spots on tail and thighs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I have a juvenile or baby bearded dragon, I'm not sure which. We're assuming he's a boy because of dark scales around his jaw. He is about 6 months old and he is a good beardie and loves to be held. He has shed recently. The shedding went fine. We give him 6-12 crickets every Wednesday and Sunday, and since we got him a little less than a month ago, we're still working on getting him more each week. He usually eats parsley with flukers juvenile bearded dragon mix sprinkled on top. He loves being held but he doesn't go in his water bowl much. We have a rock that he loves to bask on. We don't have a thermometer yet, but he is always very energetic and he has only opened his mouth while basking twice as far as we know. He has a 10.0 UVB light, which is the best option according to most people I've talked to. He has a red light, too. He sleeps soundly at night with it.

What's been concerning me is faint yellow patches under his tail and thighs. Other discussions I've seen about this topic had darker spots. The yellow stops abruptly at about half his tail and a little less than his ankles. None on his underbelly, though. He's still very active and eats his food. When I pick him up he'll resist a bit by squirming backwards through my hand. I'm very concerned if it's a fungus. You can tell where the yellow is from the scales because they seem dull and almost stuck together and very smooth looking. Here's some pics. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions, I will answer with what I know ?
92404-6527956673.jpg
92404-6752672484.jpg
92404-6014374443.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that is just areas of unshed skin. Beardies nearly always shed unevenly so they look a bit crazy at times. :) That will eventually come off with no problem. You can spray him lightly in his tank every day to help the shed come off more easily, or if he likes being soaked you can do that for 10 minutes a day in warm water.

He has a nice looking set up, lots of climbing areas for him to get exercise . No extra heatlamp is needed at night, the temp. can safely drop to about 67 ....if it gts lower, buy a CHE [ ceramic heat emitter ] that produces heat without light. The red lights are not actually good for beardies, any light can partially disrupt sleep at night [ think of yourself sleeping with a red light on ] and they are not a good heat bulb either.

And it would be god to get him live food every day if you can....but he looks reasonably healthy there at the moment.

DragonsRoar

Original Poster
AHBD":3gktet1q said:
Hi there, that is just areas of unshed skin. Beardies nearly always shed unevenly so they look a bit crazy at times. :) That will eventually come off with no problem. You can spray him lightly in his tank every day to help the shed come off more easily, or if he likes being soaked you can do that for 10 minutes a day in warm water.

He has a nice looking set up, lots of climbing areas for him to get exercise . No extra heatlamp is needed at night, the temp. can safely drop to about 67 ....if it gts lower, buy a CHE [ ceramic heat emitter ] that produces heat without light. The red lights are not actually good for beardies, any light can partially disrupt sleep at night [ think of yourself sleeping with a red light on ] and they are not a good heat bulb either.

And it would be god to get him live food every day if you can....but he looks reasonably healthy there at the moment.

Ahh I can't give thanks enough! I feel so much better knowing that he is ok. Thank you for the information on the red lights, too. I'll leave it off tonight and see how he is in the morning. I'll be sure to give him a warm bath to help him shed, too. Thanks again :D

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I completely agree, it is just areas that are going to shed & NOT any fungal issues. :D
He does have a little beardie belly. Definitely do try to feed a bit more if you can so he can reach his potential size.

Tracie

EllenD

Gray-bearded Member
Please feed him more than 6-12 crickets twice a week, he is very small for a 6 month old bearded dragon, he looks like a 3 month old. He should be allowed to eat as many crickets as he wants in a 10 minute period EVERY DAY, TWICE A DAY! My girl is 7 months old, and is 3 to 4 times the size of your beardie, and she eats 20+ crickets twice a day, every day, which is average. 6-12 crickets twice a week is starving your bearded dragon.

And he needs a lot more than parsley every day as well, please offer a variety of collard greens, mustard greens, Dandelion Greens, turnip greens, and various veggies like squash, bell peppers, broccoli, green beans, peas, etc. Parsley isn't going to do it.

Your dragon is stunted already, and unless you offer live crickets, Dubia roaches, Phoenix worms, or silkworms EVERY DAY as much as he can eat, he will never fully grow. Right now my concern is that you're starving him, 6-12 crickets Wednesday and Sunday is not proper feeding.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
He's a bit on the small side but no where near starving. The O.P feeds pellets + veggies on the insect free days which helps stabilize his growth. I've also had dragons that are huge by 6 months, and some people are huge by the age of 14-15 [ think especially of teen boys who are football or basketball players ] That doesn't mean they will live a longer or healthier life. The dragon can use more food but is not unhealthy , is active and the O.P is seeing about more live food in his diet. For now he looks reasonably healthy, they really don't need to be power fed like many of us do to attain near adult size at 10 months old. But we all have a passion for their care and I know that's where the suggestions are coming from. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom