Not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

wallsie7550

So today is my second day of owning my baby dragon.
She is 13 weeks old.

2 hours after bringing her home she ate her first meal - all by herself with no coaxing, same with her 2nd and 3rd meal. I have to syringe feed her her medicine (calcium from vet) and yesterday she was hard (ish) to catch - meaning she was full of energy.

But today when I went to catch her for her medicine she didn't even move or try to scramble away.
And I have put her food in her dish and she is not interested at all! She is just sitting there not moving and has her eyes shut.

Should I be worried? Or is she just a little stressed from moving.

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
welcome fellow slave...

Your first day was very good one I'd say.... most people have very stressed hatchlings/juveniles at first who are stressed because of the relocation and are overwhelmed by all the new sounds, smells, sights, new people, new foods, new tank, new feeding schedule. Can take up to a week for them to settle in and adjust before they are feeding well and have worked out the new schedule and new slave/s.
I'd be inclined to mark this down as a case of relocation stress and only a short term glitch , in a few days to a week she'll be eating you out of house and home and studying you intently.

I am curious .... why is she on liquid calcium already ?

She may well have been starving hungry when you brought her home and so was very keen to eat, now's she's eaten and had her fill he may just be sleeping it off somewhat, some beardies are very shy of being watched while they eat.

If the temperatures are not right in his tank , she may be too cold to actually digest her food.
If the UVA is too dilute , this will have an effect on her apetite and activity levels.

But just in case it's something else a few questions : to help us diagnose this we need very detailed information about the current setup, the diet.

A common mistake is cohabitation (if sharing tank or can see another beardie) , even if she can see another beardie , or a snake or very large lizard ?
Are there other pets (cats, dogs ) in the household ?

And details of your feeding schedule and other husbandry aspects .
Might be a very easy fix .

Photos of the tank and showing substrate and lighting and of the beardie will help too. Use XIMG button to upload photos from your computer.

How heavy is she?
...... recommend weighing him regularly (weekly say)?

Can you give us a good rundown on the setup and schedules (light and feeding) :
TEMPERATURES ?
........daytime warm zone
........overnight
........basking spot
........ how are you measuring your temperatures ?
TOO COLD = SLEEPY DRAGON

UVA AND UVB ADEQUATE ?
........is the uv rated AT LEAST 10%UVB ?
........is it a COMPACT (curly globe & WATTAGE ?
or a T8 tube ?
or a T5 tube ?
or an MVB ?
........the brand (not all UVB compacts and tubes are created equal or as well , many shops sell their own brand (Zilla, All Living Things, Reptile-One, Nat Geo) which are cheap Chinese clones made very cheaply using very poor quality quartz glass and cheap phosphors ==> very poor UV spectrum produced incl UVC band and bad parts of the UVB band)
........is it covered (in a domestic fluorescent light fitting )? == BAD
........is it sitting ontop a mesh top ? == BAD
........how far from basking spot ?
too far and the UVA and UVB WILL BE TOO DILUTE.
UVA FLUX TOO LOW where dragon is ==> a very lethargic dragon w/ a very poor apetite just in the short term ,
and neurological problems if this persists ,
not to mention MVB if UVB flux too low long enough with inadequate metabolisation of dietary calcium or inadequate intake out calcium

TANK
....... size (L x W x H) and construction , photos of the setup are often helpful .

SUBSTRATE ?
........is it sand ? == BAD AND IF CALCISAND this is EXTREMELY BAD/LETHAL
........is it particulate ? == BAD

SHARING TANK ? == BAD

TOO SHORT A PHOTOPERIOD (lights are not kept on long enough each day , will make beardie think it is winter , recommend at least 14 HRS PER DAY)

FEEDING SCHEDULE (I recommend at least 2 hrs lights/heat on before first live feed and after last feed of the day)
....... when are you offering live feeder insects ? what are they ? how big are they ?
....... when are you offering greens and other veg ? what are you offering ?

What season is it (there where you live) ?

and

weather can have an impact on your beardie's behavior, so what had the weather been like in the problem period ?

wallsie7550

Original Poster
False alarm!! I'm a bit of a worry wart at the best of times.
She must settle in fast as she ate last night again and has eaten again this morning :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcidicReality
Top Bottom