Beardie bonding?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my female dragon is finally starting to "love" me lol every night she snuggles in my shirt for 2 hours and sleeps.
My male dragon...not so much. He still is pretty stand off ish and gets wild when he's out of his tank...trying to run every where and escape me. How can I bond with him? Just slower going with him?
91797-1005392070.jpg
Dragon snuggles <3

Mysty

Juvie Member
He might simply enjoy exploring more than anything else. I also have one laid back and one explorer.

If you really want to pet him more, a trail of food leading to you can catch an explorer's interest.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
Yep me too ....

But even my livewire is starting to get more into daddy snuggles more, wont be long and I'll once again have two beardies who love mummy and daddy snuggles (like Puff and Rex were).

KhaleesiStormborn

Original Poster
Mysty":2hkrqc4g said:
He might simply enjoy exploring more than anything else. I also have one laid back and one explorer.

If you really want to pet him more, a trail of food leading to you can catch an explorer's interest.

He's going to be a very unhappy camper then. I cant let him free range because we have a cat...and I'm terrified of losing him somewhere. We put the cat in the room for a little bit and got the dragons out (separate, not together) daenerys just chilled on my lap (the female ) drogo wouldn't stay, and he's fast!! I'm going to have to look into a harness/leash for him maybe

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
do you ever give your dragons hug and kisses. When i first got squishy, he was skittish on everything. i would pet him and love him everyday, give him kisses, he even licks my face, (lizard kisses).
i love dragons, they are funniest most unique little ones in the world.

KhaleesiStormborn

Original Poster
BeardieLover232":h7lmfsqt said:
do you ever give your dragons hug and kisses. When i first got squishy, he was skittish on everything. i would pet him and love him everyday, give him kisses, he even licks my face, (lizard kisses).

Oh yes. They get kisses. Every time my daughter kisses ones nose they lick her lol guess he's just gonna take more time, or be a loner

BeardieLover232

Hatchling Member
KhaleesiStormborn":2hvkuw3q said:
BeardieLover232":2hvkuw3q said:

Oh yes. They get kisses. Every time my daughter kisses ones nose they lick her lol guess he's just gonna take more time, or be a loner
he will get there, i don't think he knows what love is yet. :D he will find some in his little beardie heart! :)

Mysty

Juvie Member
KhaleesiStormborn":2n4get4g said:
Mysty":2n4get4g said:

He's going to be a very unhappy camper then. I cant let him free range because we have a cat...and I'm terrified of losing him somewhere. We put the cat in the room for a little bit and got the dragons out (separate, not together) daenerys just chilled on my lap (the female ) drogo wouldn't stay, and he's fast!! I'm going to have to look into a harness/leash for him maybe

Its super easy to make a harness and lead with some old t shirt material and the toggles you get on a raincoat. Getting them in is the fun part.

KhaleesiStormborn

Original Poster
Mysty":sv226w0y said:
KhaleesiStormborn":sv226w0y said:
Mysty":sv226w0y said:

Its super easy to make a harness and lead with some old t shirt material and the toggles you get on a raincoat. Getting them in is the fun part.
I tried a simple slip type knot around the shoulders and chest...I saw it on Google. It was crap! Don't do that way! Lol
I wanna get some little leather strips to make them and put some little dragon wings on them <3

SHBailey

Gray-bearded Member
Some people use a "hip leash" with their bearded dragons, and that seems to work better than one around the shoulders and chest, which may restrict their breathing too much. But I can't speak from experience because I've never tried to put my beardie on a leash.

They all have different personalities, and some are just naturally more trusting and more into cuddles than others. It helps to remember to approach them from the front or the side and not from above or behind (as a predator would). It also helps to go slow with them and handle them a little every day so both you and the dragon can get used to it. Also, if you have one that's really energetic it's probably best to let them run around and blow off steam before you try to get them to settle down and snuggle. They'll probably be more likely to appreciate some quiet cuddling at bedtime (lights out) when they're sleepy, and once they've learned that their human caretakers are warm and safe. :love5:

Hope this helps at least a little.

TWINKLET4

KhaleesiStormborn":39k9gau1 said:
So my female dragon is finally starting to "love" me lol every night she snuggles in my shirt for 2 hours and sleeps.
My male dragon...not so much. He still is pretty stand off ish and gets wild when he's out of his tank...trying to run every where and escape me. How can I bond with him? Just slower going with him?
91797-1005392070.jpg
Dragon snuggles <3

Can I ask how long it took her to start to 'love' you? And how much handling/ interaction a day it took to get to this stage please?

Really happy for you!

TWINKLET4

Mysty":3dedc2u2 said:

Aren't they all 'explorers', when they're at the kiddie stage?

Say yes!

Mysty

Juvie Member
TWINKLET4":n1yvgtkw said:
Mysty":n1yvgtkw said:

Aren't they all 'explorers', when they're at the kiddie stage?

Say yes!

Yes! Probably. Maybe.

KhaleesiStormborn

Original Poster
TWINKLET4":1hrq3h16 said:
KhaleesiStormborn":1hrq3h16 said:
91797-1005392070.jpg
Dragon snuggles <3

Can I ask how long it took her to start to 'love' you? And how much handling/ interaction a day it took to get to this stage please?

Really happy for you!

We got then in mid march....so....a while lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom